Talcum Powder

winnie.lyy

hi mummies out there,

anyone of you put on talcum powder onto baby and yourself? currently i receive an email regarding the talc powder causes ovarian cancer especially those women who uses talc powder on genital area. it says that the tiny particles in the talc powder can travel through the genital area to the ovaries & cause inflammation & may cause cancer cells to flourish! OMG!! it is dangerous to us & our baby especially baby girl rite?! any talc free powder you all know best, safe and nice to use on baby?

ochklk

Hi Winnie, last sat, bring my boy boy take 6 in 1 jab, my bb doctor need to check his overall health and then also his private part, saw the powder that I apply after bath, he say dun apply next time, alot of dust, no good for his breathing so we nv apply liao.

For bb gal I think better dun put, myself I also dun put.

winnie.lyy

hi, yeah..you are rite, a lot of dust and no good for breathing. Thought it will make bb feel comfortable after bath (because powder absorb moisture, body less sticky), that's why thinking of find other alternative!

I totally agree of not using powder on baby girl !

CDL

An alternative would be to use a talc-free powder (usually corn starch replaces the talc). I personally don;t like it and don't use any powder for my baby. You can also use a diaper cream like desitin or drapolene which will also make baby feel more comfortable

snowbear

I also din use powder for baby coz during antenatal class the nurse advised against it. Said it's bad for baby's breathing...

HappyMommy

winnie, better dont use talc powder. if u really need to use, then better get the corn starch one. i bought gaia powder which is made of corn starch. but even then, my PD oso say dont use. the fine particles r not good for baby's breathing.

autumn82

I actually bought those liquid form from Mothercare. It's cream like when pressed out from the tube but when applied to the body, it turns powdery.. Not bad so far. :)

winnie.lyy

Dear autumn82, that's really good! What brand is it? Tend to do a bit of survey on it this weekend. Thanks for your info.:Dancing_wub:

ppong001

huh? my mother in law always put a lot of powder for my baby lei... will there be anyproblem? she also uses the anti rash powder to put all over ther diapers... should i ask her to stop>?

hi ppong, it's not good for the baby if baby constantly breathes in powder particles. i would say yes, do ask your MIL to stop.

iwan2noe

dear all,

It is good to learn that acutally powder is bad for baby and also us adults!
I am a regular baby powder user!

There is another alternative.
U may consider to use Kodomo baby lotion powder. It is like powder but it is lotion form..

It is $4.50 for their current std size of 200ml. I personally have not tried but tempted to go and buy to try ! hehe =)

39360_b.jpg

Last edited:

CJmom

To think that throughout all the generations, we grew up with talcum powder.

iwan2noe-mummy, FP seems to be having kodomo promo is it? My ger frend was telling me about it last week though so don't know if the promo is still on. I quite like Kodomo as it smells nice. Think I will try the lotion powder too. Thanks!

iwan2noe

To think that throughout all the generations, we grew up with talcum powder.

iwan2noe-mummy, FP seems to be having kodomo promo is it? My ger frend was telling me about it last week though so dont't know if the promo is still on. I quite like Kodomo as it smells nice. Think I will try the lotion powder too. Thanks!
HI CJmon and all mummies to be,

There is a promo at GIANT. They are selling the kodomo lotion powder at $3.90 as compared to the usual price of $4.50!

Quick go grab it if you want!!

joeyz

Hi Winnie, last sat, bring my boy boy take 6 in 1 jab, my baby doctor need to check his overall health and then also his private part, saw the powder that I apply after bath, he say dont apply next time, alot of dust, no good for his breathing so we never apply .

For baby gal I think better dont put, myself I also dont put.
dear mummies,

does it apply to johnson baby powder ? cos i apply it on dear son butt before putting cloth diaper on. usually i use diaper rash cream but dear son often pee when i am changing him and rash cream takes more time for me to apply unlike baby powder but if it's harmful, i shall not use it anymore.

iwan2noe

dear mummies,

does it apply to johnson baby powder ? cos i apply it on dear son butt before putting cloth diaper on. usually i use diaper rash cream but dear son often pee when i am changing him and rash cream takes more time for me to apply unlike baby powder but if it's harmful, i shall not use it anymore.
Maybe not very harmful but try to avoid using baby powder with talc.
Read from some other forum, that we can opt for baby powder with cornstarch.

I prefer to use lotion powder.

Beside Kodomo, there are other brands of lotion powder like
Avent Liquid Talc. It is said to be very good, moist and turn to light powder after applying... Not sure of the cost though... I just tried kodomo lotion powder ytd..it is great. It is like a lotion when you apply and once it is absorbed you can feel that your skin becomes smooth as like when you apply powder but dont notice the powder on your skin... like when you apply lotion and get absorbed, now you can feel like you applied powder with visible signs..

Just my review. not on my part to promote komodo lotion powder.. hehe

i also vain , wanna try avent liquid talc if i can find it :)

winnie.lyy

Dear mummies... many thanks on your feedback. i tried out liquid powder, really not bad especially after dry up and it adsorbs very fast into baby skin leaving it soft and smooth! :302: