toddler calls me Baby instead of Mommy! How to reverse?

tika

My hubby and I were lying in bed with our toddler one evening. We were talking abt things in general when I got engrossed with an sms and I turned away from him. We use the term 'baby' and 'sayang' when referring to one another and at that pt of time, he was calling me baby many times to get my attention. Then our 19 mth old toddler started to mimick him. Then she sat on my tummy and called me baby. I smiled and answered yes?? (which could have been a mistake. :( )

It was cute no doubt. However, she has been calling me baby eversince!!!! Before that day, she called me Mommy perfectly fine. We've been correcting her the last few days but she doesn't seem to get it.

Any other ideas how to reverse back what she absorbed?

yan2

Haha.My girl recently called me by my name...instead of "mummy". She will laugh when i corrected her. Try to be funny.

apollo

huhh... lik tt i gonna be careful now.. cos me and my hubby call each other 'baby'... shd we change now by calling each other 'daddy' 'mummy'??

littlehelper

yeah thats a solution also i believe you can recognise baby's voice so when she calls you "baby" don't respond...
Get someone else to correct it while you jus go along and continue whatever you are doing. Then when he calls mummy then you turn and answer.

CanCanMum

Baber realises he dun get his things pretty spontaneously when he calls me "Mommy, i want ribena"

So Baber calls me "Dear Oooi, i want ribena~~"

coz he sees uncle nic calls me "Dear Oooi", i wan eat maggee mee, And i went straight to cook for him

lolsss.........beta stop them :p

Last edited:

apollo

Baber realises he dont get his things pretty spontaneous when he calls me "Mommy, i want ribena"

So Baber calls me "Dear Oooi, i want ribena~~"

coz he sees uncle nic calls me "Dear Oooi", i want eat maggee mee, And i went straight to cook for him

lolsss.........beta stop them :p
WAOPIANG!!! cancanmum, i cant stop laughing when i see ur post!!! baber so cute lahhhhhhh!!! he so clever!!! HAHA!!!

CanCanMum

WAOPIANG!!! cancanmum, i cant stop laughing when i see your post!!! baber so cute lahhhhhhh!!! he so clever!!! HAHA!!!

lolsss

its not really cute when he calls me tat outside whwhahhahahha

coz its heard by many pple so Lao Kui~~~(dui lian) :p

tinkerball

My hubby and I were lying in bed with our toddler one evening. We were talking about things in general when I got engrossed with an sms and I turned away from him. We use the term 'baby' and 'sayang' when referring to one another and at that pt of time, he was calling me baby many times to get my attention. Then our 19 month old toddler started to mimick him. Then she sat on my tummy and called me baby. I smiled and answered yes?? (which could have been a mistake. :( )

It was cute no doubt. However, she has been calling me baby eversince!!!! Before that day, she called me Mommy perfectly fine. We've been correcting her the last few days but she doesn't seem to get it.

Any other ideas how to reverse back what she absorbed?
woohoo! now u have two babies in the house:wong9:

Frenchkitty

My nephew calls his Grandparents by name also Hahahah so cute & makes everyone laugh out loud! And these laughter and happiness is extremely rewarding and encouraging my nephew to call them by names more HEHE

apollo

lolsss

its not really cute when he calls me that outside whwhahhahahha

coz its heard by many pple so Lao Kui~~~(dui lian) :p
he did that outside? OMG! lucky ur hubby didnt call u 'laopo' if not baber will be lik crayon shinchan calling his mummy "laopo~~~" LOL!

Ting

pin does that too, she also does it purposely.
when my mum/ dad call each other by name, she also mimick them.
the only person she calls by name is my younger sis.. only when she wants something then she call her yiyi..
it's a phase i would think. but if it's bothering u, then keep correcting her til she calls u mommy. ignore when she calls u baby, only respond to mummy, she'll get the message sooner or later.
perhaps she is still too young to understand, thus get confused.
its like say u hv a fren call A, but other ppl call him B, n he acknowledge to the name B, so u will get confused too right??

tika

thanks for all replies. :)

i've never acknowledged it when she calls me baby. hubby and i also have temporarily stopped calling each other sayang and baby in front of her. hopefully she gets out of the phase soon.