Teaching your child Phonics

newbie35

Hi!
Any mums or dads who have taught phonics or taught your child to read?!
I would like to know which phonics programme you used.
A few that I have researched and are available on the market :

1. Hooked on phonics - has sets form pre-K to grade levels -available at kiddy palace and amazon.com

2. Jolly phonics - all items sold separately ( CD's, workbooks etc)- sold in online bookshops.

3. Letterland - also lots of items sold separately at most bookshops.

4. Zoophonics -there are preschools that use this but the teaching materials are sold in US. Have to ship over.

5. Usborne -Has phonics books and workbooks but not a formal learning programme.

6. Oxford learning tree - similar to Usborne with phonics books and activity books but no formal teaching programme

I know there are schools that run reading and phonics enrichment programmes -eg montessori phonics, zoo phonics, I can read etc but I wish to teach my child as I believe that as a parent I can assess and modify my teaching to suit my child's learning curve.

I want my kid to love and enjoy reading. Phonics is only part of reading. I am aware sight words are just as important. And most important is that the child has to enjoy the process and being involved in your child's learning means you get to spend quality time with your child and truly be his first teacher (which all parents are anyway).
Please provide your honest opinion.

motheroftwo

I’ve had the same dilemma about which phonics programme to use for quite some time and I too believe in being proactive in my child’s learning. I’ve tried Letterland and Jolly Phonics and although they are good, I realised that all these are just different formats. Sometimes my 4 year old kid lacks focus. Somedays, she’s willing to sing songs, other days she just doesn’t feel like listening to what I have to teach her.

Eventually I engaged a tutor. Her lessons are tweaked to suit my child’s needs. She comes prepared with so many different activities to suit visual, kinaesthetic and auditory learners that my child doesn’t get bored at all. And what’s great is that after every lesson, I know exactly what was thought and reinforce it with additional pointers given by the tutor or from what I get when I google stuff. And when I reinforce the things that were taught, my child will recall almost everything including the actions, songs, poems, etc. And that is so much easier for me to get her to focus on the task at hand.

If you’re looking for the best advice on which programme to use, I can pass you her contact details. She’s very helpful and will give you her honest opinion on the programmes available as she has been in the industry for quite awhile.

velvetberry

hi,
my child is only 2 years old and she is already reading.. sight words and non sight words. I'm a firm believer of flash cards, and thus i sourced out flash cards for her. there is this one at the website - http://aflashofbrillance.blog.com... the flashcards on this site (unexciting looking it may be) are very good.. clear and very usable. They have a unique phonic program and together with it, they sell other flash cards the link pictures with words.

i used both, to link pictures with words and also the phonics one. my girl is reading very well at 2.. if you have any queries, can call email pm me.. i like this method alot.. very poweful, fun yet take up short time

onederfull

At the moment my boy went for Saturday Montessori Phonics Class and I felt relieved after that. My aim is so he can read and now he is singing away. I like the small group 2:4 my boy learn alot. Try calling them and check if there's space 64822218.

lina1120

I’ve had the same dilemma about which phonics programme to use for quite some time and I too believe in being proactive in my child’s learning. I’ve tried Letterland and Jolly Phonics and although they are good, I realised that all these are just different formats. Sometimes my 4 year old kid lacks focus. Somedays, she’s willing to sing songs, other days she just doesn’t feel like listening to what I have to teach her.

Eventually I engaged a tutor. Her lessons are tweaked to suit my child’s needs. She comes prepared with so many different activities to suit visual, kinaesthetic and auditory learners that my child doesn’t get bored at all. And what’s great is that after every lesson, I know exactly what was thought and reinforce it with additional pointers given by the tutor or from what I get when I google stuff. And when I reinforce the things that were taught, my child will recall almost everything including the actions, songs, poems, etc. And that is so much easier for me to get her to focus on the task at hand.

If you’re looking for the best advice on which programme to use, I can pass you her contact details. She’s very helpful and will give you her honest opinion on the programmes available as she has been in the industry for quite awhile.
Hi,

Appreciate if you could help to PM me the contact of the tutor? My son is currently struggling in reading. My email is babyeye0407@hotmail.com

Thanks.