supplements to increase bm

KLTan

Hi mummies,

Can i check if anyone out there know what supplement to take to effectively increase bm?

Have been latching n pumping every 3-4hrs but bm always vv little ..

I have been taking Motherlove more milk plus. Help a little...how old is baby now? If its within first 6 weeks..it may be little as body needs time to produce milk. I hv horribly low supply too and my son is 17 weeks thus taking the supplements

ling.er

Can try drink milo before you do latching or pumping.
Don't stress on b.m !Feguneek help some mum too.

KLTan

My little on is 14weeks old.. i shall try milo n milk plus ... but is there any side effects for taking supplement to increase bm?

Don't think there are side effects. Motherlove more milk plus is like fenugreek. Just read up on the Internet. Lots of mother use them. Very expensive though. $85 a bottle. I have a few girlfriends using them. But then again it might work better on some than the other..

Lingz12

I used to be able to pump 150ml to 180ml every 4hrs.. But recently detected a dip in supply and could get only 100ml, sometimes less than that! My girl is 12 weeks old oredi and I'm gg back to work soon.. Desperately needs to build up my milk bank now and this had to happen! I have been pumping 3hr-ly now except at night cos can't wake up but my last pump is 11+pm and I will latch my girl at 3+am wen she wakes up.. Any other ways to boost supply? I'm oredi taking Motherlove.. Like not much help.. Sobz!

bananagurita

Hi mummies, may i suggest to drink more water (until you have to visit the loo every hourly kind of intake) and soup especially those boiled with ground nuts/ any nuts will do. Plus i realized if you have been latching baby on, the breast couldnt really adjust to pump anymore. I used to do exclusive pumping and i could pump a liter each time but now tt i exclusive bf, only 1-2 drops came out -.- just my 2cents :)

@Lingz12.

Were you able to latch your baby too? Or you just rely on pumping. For breastmilk supply, there is a direct proportion to its demand, the higher the demand, the higher the supply. So if there might be a decrease on the supply, most often than not, the demand might have decreased. Also, stress can actually cause our body to produce adrenaline that hinders milkflow, so you may also check on that. Regarding galactagogues' effect, there is no known scientific evidence that it can increase breastmilk supply. again, the supply of our breastmilk depends on the demand- that's how nature works. Thus, for some taking medications to increase their breastmilk supp;ly may work, for some it may not.

Good luck to your work and hope that you find a way to figure it out.

-Sarah

Lingz12

I'm doing more pumping than latching now.. I pump through the day except for night feeds I will latch my girl (too lazy to get out of bed to warm ebm for her).. I have tried to simulate increased demand by pumping more frequently (3hrs instead of my usual 4hrs) but it doesn't seem to work.. But then this is my 3rd day of trying.. Hopefully the milk supply will improve soon!

Lingz12 I hv the same situation as you. Taking Motherlove. Help just a little. But I think it's just how my body works.. Inconsistent volume. I have been pumping 3 hourly in the day n latching my son(16 weeks) at night. I used to do the same thing for my elder son and produce 1 litre a day. And doing the same thing now and really little milk. Puzzling too. I drank soup papaya , pig trotter etc but all min increase.not enough at all for my son... Prob have to stop soon.,,,

andieluv2

juz persevere on ppl! thats wat happened to me too! my supply wasnt consistent and sometimes i realised it will dip for no apparent reason. but it will go bck on its own. juz persevere. stress can be another reason. so keep calm. i realised that looking at bb's picture, smalling bb's clothes and thinking abt happy things helps to bring abd let down. hth.

I could pump 200ml previously now it can be as low as 20ml in the evening and morning only 130ml.. My son (16weeks)is on alternate feed ( formula n then breastmilk) not sure if its still gd as out of his 8 feeds , 3 are formula, 3 breastmilk and 2 direct feed in the night.... Wonder if I should continue bf.. Super tiring

Lingz12

I could pump 180 to 200ml previously.. Now 100 to 120ml.. It is barely enuff for my girl.. Wen I latch her for night feeds, she suckles v long with choot choot sounds.. Like v dry.. Contemplating just exclusive pumping else she like not full with direct latch.. Even exclusive pumping oso may not be sufficient.. Sighz.. I'm realli reluctant to supplement with formula milk but looks like we are headed tat way.. Pumping 3hrly is so tedious esp wen bb is crying away demanding to be carried wen I'm pumping.. So feel like giving up.. I've been drinking water like a camel but still see no visible results.. Argh!

KLTan

I tried to drink milo and it helps .. last time my bm is vv pathetic .. now at least something .. again .. every ppl diff way of increasing .. i found mine .. u can try to drink milo .. but now sure if it works .. but again .. dun give up ladies .. jia you :))

Drink lots of water and take protein shake. Supplement with calcium too. do light exercise to activate your body cells so can improve your flow of bm.

