swaddling options

woofy55

louis is going to outgrown the cloth diaper i used for swaddling him soon. what alternatives can I use to continue swaddle him?

apollo

woofy, for ds, i only swaddled him until he reached 1 week old.. the reasons are, cos he dont lik to be swaddled, and my mum also feel that we shdnt swaddle him too long, shd let his hands n legs out to 'exercise'..

PinkDiamonds

I suggest you don't swaddle your boy anymore as he is approaching the stage where he is exploring his body. Usually people will swaddle till about 1 month old.

There are swaddlers sold at places like Mothercare, Kiddy Palace, etc. I am not sure if they come in sizes, but I did use a swaddler on my girl when she was 4 months old due to very bad eczema and we used it to prevent her from scratching her face.

Phoebii Cheng

For me, when my son after 1 mth old, we don't really swaddle him, we only use the nappy cloth to wrap his legs...

meiteoh

I never swaddled Eva - reason being coz she'll wriggle her way out of it and she likes to sleep with her arms and legs everywhere!

But like the others have mentioned, if there is no real need to swaddle, then don't as they need to learn to get used to their bodies, the wide open space, etc. Try exploring other options to help him feel more secure and comfy. :)

woofy55

ya, actually i stopped swaddling him since he's about 3 or 4wks cos he also wriggled himself out. but recently he couldn't sleep tight after i bounced him in the bouncer (day time) - i realised he gets startled easily and his hands trying to grab the air - one day I hold his hand and use the diaper cloth to cover him and fold the excess cloth behind him so tightening his hands to prevent him from grabbing the air and he slept better. so since then, i started to lay the diaper cloth on the bouncer and after he slept, i swaddle his hands and he managed to sleep better - His legs are not swaddled inside like what was done in hospital though. i din't wanna cover him with the cloth tug behind him like what i did before cos, i noticed that when he tried to wriggle himself out, his hands will make the cloth cover his face and that is scary.

But I noticed that he seems to be outgrowing the diaper cloth soon, so checking out here is there bigger cloth that i can use, or any other options i can explore. Mothercare is selling the swaddling me, or something like that... anyone uses that before?

Nite time, i didn't swaddle him cos i put him on his side on his cot.

xicloudix

ya, actually i stopped swaddling him since he's about 3 or 4wks cos he also wriggled himself out. but recently he couldn't sleep tight after i bounced him in the bouncer (day time) - i realised he gets startled easily and his hands trying to grab the air - one day I hold his hand and use the diaper cloth to cover him and fold the excess cloth behind him so tightening his hands to prevent him from grabbing the air and he slept better. so since then, i started to lay the diaper cloth on the bouncer and after he slept, i swaddle his hands and he managed to sleep better - His legs are not swaddled inside like what was done in hospital though. i did not't wanna cover him with the cloth tug behind him like what i did before cos, i noticed that when he tried to wriggle himself out, his hands will make the cloth cover his face and that is scary.

But I noticed that he seems to be outgrowing the diaper cloth soon, so checking out here is there bigger cloth that i can use, or any other options i can explore. Mothercare is selling the swaddling me, or something like that... anyone uses that before?

try use a beansprout pillow... it should works the same...

layzeemum

Hi, my boy is 7 weeks old. I swaddle him at night cos I feel he is able to sleep better but during the day I swaddle lightly and leave his hands out for him to stretch. beanie pillow lay across his chest. legs not covered.

he will jerk himself awake every now and then and I will have to go pat pat. if bad jerk and massive cry, then I will carry and rock him to sleep - cycle starts all over again :(

uddermummy

There are readymade swaddling cloths that you can just velcro bb in, can get them from places like mums n babe and mothercare. I used that for my girl till she was about 3 months old.

