swimming gadget for 2year old

lisa_ng

hi mummies,

can advise what is good to use for a 2 year old to start swimming or playing in the pool?

thinking to bring my girl for a swim.
but har dun noe what kind of float to get for her which is more practical and that she will not be afraid of water.
hardly bring her to pool, except for a few occassion to some play pool.

1) arm float
2) those normal ring float
3) those ring float can sit(i realise those can sit all put up to 11kg only, my girl weigh nearly 15kg. not sure if will over turn.)
4) vest like float (like life jacket type)

thanks in advance. :)

autumn82

hi mummies,

can advise what is good to use for a 2 year old to start swimming or playing in the pool?

thinking to bring my girl for a swim.
but har dun noe what kind of float to get for her which is more practical and that she will not be afraid of water.
hardly bring her to pool, except for a few occassion to some play pool.

1) arm float
2) those normal ring float
3) those ring float can sit(i realise those can sit all put up to 11kg only, my girl weigh nearly 15kg. not sure if will over turn.)
4) vest like float (like life jacket type)

thanks in advance. :)
For DD, I bought her those ring floats that can sit when she was younger like 1yr... Then ard 2yr old onwards, is those normal ring floats.. Arm floats like dun look good enuff for me.. LOL. Vest is too much... for swimming pool... :001_302:

lisa_ng

For DD, I bought her those ring floats that can sit when she was younger like 1yr... Then ard 2yr old onwards, is those normal ring floats.. Arm floats like dun look good enuff for me.. LOL. Vest is too much... for swimming pool... :001_302:
normal ring float she can support herself by leaning her arms?
will she slip into the hole?
kind of worried as don't want her to have any water fright.

autumn82

normal ring float she can support herself by leaning her arms?
will she slip into the hole?
kind of worried as don't want her to have any water fright.
That time got smaller ones.. Have to teach her to put her arms out of the ring and support? Also must be ard la.. LOL. :p

lisa_ng

That time got smaller ones.. Have to teach her to put her arms out of the ring and support? Also must be ard la.. LOL. :p
u noe ar i don't know how to swim de. but tot i cant deprive her from going to swim.
my hubby say he can stay with my daughter in the pool but i worried he will make the worst out of our girl so har i better do everything i can before i put her in my hubby care in the pool.

that's y i very much like the vest type hehe.

autumn82

u noe ar i don't know how to swim de. but tot i cant deprive her from going to swim.
my hubby say he can stay with my daughter in the pool but i worried he will make the worst out of our girl so har i better do everything i can before i put her in my hubby care in the pool.

that's y i very much the vest type hehe.

Orrhz.. If really worried, get those can sit inside ones... The vest beri kuazhang le... LOl. how to swim in tt??

lisa_ng

Orrhz.. If really worried, get those can sit inside ones... The vest beri kuazhang le... LOl. how to swim in tt??
hehe really ar.

hardly swim so i don't know de.
then har like veri kiasu to bring everything there to try.

btw, baby pool is it very deep har?
mayb let her play at baby pool not so dangerous hor.

autumn82

hehe really ar.

hardly swim so i don't know de.
then har like veri kiasu to bring everything there to try.

btw, baby pool is it very deep har?
mayb let her play at baby pool not so dangerous hor.
Baby pool hmm.. is shallow.. but as long as got water, gotta take note.. Baby pool is fine la.. but not much fun for a 2yr old coz too shallow liao.. but let her try la.. since she never tried b4 yet. Then slowly upgrade to deeper ones..

lisa_ng

Baby pool hmm.. is shallow.. but as long as got water, gotta take note.. Baby pool is fine la.. but not much fun for a 2yr old coz too shallow liao.. but let her try la.. since she never tried b4 yet. Then slowly upgrade to deeper ones..
i think so too.
hehe.. thanks for your advise de.
else will be one ku ku to bring the vest to let my girl wear in a public pool. :001_302:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
lisa_ng said:
If you haven't really expose her to a pool that's 1m deep or more, then you should be very careful she doesn't have the wrong experience & end up having a mental phobia of water.

In my case, I started my Seamus at about 6 months old at the pool ... with him in a wetsuit & seated in a SwimSchool float that's shaped like a boat. So, he gets to kick the water but definitely no risk of him dropping into the water ... even when he got occasionally carried away & leaned over to splash water with his hands.
A months later, I also bought a vest float for him ... but it was a disaster, becoz his natural buoyancy wasn't optimised & the vest did not really helped him to float in a very reassuring position.
So, I ended up letting him go into the water without any floats ... & just my hands to support his tummy or his back, depending on whether he's facing the water or the sky ... & once he sense there's a risk of him struggling out of my grasp, I just embrace him in an upright position again.
Now, at 2 weeks short of his 2nd birthday, I use a neck float on him ... & he's doing just fine in the pool, although he's certainly no Ang Peng Siong yet.