SJMom

Hi Mommies,

Letting go some nursing tea and nursing supplement:

1. Sacred tea @ $35 each (retail at $38)
2. Earth Mama Angel Baby organice milk tea @$10 each (retail at $19)
3. Motherlove more milk plus @ $60 for 120 caps (retail @ $99)
4. Nursing Time Tea @ $30 each (Retail at $45) - Good for mothers who need to increase mammal
gland to produce milk.

Al authentic and shipped directly from US. PM me if you're interested. Thank you!

ling.er

My girl is 1 week old now which I been latching her fully since first day of birth. No matter what I tell myself must die die bF till at least a 6 month. If possible I wish I could bF her till 1 or 2 year old. Some mummy try out latching / pumping / fugeneek / mother milk etc.. No matter what don't give up.. This is what I been doing and I find it at least a something for me cos my first preg totally less milk as whole day only pump out 50 ml and latching my son he not full enough..

- latching directly as long as 30-60min
- pump 2 hour later after latch ( I pump 2 time a day only )
- drink soup every meal
- drink red date mix black date tea ( boil by my mother in law )
- morning 1 cup milo as breakfast & 8pm plus 1 cup milo
- after breakfast and dinner 1 hour , I took 1 pill of feguneek

Every pump I can collect 50ml as now.. Already happy I got this much already.. Slowly slowly I will increase the feguneek and milo in take as well Rest more also important..
If cannot sleep ,lie on bed and rest also can..

Jia you all breast feeding mummy..

Orangepops

I used to be able to pump 150ml to 180ml every 4hrs.. But recently detected a dip in supply and could get only 100ml, sometimes less than that! My girl is 12 weeks old oredi and I'm gg back to work soon.. Desperately needs to build up my milk bank now and this had to happen! I have been pumping 3hr-ly now except at night cos can't wake up but my last pump is 11+pm and I will latch my girl at 3+am wen she wakes up.. Any other ways to boost supply? I'm oredi taking Motherlove.. Like not much help.. Sobz!
I am over producing breastmilk and in fact have to dump a couple of frozen bags as a result. I thought i can share some things that I do which might help you build up your supply. My dd is now 10 weeks, > 6 kg, and still exclusively on breastmilk.

1- ATTACHMENT PARENTING - i sleep with my dd and keep her close to me most parts of the day. direct skin touching helps our body to release oxytosin which helps breastmilk supply. at night especially, i left myself and the baby fall asleep with her face pressed to my chest. kids like it because of body heat, i am honestly often too exhausted to remove them, and it actually helps stimulate supply. attachment parenting also means spending time to talk and snuggle often, and attending to the baby before she cries too much.

2- SLOW & STEADY WEIGHT LOSS - i really, really wish that i was already back to my pre-preggy weight but i know dramatic weight loss will impact my milk supply. rather, watch your body weight and make sure you are not losing weight too fast. if you are, then try to ramp up on quality food that rich in good cholesterol & fat such as avocados and nuts. Stay away from weight loss medicines and gym programs that do not explicitly have your doctor's approval. I had made the mistake of popping by California Fitness whose trainers made me feel bad for not losing more than 12 kg after giving birth when i was just 6 weeks post-partum. I never went back again and instead go to Contours which has slow and steady breastfeeding friendly program.

3- NUTRITION - i dont take herbs except echinacea when i was sick with the flu. i heard about fenugreek and malunggay but my problem is over-supply so i dont have reason to try them yet. i do take a lot of warm fluids (ie soup, water, etc) and i try to stay away from caffeine (ie coffee, green tea, soda). i choose healthy food like avocados mixed with a teaspoon of honey, bananas, papayas, oatmeal, whole wheat bread, briwn rice, nuts like macadamias, almonds, etc, fresh salmon, leafy green salads, and at least a fist-sized serving of fish and meat a day. i like to watch out for my salt intake because i notice it makes my supply dip. i also watch out for my dairy intake because i notice it caused gas in both my ds and dd.

4- LATCHING & PUMPING - i do both latching and pumping. the suction is different between pump and baby, so both are needed for the best milk supply. i dont believe in expressing every 3 hours because i noticed i produce less milk when i am stressed or tired. rather, i have a 4-6 hourly schedule. sometimes i pump first then directly latch her, sometimes i latch first then pump, sometime i only pump, sometimes i only latch... but important to note that after dd finishes latch feeding, i still pump from that breast because otherwise the milk she cannot finish hardens and causes me pain. i use a double electric pump only because this also helps increase vs single pump.

I hope something i shared here can help you. I just want to share an important note from my lactation guide before: The hind (back) milk is fattier than the fore (front/first) milk. Ideally make sure you are able to bring out the hind milk as this is what will help our babies gain weight. You can do this by emptying your breast until the hind milk is reached.

Good luck mummies!!! Dont give up!!!

been eating fenugreek but really got tired from eating 9 TABLETS daily. plus they r quite ex. so switched to lactation cookies. tried their weekly pack n they worked quite well. so stopped fenugreek n started their mthly pack. nw have more ebm den when i was eating fenugreek. super gd. gotten them from Milk Of Love | It's all about Breastmilk.