It took my girl some time to get used to sleeping without being swaddled.

adelynn

i use swaddle me type of swaddle since birth n now sometimes when she gets very disturbed with her sleep. i bouht the NB size but quickly realized it can be used for bigger babies ( think they go by weight). it's easy to use with velcros in place.

diymummy

You can also let baby sleep on his tummy.

My baby has been sleeping on his tummy since birth. He didn't like to be swaddled.

Ting

i think i swaddled pin less than 1 mth. she always find her way to wiggle out..
u can try bean bag actually, but not much use for pin too, she end up kcking it away.
2 mths old they will be starting to explore alr. so i think it is ok if he is not swaddled.

woofy55

haiz.. i tried not swaddling him today.. and give him the beansprout bolster for him to hug... within an hour.. he wake up soo many times.. :( problem is every 3hrs past super fast every day!!! after feeding louis, settling him to rest/sleep... left only abt an hour to his next feed.. then within that hour.. he can wake up soooooo many times... no time to pump milk... no time to wash his bottles (oredi accumlate 3 feeds!!!) ... no time to prepare lunch.. lunch must be prepared in different sections... like this msg.. i've been on it since noon time.. ^.^"' ... sometimes i feel soooooooooo tired. when i read posts like your baby can play and doze off on their own.. i am sooooo envious.. i just wonder what went wrong. cos i don't know how to "discipline" louis? i feel so lousy at times when l couldn't settle his cries... i know every baby is different.. sometimes i feel like dumping him outside the house... but whenever i see his big round eyes looking at me (when he's not crying) and cooing... i feel so blessed and he can just melt me as instantly as he can make me mad.

Now, another big problem is... my milk supply seems to be dropping drastically!! :( I am thinking since i got no time to pump... i latch him - but he can sometimes take 1 over hour, kept dozing off.. and when i sit him up, he'll cry cos hungry mah... but latch him again.. he zzz again... aiyoh... i'm really going crazy... then in the end... i still have to top him up with formula.. so now the feeding time also go haywired.. eg. if his feeding time is 2pm.. i latch him until 3+... then formula feed him.. he finish his milk say 3.30pm... if 3hrs interval.. i would assume his next feed is abt 6pm.. and not 5pm (where i start latching him) - duno.. see when my "alarm clock" wake up.

then sometimes my parents misses him... wants to bring louis over... but i think to bring him there for whole day is more then fighting a war... gotta bring sooooo many things!!! His 6 sterilized bottles, his rocker, car seat cos my dad come and pick us, diaper bag.. "and go there already.. i also can't let go... so i'll still stay around and "help".. then evening time my hubby come and pick us... bring the soooo many things back again, wash him up to prepare for bed... and he not necessary will sleep... duno will do untl what time... by the time his last feed... i am totally exhausted, and he duno why... at nite.. sleep.. can make so much noise... uncomfy.. so 1 nite also gota duno pick him up to burp how many times... then perhaps 4hrs + later (which after settling him, left me abt 2-3hrs), he will wake up for his next feed..

ahhhh... motherhood... it's a love/hate feeling!!!! I'm tired... and it's just only coming to 2nd mth... :( and this is 1st time hubby handle a baby - though he trying to take over so i can rest - when louis is fussy and crying.. he'll be lost and stress ... so I gotta take over again... haiz... i'm so exhausted... :'( ..

sorry - this post suddenly became a ranting session... :(

woofy55

You can also let baby sleep on his tummy.

My baby has been sleeping on his tummy since birth. He didn't like to be swaddled.
LOuis also don't like to be swaddle.. can only swaddle after he's asleep so his hands won't anyhow fly and wake up.. as for sleeping on tummy, his face will be flat on the mattress and he doesn't know how to turn and then will become pek chek and cry loudly.. haiz.. will train him on that and see how.. thanks.. :)

woofy55

tks mummies ... beanie pillow looks like doesn't help louis also... it's his hands that keep flying.. and make him wake up though the pillow is on his tummy.

why why why... :( why everything ur baby can.. louis cannot.. :( now he can only be bounced and swaddle... to keep myself sane today, i just bounced and swaddle him.. and he's sleeping for an hour oredi.. the bouncer can only hold up to 10kg and swadding cloth will soon be to smal for him.. duno how next time.. :( hubby say settle the problem in front first.. dun think so far.. haiz..

