The do-nots in first trimester

Sad 33

Just to share with pregnant ladies in first trimester on the NOT-TO-EAT and NOT-TO-DO:

NOT-TO-EAT:
1) Barley & Barley drink
2) Winter Melon
3) Water melon, Pineapple, papaya
4) Dong Kwei
5) Herbs that are 'hou xue'.
6) NO cold drinks in any form.
7) orange (min all the way)- will cause phlegm to lit one

NOT-TO-DO:
1) Please do not squat and wash clothes!!!
2) No heavy lifting
3) No compression to stomach esp womb

Last edited:

Sad 33

I understand that spicy food should be avoided. Pls skip it if possible for the growing of yr little one

kinkybaby

Dun eat those Del Monte bananas, they r known to be v v cooling.

Dun take any herbal stuff or anytg extra

For those pantang ones, other than not telling pple, dun do things like buy bb stuff etc, treat evtg as per normal

silverautumn

oh also i read about Not to use Retin-A products during pregnancy as they may cause birth defects. Oral is the one that can be fatal but to be safe, keep of Retin-A topical treatments too as well as Tretinoin.

Dragontail

I believe moderation is most important.

I drink barley, watermelon juice, eat durian, drink tom yam, eat crab, etc. But I avoid anything cold. So my juices/yogurt must be room temperature. And I only consume those occasionally. I still try to balance my diet everyday.

Sad 33

Hi ladies,
Good to hear that u do not need to avoid anything. Sadly, I lost my baby at 8 wk and one of the things to point to this miscarriage is my intake of barley water and squatting to do housework, which I found out causally after are NO NO. It really causes me so much sadness and I sincerely just hope that my little advice can help those who in need only.
Take good care...

piggie

Agree with xiaodaisy. I ate pretty much everything, including cold drinks, fruits and so forth
Oh yes, i ate abt almost everything too (cold drinks la, spicy food la, even "cooling" fruits like watermelon).. The ONLY food i did not eat was pineapple, coz my gynae himself told me nt to eat... Lol. As for my daily cup of tea, I still hv them everyday. Juz tt i cut dwn to max 2 cup a day.

My dotter came out perfectly healthy...no jundice no nothing... So, eat in moderation shud be fine.. Cheers :)

felicity

I believe in eating in moderation.. In fact I drank cold drinks n ate spicy food all the time (hopefully the 'coldness' and 'hotness' neutralizes? :p)

In fact I wasn't aware in the first 8 weeks n was out clubbing n drinking a number of times... So shocked to find out I'm pregnant! Still go clubbing a bit but totally stopped drinking already since...

pixie

We are same - found out that I was pregnant and confirmed by gynae when it was already 8 weeks. So did lots of things (e.g. eat what 'do-not' and do what 'should-not') and everything turns out well.

I am a strong believer that if you want to be 'pantang' then anything that coincide with the bad happening, you will blame it on 'I-should-not-do-this or I-should-not-done-this' etc. Best is dont believe too much in those old-wives' tales, when you dont't know and 'step' onto these taboos, you will not panic or be worried.

I ate del monte bananas, coffee (cut down the intake tho) and ice-cream, curries, drink a glass of scotch(+ lemonade) nightly...

My baby is fine, no jaudice and no major problems.
Some of you might wonder'you are young so you dont't care'. Nope, I am actually past my mid-thirties when I conceived my baby and I am also a first-time mom.

dont't stress yourself over this stuff and have a happy pregnancy.

I believe in eating in moderation.. In fact I drank cold drinks n ate spicy food all the time (hopefully the 'coldness' and 'hotness' neutralizes? :p)

In fact I wasn't aware in the first 8 weeks n was out clubbing n drinking a number of times... So shocked to find out I'm pregnant! Still go clubbing a bit but totally stopped drinking already since...

Last edited:

Dragontail

I believe I conceived when I was at an oveaseas trip. One week after I got back to SG, I found out I was 4 weeks preggie.
Ignorance sometimes is a blessing. I walked a lot during the trip, climbed up and down and carried heavy stuff (mainly shopping bags :p), ate all icy drinks and desserts and spicy food. I smoked even more during the trip. Of course, I stopped smoking once I was tested positive.

