Teaching your child to read

jedamum

I am impressed that your girl can read such books! My boy although can read, is lazy to do so. Sometimes, he can read, but fails to understand the content.
May I know where did you purchase the Leapfrog DVD?
TIA.

tamarind

Yes I read to my babies when they were 3 years old. They did not understand at that age, but I want to let them cultivate a love of books.

The first book in my blog, "Thunder in the Jungle", was bought when my baby was 3 months old. You need books like these, big and colourful pictures, best with push/pull tabs to change the pictures, to capture the interest of the babies. Although there is a theory that babies can only see black and white until 6 months old, I think there is no harm reading colourful books to them at that age. You can buy from any bookshop like popular, kinokuniya, page one, etc.

I do not use flashcards with my kids. But there is no harm using both flash cards and reading books. But personally I feel that reading books is much better than flash cards alone.

xue

Yes I read to my babies when they were 3 years old. They did not understand at that age, but I want to let them cultivate a love of books.

The first book in my blog, "Thunder in the Jungle", was bought when my baby was 3 months old. You need books like these, big and colourful pictures, best with push/pull tabs to change the pictures, to capture the interest of the babies. Although there is a theory that babies can only see black and white until 6 months old, I think there is no harm reading colourful books to them at that age. You can buy from any bookshop like popular, kinokuniya, page one, etc.

I do not use flashcards with my kids. But there is no harm using both flash cards and reading books. But personally I feel that reading books is much better than flash cards alone.
ic...kk thx..mayb i buy 1 book n try first..

leey

Great tips,thankful!
will try it for my second kid in the feature,
maybe 2 years later but not now!:we2Randy-git::wong19:

tamarind

Hi mommies who want to teach their kids phonics at home,

Please refer to my blog. I have just updated it, scroll down to the portion updated 8 May 2008.

http://tamarindvillage.blogspot.com/2008/02/reading.html

I would like to share a method which is very effective on my boy. He is the kind who cannot sit still to learn, always very itchy hand. But now he knows how to read most of the 3 letter words. Check out my method.The first part is about my girl learning phonics at the Montessori enrichment class, the second part is about me teaching my boy.

Note that I am not using Letterland or other phonics methods. I am following my girl's Montessori phonics materials, inventing my own methods to make it easier for my boy to learn.

Last edited:

anburavi

hi ladies,
I m so impressed to see everyone wanting to know how to read. let me share how i got my gals to read too!
i started them with the ladybird series on peter n jane n its a set of 24 books n r progressive.
once my gals knew their alphabet i will start on 1a n once they know progress on to 1b n 2a n so on.
My 4 year old is already reading 7a which is for P1! n my eldest gal finished reading 12b when she was in k2. my youngest 2.5years old is now reading 1a.
on top of these books i also bought a home library for them. those who want to know more about the home library pls pm to me at anburavi@hotmail.com
Thanks

malar:Dancing_tongue:

yeoh_tt

Dear Tamarind,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and your blog. They are impressive!! And especially helpful for clueless moms like me.

I believe by the time your children started learning phonics, they have already know their alphabets. Can you share on how you taught them alphabets?

I have a 2.5 y/o son who has short attention span. I tried flash cards and posters and DVDs on ABCs but he is slow to learn them ( I think because of the lack of interest/ attention).

Thanks again.

Applegp

Hi Tamarind,

Thanks for your sharing at blog. Its really very impressive that you can do so much things with kids, and the dedications that you have put into your kids!

Your blogs have many good learning points. You are wonderful mommy! Thumbs up for you!:red:

How do I purchase books from amazon? care to share?

estherlin

hey ppl keep this thread alive!!! very interesting. I am learning more on phonics too, trying to read and understand where and how to get material, if i can DIY the material, and self teaching at home. Or if not which sch is providing good classes.

So much to learn!!!!

boringtazz

Currently teaching my 3 years old to read, but he lost interest half way through. I only managed to teach him all the alphabet sound, when it comes to blending the words, he lost interest. Have been searching through the net for interesting activities I can do with him that incorporate phonics and stumble upon this website, check it out, they have free downloads and online games on phonics.
Literactive - Teaching Children to Read

Anj T

Hi everyone,

Ive just joined MummySg and was browsing thru when i found this topic. I would like to share my experiece about teaching your young ones! No, im not a teacher but did alot of research whilst i was pregnant.

I have a 2.8 year old boy. During my research i read about Glen Doman and Flash Card Program - Teaching your baby how to read! I bought the whole programme - big white cards with big red words written on them. I started my son on this program when he was 6 month old and at nine months he read his first word and hasnt stopped since! Many of my family and friends didnt believe he could read. Few of my friends even got out the daily newspapers to test him and he read the headlines in a breath. (cos they thot kids memorize thier story books). He even has picked up the phonics whilst we were in this program. Its so easy to use, flash 5 cards, 3x a day everyday! Replace one new world everyday!

I cannot tell you how much i believe in this program! Wherever we lived, from KL to London, people were amazed how he was reading off the street names on the digital screen in the buses in London, and how proud his teachers were of him in school in KL!

He also speaks very well that even doctors here are amazed that he is not even 3!

I highly recommend it!

Anj T

And he loves to read of course! He reads everything from the billboards to the atm receipt that he digs from my bag!

He tries even tho its a difficult word - he gets at least 80% right!