Things to be thankful for

epicurean

As mummy to my child with special needs, I find myself always trouble-shooting coz challenges/problems/medical issues keep sprouting up. Most of the time, the negative, depressing, worrying, scary stuff overshadows the happy, positive things coz the former is just so much stark and more pressing in needing me to respond to it. Yet it's the happy, sweet blessings that keep me going day after day by giving me the reserves that I need to deal with the problematic, scary issues.

I'm hoping that we can help to lift each other's spirits by sharing about the things (big, small, simple, trivial) that we're thankful for when it comes to our children with their special needs.

For me, it's seeing Sebastien being more smiley the past few months, especially in direct response to something we say or do. It's a particularly sweet blessing coz his EEG done last year showed flat brain waves and his doc told us that there's hardly any difference in his brain waves between when he's asleep and when he's awake. Meaning there's very little brain activity happening most of the time and that he's THAT severely mentally impaired.

But recently he would smile when I talk to him though not consistently all the time. He smiled when we gave him an orange to smell and see and he kept smiling each time that orange entered his line of vision and smell. In the morning, he smiles at the person feeding him before agreeing to drinking his milk. He smiles when doing his exercises ... tickling his sides, back, tummy and elbows always gets him laughing. The sweetest smile to date was given to his friend from his PICU days, a little gal who's paraplegic ... we parents put them lying side by side for some peer interaction ... they sussed each other out and started smiling at each other. Needless to say, we parents were thrilled to bits and couldn't stop laughing at how they were enjoying each other's company.

Somehow the road isn't so difficult to walk when there are moments like these.

Last edited:

Porukadotzu

with so much love that you've given to your sweet Sebastien, I'm sure he will grow up as a happy boy. This is just what we suppose to give as a mother..which is many many love nomatter what! :smile:

Agree totally about being thankful for the little things.

In fact, every little improvement is such a big deal to us.

Like Vera just learnt to clap her hands. At 2 years. What every parent would have expected of a normal kid at few months. but because we wait so long...the feeling is so much sweeter and more precious.

sushigal

At 2.5 yrs old, even though ds still not sitting on his own, or standing or walking on his own, he is able to surprise us with bits and pieces of achievements here and there. His most recent achievement is to bring both his hands to midline and successfully make thumb to thumb meets! He will play with all his fingers at midline. He finally knows that his hands/fingers exist liao~ Sometimes he will show us his 'pointer' to point at things. At times he will hold his hands up in the air and admiring his wonderful hands that God created~