I believe there are still "logical" things that pregnant women shouldn't do. Some pungtung old tales do make sense; while some others are just ridiculous. To each of her own.

Sad 33

hi ladies,
I need some advice on this fllwing urgently...thks!

today is my 14th days after D&C, but because hubby tried to hug but ended up compressing me when i lay on bed 2 days ago, i start to bleed lightly yesterday, and a lot more today.
do u have any experience with bleeding so many days after D&C? shld i have any cause of concern?

min81

hi ladies,
I need some advice on this fllwing urgently...thks!

today is my 14th days after D&C, but because hubby tried to hug but ended up compressing me when i lay on bed 2 days ago, i start to bleed lightly yesterday, and a lot more today.
do you have any experience with bleeding so many days after D&C? shld i have any cause of concern?
Hi Sad33,

I don't think the bleeding has anything to do with your hubby hugging you.. After my d&c, i bled and spotted all the way till my first menses came 5 wks later.. I went back to my gynae twice to check but everything was ok.. Maybe if you're uncomfortable about it, why don't you go and see your gynae just to make sure?

Don't worry k, hope you'll be ok soon!

Sad 33

Hi min81,
bleeding for d&c by right shld get lighter and last only ard 1 wk?
My spotting nvr really clear when I was til 12 days. But cos of hubby, these 2 days bleeding is similar to what I experience the first day after d&c...fresh blood discharge. I'm monitoring my condition as my KKH gynae can only see me by appt. if any urgent case I need to visit their 24hrs emergency. KKH's system is very different. Abit worried...

min81

Hi min81,
bleeding for d&c by right shld get lighter and last only around 1 wk?
My spotting never really clear when I was til 12 days. But cos of hubby, these 2 days bleeding is similar to what I experience the first day after d&c...fresh blood discharge. I'm monitoring my condition as my Kandang Kerbau Hospital gynae can only see me by appt. if any urgent case I need to visit their 24hrs emergency. Kandang Kerbau Hospital's system is very different. Abit worried...
Hi sad33,

Ya by right supposed to fade off and stop by abt 2 wks.. But sometimes some pple are different.. Best is to get it checked.. Have you had any follow up with your gynae since d&c? I think you shld just go ahead and make an appt.. Tell them it's urgent and try to give you earlier slot.. In the meantime, i suggest you might wanna stop taking herbal stuff as some of them promote bleeding..

Sad 33

Hi min81,
2 wks after d&c and I have not seen any doctor or gynae. Is this arrangement normal? The appt was scheduled 5 wks after d&c... Maybe I shld not wait?
Any idea what herbal stuff cos bleeding? Im taking a lot of food and tonic daily and they include dom, HuiJi wasit tonic, herbal soups from confinement ttingkat...
ive been trying to improve my health as I feel sad that maybe my bad woman health does not allow me to carry on the pregnancy..,

min81

Hi min81,
2 wks after d&c and I have not seen any doctor or gynae. Is this arrangement normal? The appt was scheduled 5 wks after d&c... Maybe I shld not wait?
Any idea what herbal stuff cos bleeding? Im taking a lot of food and tonic daily and they include dom, HuiJi wasit tonic, herbal soups from confinement ttingkat...
ive been trying to improve my health as I feel sad that maybe my bad woman health does not allow me to carry on the pregnancy..,
Sad33,

My gynae scheduled for me to see him a wk after d&c to check that the uterus is clear, after which an appt was made for 5 wks later.. Since u've not had a check since d&c, maybe u wanna go check if u think ur bleeding and spotting is persistent, just for peace of mind.. I'm not sure which herbs promote bleeding but my mum gave me chicken essence with cordyceps daily after my d&c and i wondered if that could have contributed to it..

I know it's not easy, but try not to think too much.. Sometimes there are no straightforward answers to what we're going through.. We have to stay positive.. I just tell myself my bb has gone to heaven to get stronger.. It's been 2 mths for me.. I just eat well, rest well, exercise moderately and keep positive.. My health has been pretty good so far.. I hope you recover real soon too k :)