thermometer for baby

mrsmorgan

mummies, which thermometer would u recommend? can just get e normal one which is usually placed under armpit? or e forehead or ear one? n which brand is cheap n gd? TIA!

shidajat

i have bought different kinds. the armpit one, the one for the ear, the forehead one (where you have to rub it on baby's forehead from one side to another), the one with the laser, and the last one is the contactless forehead thermometer ... that you typically see being used at hospitals entrances when we had the h1n1 flu scare .
it looks something like this, and that's the one that we use now.
because when the baby is sick, which is when we need the thermometer the most... my baby doesnt like any foreign stuff touching him. so contactless is the way to go.
the laser is far too complicated and we always get an error in reading.
Kanpei Pte Ltd - Products - Contactless Forehead Thermometer

cocraze

mummies, which thermometer would you recommend? can just get e normal one which is usually placed under armpit? or e forehead or ear one? n which brand is cheap n good? TIA!
I bought the CADI T560 thermometer from Kiddy Palace. cant remember how much already... Can use as forehead as well as ear thermometer. cos I figured out when baby too young, not easy to take temp using ear.

apollo

i was told tt armpit one is more accurate, cos ear therm sound diffe temp on both sides ears..

so far we've been using armpits one. but as ds is getting more n more active, i'm thinking of investing an ear one, just tt dunno to take which eaer's temp lehh :embarrassed:

Phoebii Cheng

We bought the forehead one, cos when my son younger it is easier to use till now......

But I thot of investing in ear thermometer as it is more accurate than the forehead, as for the armpit one.....we did not want to cos a bit difficult to keep him still

Apollo: the ear thermometer you just need to measure one ear, after a while measure the other ear for more accuracy​

diymummy

I'm using the Braun ear thermometer.

I also have an Omron thermometer. The Braun one is more accurate.

It's true the armpit one is more accurate but sometimes it takes ages for the reading to come up. And my son, is impatient... So I gave up on the armpit one.

cocraze

I'm using the Braun ear thermometer.

I also have an Omron thermometer. The Braun one is more accurate.

It's true the armpit one is more accurate but sometimes it takes ages for the reading to come up. And my son, is impatient... So I gave up on the armpit one.
Just went to paed today.
She say armpit one is most accurate but con is that it takes longer time. Your child must be willing to sit still, or you have to hold the upper arm tightly.
Next best is ear thermometer, but have to be careful with very young babies cos ear canal too small the probe may not fit.
Forehead scan is least accurate of the three, she said...

mrsmorgan

thks mummies for ur help! maybe i shld try e armpit one first since it's e most accurate then when bb starts fidgeting more then see how.. hehe

LWP6998

Alpha Male
I just bought a BRAUN Thermometer from KKH pharmacy costing about $150/-. Feedback from friends say is not bad so i bought and tried. It digital and taking temperature from the ear.. my baby only 2 days old, the thermometer can take the temp for my boy.. so far am pretty satisfied with it. Thought is quite important to have a reliable thermometer thats why bought at 150... you can consider. did not bought the omron Thermo because promoter at the pharmacy too insistent.

ben10

Alpha Male
Me here also using Bruan ear thermometer... Best so far.. I always take temp from both sides of the ears 2 times and take the highest... so far quite accurate.

camom

I bought braun. The less time I need to use to take the temp, the better. Bb very fidgety and can't stay still long enough for me to use the digital type.

jasobias

me too using braun ear thermometer..it is a gd buy..have been using it for more than 8 yrs now n the temp taken is pretty accurate

meiteoh

I'm using a rectal thermometer - quite unusual for people here but overseas, the doctors prefer it for babies over armpit or forehead because those are less accurate. The other option they do recommend is the ear but that is more suitable for toddlers. :)

allycat

I'm using a rectal thermometer - quite unusual for people here but overseas, the doctors prefer it for babies over armpit or forehead because those are less accurate. The other option they do recommend is the ear but that is more suitable for toddlers. :)
wow, wont it be very tough to use?

meiteoh

Not really. I just put vaseline, stick it in and that's it. She doesn't really squirm around during diaper changes although since I started sending her to the babysitter, she's more fidgety as the babysitter changes her on the bed and not on a proper surface so she's more inclined to roll around (and the sitter allows her to). :/

Mummy to Baby V

I also read that rectal temperature is the most accurate, but I'm not used to that. :)

Used Microlife thermometer to take armpit readings. When boy started becoming active, bought the Braun ear thermometer. It reads very fast and easy to use. I like the memory of past 8 readings.

As a kiasu mum, I'd take readings of both ears and also try to get the armpit readings, to compare. Boy just has 39.2 degree Celsius fever few days ago, so the thermometers were very well utilized.

fioncess

i use ear thermometer. like most moms. i gave up on armpit thermometer.
the doc teach mi how to measure accrately using ear thermometer.

as baby ear canal are very small in order to take the temperature correctly PULL BACK THE EAR SLIGHTLY then u put the thermometer in to take the temperture.

Tarbe

I am using the BRAUN Thermoscan. The sales person told me this is the ear thermometer use in major hospitals & clinic.