Teething and diaper rash

meiteoh

Eva has never had any diaper rash at all but these past few days, when her two teeth started cutting through, her bum is suddenly red and has tiny bumps on them - ARGH, diaper rash! I'm putting some barrier cream and using a nappy liner coz I'm using cloth diapers but anyone had the same problem?

I'm wondering if it's because of the teething coz I read that teething changes their saliva (which has an impact on solid food) and subsequently, their pee and poo pH changes as well. :/ Or is it an allergy? (I just fed her two new foods - asparagus (last week before the flare-up) and cranberries today.) Hm.

Ting

hmmm i dun think teething will cause diaper rash cos i dun rmb pin hving such a prob..

meiteoh

Urm, she had the diaper rash before I intro-ed the cranberries. I have been giving her a little bit more wheat puffs plus wheat based teethers but she has taken them before in the past and had no reactions.

No new detergent. The only change to the routine was me soaking the inserts in hot water, rinsing more often, and doing an extra rinse after washing. Liners are the same. Hm...it could be the new wipes I bought but then again, I have been using them for nearly two weeks and the rash just started like four days ago. :/

She did have very very loose stool when she started teething though, which I read is common and can lead to mild diaper rash...

camom

Yes, teething can lead to diaper rash. It could also be bcos bb got an extra load of bacteria since teething bbs tend to gum anything in sight. This can lead to looser stools than normal which can cause irritation to their little bums since the ph is changed.

jasobias

hmmm..my baby is teething too now but she doesnt have tht diaper rash..neither did my sons.N thank god she is not fussy.The boys also took to teething really well.Cld be the hot weather causing it.If my ass was wrapped up in napkins n diapers whole day..gurantee i wld get diaper rash also..hahahhaha

Phoebii Cheng

I think my son recently is teething too, cos' he is putting things into his mouth and he likes to bite things or toys even at night he would bite his blanket and he likes it when I brush his teeth (which is very unusual cos' he don't like brushing teeth)

And yup I oso notice that my son is poohing more than usual and has white dots and this time round he has a diaper rash too....

Now that I read what meiteoh wrote, could be linked teething and diaper rash

meiteoh

I went kiasu and switched diaper rash creams plus baby wipes. It's better now. But don't know if coincidence or what but her loose stool also decreased! Hai!

Jerlene

Suddenly my dotter starts to have rashes at the diaper area. Not sure how come. It is quite a big patch. the skin becomes rough. and the rashes quite red at first. After applying cream on the area, it slightly better. But the skin is still rough and can see the spot there.. Anyone experience this and how u manage to clear it.. Anyone went to see doc over this??? shld i consult the doctor????

Mummy to Baby V

Try skipping baby wipes by using cloth wipes / cotton wool plus plain water, as the chemicals in baby wipes do cause a reaction in some sensitive skin. My boy is one typical example. If I need to use disposable wipe, I rinse it with plain water then wipe him.

Many baby wipes contain parabens (as preservatives), and artificial fragrances, so do note the labels. :)

jasobias

to avoid diaper rash,babys bottom must also be aired.When i am dressing her up after her baths i put on the diaper last.N if i know she has just peed i just leave her bare bottomed a while.So far no diaper rash.If she poos i wld wash her bum with warm water n soap n then air for a while.