Throwing out of milk after feeding

yukimaxx

Dear Mommies

I wonder if you have experienced this before.
My baby gal of 11 weeks has recently thrown out a bit of milk after a feed.
After she was fed last night, we tried to carry her and put her to sleep. However, she was crying furiously whenever we put her down. Then I tried to burp her as I am worried her tummy is full of gas and she has difficulty letting it out. During those times, there were twice she threw out some milk.
May I know what was wrong with her?

Thanks for sharing.

apollo

could it be reflux? if she vomit almost aft every feed, i suggest u go to a pd. ds kept vomiting (merlion) when he was younger and was admitted to hospital for a checkup...

Ting

might be reflux.
how often does she puke out?
or is she over fed. try feeding her slightly lesser milk n see if it still happens.

diymummy

is your baby constipating? did you recently change FM or if you're breastfeeding did you change your diet? sometimes constipation causes gas build up and it gets painful. it's just like us adults when we constipate we feel bloated and have no appetite.

my ds was diagnosed with reflux. initially PD was testing to see if it's constipation. after ruling out the possibilities, ds is confirmed to have reflux.

so my ds has a bloated tummy when he was much younger and had to use colic drops to help him expel the wind. though the colic drops can be bought on the shelves at pharmacies, better to clear with PD first coz when PD prescribe the colic drops, the dosage he recommended was much lesser (1ml) than waht was written on the box (2.5ml).

I faced the same problem few days back. My son is going to be 3months. Sometimes after drinking he vomited. I got worried and told my mother. She said if baby vomited out after drinking, that is a good sign that the food is being digest. But the vomiting milk must look like spoiled milk. I mean if the milk is spoiled or expired the look of the milk will change right? so the vomiting should look like that. Otherwise if the baby throw out the same milk he drank than that is not good.

hope this will help u.

yukimaxx

thanks mummies for the valuable info.

what is a reflux? does it mean baby vomit milk that has been swallowed? i realise the milk thrown out looked like milk, so probably it has not been swallowed. could it be she drank too fast and throw out the excess? but she does not throw out immediately. sometimes, after 10 min or so, she threw out when we burp her.

she does not have any constipation. i breastfeed her in the day and usually, the night feeding is using formula. i didn't change the brand of formula recently.

she used to take colic drops prescribed by PD. it was finished already. perhaps i should ask PD if she requires to take some more.

uddermummy

erm, i have to disagree with simplemum.

all bbs will spit up after feeds. It's when the spitting is a lot, or is causing bb a lot of pain that you should be concerned. For normal spitters, the spitting usually gets better when bbs are older cos the stomach muscle that stops the food from coming out is stronger.

When the spit looks like curdled milk, it may be saliva mixed with milk, or partially digested milk. Fully digested milk would have been absorbed by the body. It's actually more uncomfortable for bbs to spit up partially digested milk cos the spit would contain acids from the stomach.

to rule out reflux, you may want to check the symptoms of reflux from this page:
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f97/mummies-babies-gerd-reflux-15460/index8.html

diymummy

yes when my boy spits up, it's like curdled milk. the milk is smelly, like it has acids in it, coz it smells sour. so i guess that's considered partially disgested milk.

the other symptom that my PD asked to determine whether my baby had reflux was whether he likes arching his back. my boy always drinks half way and then arches his back coz of the pain.

what brand is your colic drops? usually they can be bought off the shelves from pharmacies which would be cheaper than going back to buy from your PD. i used dentinox colic drops and i fed that till my boy started solids.

yukimaxx

the colic drops is called rid wind. at least i have learned something and can worry less. the milk thrown out is not digested/partially digested milk which means my baby is a happy splitter! thanks mummies