Teen Mom

mrsmahadi

So here I am, sitting at home enjoying my cup of oatmeal with my princess asleep on my lap watching the telly. When I see the words 'Teen Mom' sprawled across my TV screen, I don't know if you have come across this reality show on MTV but boy it is interesting.

Teen Mom is the sequel to 16 & pregnant an it obviously portrays the lives of teen moms from so many angles. Those who choose to raise the baby on their own, those who choose to give the baby up for adoption and of course the 'lucky' few whose partner do stay with them to help raise their child. Yes I say 'lucky' because just because their partner stayed, it did not mean their job is easier, in fact it is as though they have to raise the guy and the baby, that is how immature their men were.

I guess, watching the show gave me an epiphany (several epiphanies really). Being pregnant and going to be a mom is already difficult and challenging. Being a mom or pregnant at at such a tender age must be worse, especially if they do not have any form of support from family or friends. It all boils down to an invidual's strength. As I watch how these ladies cope with their struggles (some i don't agree with) I realise that you can only definitely rely on yourself because sometimes, the helplines you thought you had depletes so slowly, and you have to have the strength and courage to look for help but of course look for help from reliable sources.

I am saying this because I guess at a tender age, being naive and gullible is unavoidable, because being young we want to believe that everyone is goog and has good intentions. Howevr decision-making should be made after extensive thought and analyse. Never assume that everything will go as planned, always have a back-up plan and ensure that you are not being made a fool. I am saying this as one of the teen mom was trapped in a cheque fraud and ended up overdrawing her account by USD3000 cause she did not do her research or make any necessary calls to ensure she did not fall victim. I guess its quite inevitable to be made prey if you do not take precautionary measures.

And so I would like to ask how is it like really for a teenager to be a mom or mom-to-be in local context? Are there enough support goups for these teenagers?

So here I am, sitting at home enjoying my cup of oatmeal with my princess asleep on my lap watching the telly. When I see the words 'Teen Mom' sprawled across my TV screen, I don't know if you have come across this reality show on MTV but boy it is interesting.

Teen Mom is the sequel to 16 & pregnant an it obviously portrays the lives of teen moms from so many angles. Those who choose to raise the baby on their own, those who choose to give the baby up for adoption and of course the 'lucky' few whose partner do stay with them to help raise their child. Yes I say 'lucky' because just because their partner stayed, it did not mean their job is easier, in fact it is as though they have to raise the guy and the baby, that is how immature their men were.

I guess, watching the show gave me an epiphany (several epiphanies really). Being pregnant and going to be a mom is already difficult and challenging. Being a mom or pregnant at at such a tender age must be worse, especially if they do not have any form of support from family or friends. It all boils down to an invidual's strength. As I watch how these ladies cope with their struggles (some i don't agree with) I realise that you can only definitely rely on yourself because sometimes, the helplines you thought you had depletes so slowly, and you have to have the strength and courage to look for help but of course look for help from reliable sources.

I am saying this because I guess at a tender age, being naive and gullible is unavoidable, because being young we want to believe that everyone is goog and has good intentions. Howevr decision-making should be made after extensive thought and analyse. Never assume that everything will go as planned, always have a back-up plan and ensure that you are not being made a fool. I am saying this as one of the teen mom was trapped in a cheque fraud and ended up overdrawing her account by USD3000 cause she did not do her research or make any necessary calls to ensure she did not fall victim. I guess its quite inevitable to be made prey if you do not take precautionary measures.

And so I would like to ask how is it like really for a teenager to be a mom or mom-to-be in local context? Are there enough support goups for these teenagers?
I agree with you on the part on teen mum going thur all alone with no help. I was a teenage when i was in labour ward few yrs back when i going to give birth to my gal, im all alone since the day i found out i was preggy till the day i give birth. I only have my husband any my gynae to tell the pain and discomfort im gg thur. I all alone, i find it very surprising that i can make it this far with my gal now.My father in law even told everyone in the family not to help if im in labour just let me find my own ways to go hospital myself. How sad i feel? My husband go work in the morning left me all alone in the room. I will lock myself in the room until my husband come back. sometime when i look back im really surprise how i make it this far.

After given birth, i have no confinement, i have no one to cook proper meal for me all i have is diffrent flavour of maggie for my 3 meal. I dont know who to ask help when my baby cry non stop. My husband push all the blame on me if anything happen to my gal. But what i know? I cant even take care of myself. but i still stay strong till now.

I dont know when will be my braking line. Maybe after give birth i might just gone crazy or maybe i wont even have a breaking line. But if any teen mum reading this and they think they need help can Just let me know coz i dont wan to see another me. Take care to all and god pls be kind and bless those in needs.

mrsmahadi

Wow, that is tough. It is sad to see teen moms not having any form of support. I must salute you for having the courage to endure all that you have been through. I think it is great that you share your experience, as these may be the very problems teen moms in local context feel. Especially to care for yourself after labour. Not only do you have to care for yourself, you also have to care for your baby and that has to be tough especially without family support.

Then again, these problems may be faced by those who are not teen moms, but regular moms who does not have family support. I guess, the difference is the lack in experience and maturity in a teen mom as compared to regular moms.

I wonder if there is anything we can do to help these moms..be it a teen mom or otherwise.

Ting

if im not wrong, most of these "reality" shows are not real and r usu pre planned. also, i do not believe that maturity comes with age, regular mums, teen mums, all started out as first time mothers, its it their mentality n exposure to society that counts.

mrsmahadi

if im not wrong, most of these "reality" shows are not real and r usu pre planned. also, i do not believe that maturity comes with age, regular mums, teen mums, all started out as first time mothers, its it their mentality n exposure to society that counts.[/QUOTE

I guess, that can be said about reality shows:err:, but I believe, acting or not the issues presented does highlight the problems a teen mom might be facing. I have to agree with what you said about maturity,although maturity does not necessrily comes with age (believe me I know..from experience, I have met several ppl who are older than me but sadly behave like children) we still cannot deny the fact that teen moms might be facing problems that most regular moms might not be facing. I especially agree with what you said about exposure to society, hence the problem arise again as sadly, we all know how society deals and feels towards teen moms. They are made as an example of the result of having unprotected sex at a young age. But that should not be the focus, instead society should see them as mothers to be (first time or not) who needs plenty of support.

I guess, what I am saying is that how does these teen moms cope with their problems, and is there anything that can be done (as an outsider/stranger) to help these teen moms. Teen or not, they are still moms and the responsibilty of a mother can be very texting..

Ting

hmmm but i guess not all teen mums go thru all the nonsense, im a young mother myself, but i dont face any problems at all. im just the same as any regular mother. :) what kinda problems are u refering to?

Depleted

im a teen , currently 4 mths preggy . lost all friends , everyone even those i thought i could count on . they even wanted to hit me because i didnt want to drink chicken essence . got chased out from home , was homeless for 1 mths plus , resided at underblocks . and move from place to place after tt . baby's dad finally got around , but due to no status and sometimes his insensitivity , made me feel im a burden to him and his family . i feel so insecure . and he's seldom home so i always lock myself in room find myself emotional and keep crying . can't work and dont feel comfortable with taking money from them to buy bigger clothes and all .sometimes very afraid will get chased out from here and have nowhere to go ..
it's difficult . but at least , i made a mistake and im not taking the easy way out . i'll learn step by step , and i love the litte one in me :)