As for my Siggi, we started him earlier ... becoz I thought starting Seamus previously at 6 months kinda resulted in him losing his natural instinct in the water. One trial session in HuaXia proved that my assessment was correct.
Since he's only 4.5 months old now & therefore, can't really sit upright on his own ... I only had the neck float as a viable option.

Ok, I guess I blabbed too much ... all I wanted to say is this:

1) do things at your daughter's comfort level

2) if your hubby is the patient type, consider using the "SwimSchool float that's shaped like a boat" ... it's available in Toys'R'Us & I chose this over those cheaper ones sold at KiddiePalace, becoz I was dead sure this one was designed in such a way it will never topple.

3) if your hubby is the impatient type, consider using the neck float ... this will keep her in a "treading water" position, thereby keeping her totally safe & comfortable - not to mention the fact that your hubby could still teach her the fundamentals of kicking those legs & wading those arms.

4) lastly, I'd also recommend you get a wetsuit from her ... which would help add some buoyancy to her body.

Enjoy ... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Attachments

lisa_ng

In my case, I started my Seamus at about 6 months old at the pool ... with him in a wetsuit & seated in a SwimSchool float that's shaped like a boat.

is it yellow in colour? if it is, i think i have one. hehe

A months later, I also bought a vest float for him ... but it was a disaster,

i used a vest float on her once. but har it's seems to have tuck up to her neck. looks uncomfortable.

Now, at 2 weeks short of his 2nd birthday, I use a neck float on him ...

got a neck float oso, but i tot was an lousy brand as it's was cheap and i never try on her. hehe
eh.. was wondering the neck float from huaxia can used up to how many months?

I'd also recommend you get a wetsuit from her ... which would help add some buoyancy to her body.

got a wet suit for her also. hehe

have most of the things lying in the house but har haven't got the energy to bring her to the pool and due to that i can't swim so worried i'm not able to put her in safe hands.

hubby is ok lah but he always tot my daughter veri hardy like boy. so i got kind of worried.
mayb i'm wrong about him since he know how to swim. :001_302:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
lisa_ng said:
is it yellow in colour? if it is, i think i have one. hehe
It's mostly yellow-orange in colour, with bits of turquoise.
:wink: :wink:

lisa_ng said:
i used a vest float on her once. but har it's seems to have tuck up to her neck. looks uncomfortable.
That's exactly what I mean ... when the kid can't even stay comfortable, how to feel safe?
:bmad: :bmad:

lisa_ng said:
got a neck float oso, but i tot was an lousy brand as it's was cheap and i never try on her. hehe
eh.. was wondering the neck float from huaxia can used up to how many months?
As you can see from the pictures I attached, the ones I bought from HuaXia come in different sizes ... the picture on the left is my almost 2-year-old Seamus while the picture on the right is my merely 4.5-month-old Siggi.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

lisa_ng said:
got a wet suit for her also. hehe
have most of the things lying in the house but har haven't got the energy to bring her to the pool and due to that i can't swim so worried i'm not able to put her in safe hands.
Well, I know what you mean ... but we try to make it a point to let them swim at grandpa's when we go visiting every Sunday afternoon.
Have never brought them to a public pool though ... as I'm still not convinced of the hygiene standards being ok for the little ones.
:embarrassed: :embarrassed:

lisa_ng said:
hubby is ok lah but he always tot my daughter veri hardy like boy. so i got kind of worried.
mayb i'm wrong about him since he know how to swim.
Are you convinced that your hubby loves your daughter?
If yes, then what's there to worry ... he'll know what he is doing lah.
If you wanna be involved, just have to do this in a pool where the water is no deeper than 1.3m ... that way, you can still comfortably stand in the pool & play with your daughter (in her neck float, of course).
If anything, I remember many beauty queens claiming that they grew up as tomboys ...
:laugh: :laugh:

lisa_ng

It's mostly yellow-orange in colour, with bits of turquoise.

i think not the same then.

As you can see from the pictures I attached, the ones I bought from HuaXia come in different sizes ... the picture on the left is my almost 2-year-old Seamus while the picture on the right is my merely 4.5-month-old Siggi.

i think have to visit them one of these days.
i remember there's one at plaza sin mayb is hua xia hehe
can drop by them when i go for haircut.

Well, I know what you mean ... but we try to make it a point to let them swim at grandpa's when we go visiting every Sunday afternoon.
Have never brought them to a public pool though ... as I'm still not convinced of the hygiene standards being ok for the little ones.

u noe ar. this was very much my concern. part of the reason y i didn't bring my daughter to swim so often. especially those ard hdb areas. now that she's older i tot it should be fine.
my hubby was saying to go chervons where it's much cleaner and have warm water to bathe.