Very fan thing is.. my in laws thot i ddn't want to give him pacifier and keep telling me that when he's older can be wean off one... haiz i also tried pacifier. but either he kept pushing it out... or he happily suck it but once the pacifier is out of his mouth.. he'll start crying... ^.^"" who is so free to keep putting in the pacifier.. and if he get used to it at nite. and i need to sit beside him to hold his pacifer then i think i might as well die 1st...

Last edited:

diymummy

sigh.. i tried not swaddling him today.. and give him the beansprout bolster for him to hug... within an hour.. he wake up soo many times.. :( problem is every 3hrs past super fast every day!!! after feeding louis, settling him to rest/sleep... left only about an hour to his next feed.. then within that hour.. he can wake up soooooo many times... no time to pump milk... no time to wash his bottles (oredi accumlate 3 feeds!!!) ... no time to prepare lunch.. lunch must be prepared in different sections... like this msg.. i've been on it since noon time.. ^.^"' ... sometimes i feel soooooooooo tired. when i read posts like your baby can play and doze off on their own.. i am sooooo envious.. i just wonder what went wrong. cos i dont't know how to "discipline" louis? i feel so lousy at times when l couldn't settle his cries... i know every baby is different.. sometimes i feel like dumping him outside the house... but whenever i see his big round eyes looking at me (when he's not crying) and cooing... i feel so blessed and he can just melt me as instantly as he can make me mad.

Now, another big problem is... my milk supply seems to be dropping drastically!! :( I am thinking since i got no time to pump... i latch him - but he can sometimes take 1 over hour, kept dozing off.. and when i sit him up, he'll cry cos hungry mah... but latch him again.. he zzz again... aiyoh... i'm really going crazy... then in the end... i still have to top him up with formula.. so now the feeding time also go haywired.. eg. if his feeding time is 2pm.. i latch him until 3+... then formula feed him.. he finish his milk say 3.30pm... if 3hrs interval.. i would assume his next feed is about 6pm.. and not 5pm (where i start latching him) - dont know.. see when my "alarm clock" wake up.

then sometimes my parents misses him... wants to bring louis over... but i think to bring him there for whole day is more then fighting a war... gotta bring sooooo many things!!! His 6 sterilized bottles, his rocker, car seat cos my dad come and pick us, diaper bag.. "and go there already.. i also can't let go... so i'll still stay around and "help".. then evening time my hubby come and pick us... bring the soooo many things back again, wash him up to prepare for bed... and he not necessary will sleep... dont know will do untl what time... by the time his last feed... i am totally exhausted, and he dont know why... at nite.. sleep.. can make so much noise... uncomfy.. so 1 nite also gota dont know pick him up to burp how many times... then perhaps 4hrs + later (which after settling him, left me about 2-3hrs), he will wake up for his next feed..

ahhhh... motherhood... it's a love/hate feeling!!!! I'm tired... and it's just only coming to 2nd month... :( and this is 1st time hubby handle a baby - though he trying to take over so i can rest - when louis is fussy and crying.. he'll be lost and stress ... so I gotta take over again... sigh... i'm so exhausted... :'( ..

sorry - this post suddenly became a ranting session... :(
Woofy, sorry, I can't answer in detail this time round.

I think for one thing, you need to let your parents and in-laws know that you are very tired already and if they want to see Louis, ask them to come to your place.

Ask your parents to come over to help you out in the day... When you pump, they can top up formula for Louis. They can help to settle him while you go and do your lunch.

Darling, it's tough to be on your own. I was on my own too. If you need a listening ear, you can PM me. I will try to get back to you asap.