Supplementing with FM for baby?

snowbear

Hi, I've been exclusively bfding all along and my dd's already 13 months old. I just brought her for her pneumoccocal jab yday and the doc said that her wt's at the 10th percentile and suggested supplementing with 1 FM feed per day coz she's super active and the calories in FM are higher. I'm really very reluctant to start on FM since my supply for bm has never been an issue. Plus, I'm afraid that my dd may not want bm after i give her fm... Anyway, the previous doc i brought her to never really commented on her wt and will usually just say that she's just small and there's nothing to worry about (she has been hovering around the 10th percentile for quite awhile). Btw, she's 7.57kg, her birth wt was 2.43kg.

I'm really torn now between helping her put on wt and continuing with exclusive bfding. Can anyone give me any advice?

candy_ian

i think supplementing with FM shldn't b a issue, my 5 yr old niece has been on total breastfeeding but at 1 yr old my sil started pediasure due to her small size n she did put on wt with formula n she didn't reject lacthing on too.. She's still lacthing on at night b4 bed as that's her bonding time with her mum.. My sil sings n talks to her while latching since birth.

stonston

If she's not been putting on weight on BM, it could be your diet. Babies need milk that's rich in fats (which FM has alot of). Alot of mummies 'go on diet' to lose weight or maintain their figure when they BF, it is quite tough to produce good quality milk with a poor diet.

When I was BFing, I ate alot & I ate fish at every meal. I also ensured I got healthy source of fats like avocado milkshake, drink alot of milk, etc. I took mostly oily fish during my BFing career & the milk I've produced is always oily.

My boy was born tall & skinny but he caught up with other kids his age by 3mths.

Anyway, at 13mths, solids should be her main diet. FM or BM won't make much difference. You need to ensure she's taking enough nutritious food & if you are really desperate, you can try giving pediasure (in sippy cup form instead of bottle so that she won't reject latching).

By the way, try giving foods like potato, sweet potato, pumpkin in place of rice. You'll see the weight gain faster.

uddermummy

hi snowbear,

other than the weight, did the doc give other reasons for supplementing? Cos Alicia looks really active and alert, and I believe she has been hitting all her milestones?

Maybe you can try asking lactation consultants or BMSG, or another pro-bf doctor?

Your dd may just take after you and your hubby. :p

Don't be discouraged! Whatever decision you make will be in the interests of Alica. :Dancing_wub:

snowbear

hi snowbear,

other than the weight, did the doc give other reasons for supplementing? Cos Alicia looks really active and alert, and I believe she has been hitting all her milestones?

Maybe you can try asking lactation consultants or BMSG, or another pro-bf doctor?

Your dear daughter may just take after you and your hubby. :p

dont't be discouraged! Whatever decision you make will be in the interests of Alica. :Dancing_wub:
The doc did say that Alicia's very active and doing well and wt is just one of the ways to gauge baby's growth. And he also said that probably the reason why she puts on wt so slowly is coz she moves much more than she eats... She's hitting all the milestones so far. Anyway, the doc didn't comment on her wt at first: it was i who asked him to chk which percentile she's on that's why he chked and gave his suggestions.

snowbear

If she's not been putting on weight on breast milk, it could be your diet. Babies need milk that's rich in fats (which FM has alot of). Alot of mummies 'go on diet' to lose weight or maintain their figure when they BF, it is quite tough to produce good quality milk with a poor diet.

When I was BFing, I ate alot & I ate fish at every meal. I also ensured I got healthy source of fats like avocado milkshake, drink alot of milk, etc. I took mostly oily fish during my BFing career & the milk I've produced is always oily.

My boy was born tall & skinny but he caught up with other kids his age by 3mths.

Anyway, at 13mths, solids should be her main diet. FM or breast milk won't make much difference. You need to ensure she's taking enough nutritious food & if you are really desperate, you can try giving pediasure (in sippy cup form instead of bottle so that she won't reject latching).

By the way, try giving foods like potato, sweet potato, pumpkin in place of rice. You'll see the weight gain faster.
I eat oily fish like cod and salmon only once to twice a wk coz it's expensive... I dun diet coz bfding has already helped me to lose wt till almost pre-pregnancy state.

She was born small but she caught up when she was 2 months and her old photos of her show that she was very plump in the first few months (she had like 3 chins and can't see her neck :tlaugh:). After she started being mobile her wt gain slowed down a lot.

I'm not desperate for her to put on wt actually... just that the doc made it sound like it's very impt to increase her wt.

I've just started giving her potato again (she's not that keen on it). She rejected pumpkin the other day... Anyway I shall try to increase her sweet potato intake. How much sweet potato shld she eat for a meal?

stonston

at 13 months old, she should be taking at least 250g of carbo in 1 day (weight before cooking).
For protein foods should be at least 180g. Fruits & vegetables should be at least 100g each.

If she's active like you said, then she'll definitely need more.

uddermummy

the 10th percentile is for age or for height? if it's like the 10th percentile for age, it still seems to be quite okay. Coz bbs of the same age do and should come in different sizes. :p

hmmmm, I like doris fok from nuh cos she's v supportive and helpful. You may want to try asking her?

snowbear

the 10th percentile is for age or for height? if it's like the 10th percentile for age, it still seems to be quite okay. Coz bbs of the same age do and should come in different sizes. :p

hmmmm, I like doris fok from nuh cos she's very supportive and helpful. You may want to try asking her?
She's 10th percentile for wt for children of her age. Yes, i also believe that children come in all sizes and she happens to be on the smaller side...

Called Yen Ping from KKH today. Her reply was exactly what i expected: she says it's unnecessary to introduce fm coz alicia's doing well in terms of meeting milestones and is healthy, alert and happy. Just told hubby her recommendation and her personal experience she shared with me. Hopefully hubby will be supportive of my decision instead of going along with the doctor's suggestion.

snowbear

at 13 months old, she should be taking at least 250g of carbo in 1 day (weight before cooking).
For protein foods should be at least 180g. Fruits & vegetables should be at least 100g each.

If she's active like you said, then she'll definitely need more.
hmm, i'm wondering if the amt she shld eat shld be according to her age or her size... coz when i mentioned the amt she eats to the doc he said she's eating enuff for her size... so i'm just a bit confused here...

stonston

hmm, i'm wondering if the amt she shld eat shld be according to her age or her size... coz when i mentioned the amt she eats to the doc he said she's eating enuff for her size... so i'm just a bit confused here...
"Appropriate for her size" means the amount you are giving her is to maintain her size, it's not enough to help her GROW.

Your main worry now is that she is not growing as much as you like physically, so your focus should be increasing her intake so that she has excess nutrients to GROW instead of all being burnt away by her energy level.

Every child is different. If the current amount is deemed inadequate, you should explore increasing food instake instead of giving FM unless your child refuses food at all.