Are you convinced that your hubby loves your daughter?
If yes, then what's there to worry ... he'll know what he is doing lah.
If you wanna be involved, just have to do this in a pool where the water is no deeper than 1.3m ... that way, you can still comfortably stand in the pool & play with your daughter (in her neck float, of course).
If anything, I remember many beauty queens claiming that they grew up as tomboys ...

that's a funny question. but i believe he does.
eh.. i'm oni 1.55m fyi, 1.3m should have covered my nose until can't breathe le. :001_302:

Last edited:

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Got the bikini + wetsuit for my gal when she was 2yrs.... wear a few times then outgrow... cos' she didn't njoy the water then... waste $$...

Now @ 3yrs, she wears bikini... swim float + arm band... from Kiddy Palace... she loves to play in the baby pool... run here n there... sometimes wants to take out the float.... then sink n drink some water... ok bah... just be alert n pick her up... pat pat... she continues playing.

Goes to the TPY Safra pool... small n no crowd... n can go home shower immediately.

Wants to enrol in swim class... but recommended start @ 5 yrs... no point starting earlier, cos' young kids will fall sick more... then always miss swim classes. Unless u want to train the kid to be competitive swimmers.

BudgetMum

the best & safest swimming gear to enjoy waters -- be it shallow or deep -- its the parents' accompany

both my DD (8yrs) & DS (2yrs) enjoyed swimming becos i make sure that i am with them when they started to go to the pool as young as 6 mths

for the 1st few visits for both my kids, i make sure their feet do not touch the pools' floor. ie i 'swim' them around & let them enjoy what is water

when my arms get tired, i then visit the shallow part of the pool (depending ur todd's age) eg the steps and get them to sit and play till their hair & face gets wet

once they know how to walk, i'll walk them around the shallow pool (after the "swimming") and allow them to play waves and splashing

so far it works for both my kids and my nephew (who hates to shower when he's an infant)

lisa_ng

Got the bikini + wetsuit for my gal when she was 2yrs.... wear a few times then outgrow... cos' she didn't njoy the water then... waste $$...

Now @ 3yrs, she wears bikini... swim float + arm band... from Kiddy Palace... she loves to play in the baby pool... run here n there... sometimes wants to take out the float.... then sink n drink some water... ok bah... just be alert n pick her up... pat pat... she continues playing.

Goes to the TPY Safra pool... small n no crowd... n can go home shower immediately.

Wants to enrol in swim class... but recommended start @ 5 yrs... no point starting earlier, cos' young kids will fall sick more... then always miss swim classes. Unless u want to train the kid to be competitive swimmers.
i agree de.
got a few swimsuit for my girl but she only wore once for all then outgrown le. wasted money.
seems like i worry too much to bring my girl just for a swim.

hey tot of sending her to sports school better since so near oso. :tlaugh:

Daddy D

Alpha Male
i agree de.
got a few swimsuit for my girl but she only wore once for all then outgrown le. wasted money.
seems like i worry too much to bring my girl just for a swim.

hey tot of sending her to sports school better since so near oso. :tlaugh:
huh? U mean the Sports School @ that ulu part of SG? :p
Got teach little kids one meh?

lisa_ng

huh? U mean the Sports School @ that ulu part of SG? :p
Got teach little kids one meh?
what ulu???
woodlands seems ulu for a lot de.
i realise a lot of active members here reside in the east de.

no lah sport school don't take in young children. i suppose.

lisa_ng

the best & safest swimming gear to enjoy waters -- be it shallow or deep -- its the parents' accompany

both my DD (8yrs) & DS (2yrs) enjoyed swimming becos i make sure that i am with them when they started to go to the pool as young as 6 mths

for the 1st few visits for both my kids, i make sure their feet do not touch the pools' floor. ie i 'swim' them around & let them enjoy what is water

when my arms get tired, i then visit the shallow part of the pool (depending ur todd's age) eg the steps and get them to sit and play till their hair & face gets wet

once they know how to walk, i'll walk them around the shallow pool (after the "swimming") and allow them to play waves and splashing

so far it works for both my kids and my nephew (who hates to shower when he's an infant)
she loves to play in the water. brought her once to wild wild wet play pool. she keep crawling inside despite so many obstacles.

my girl is oso one who hate shower. even till now she will scream and jump whenever we rinse her hair.

lisa_ng

brought my girl for a swim in the afternoon.

glad that we went to chervons.
have like home shower type and warm water to bathe. hehe
else she could have scream since she dislike water running through her face.

true enough, arm float and a usual ring float is more than enough.

ai yo, she lazy to use her legs to swim.
she rather walk around in the baby pool area.:tlaugh: