Toddler died at childcare

pkshl

Channel NewsAsia - 18-month-old girl dies in her sleep - channelnewsasia.com

18-month-old girl dies in her sleep
Posted: 13 September 2010 1611 hrs

SINGAPORE: An 18-month-old toddler died in her sleep last Tuesday.

It is understood that the child was at a Bukit Batok childcare centre on 7 September when a caregiver found the girl not breathing.

The girl was brought to the National University Hospital at about noon.

MediaCorp understands that the cause of death will be determined at a coroner's inquiry.

When contacted by MediaCorp, the child's father said the family has come to terms with its loss and wants to grieve privately.

- CNA/ir

Might be SIDS.

Read somewhere that SIDS is most likely attributed to poor breathing circulation. This means the child was sleeping in a position that did not allow proper ventilation, and kept breathing and re-breathing their own carbon dioxide.

A little tricky to prove post-mortem, that's why doctors have not been able to reach proper conclusion to SIDS.

Ting

oh my, this is so saddening! i hope they can find out the cause of her death.. poor thing..

meiteoh

Urm, SIDS can happen to toddlers below 2 yo and things like overbundling (allows children to fall into deep sleep and if they stop breathing, they can't wake themselves up), poor ventilation, use of pillows/toys/blankets and other factors can increase the chances of SIDS. *sigh*

I hope the CC will relook at their caregiving procedures and methods.

Gem2505

any idea which child care centre? tried to find it thru the news, they dont dare to mention..... im staying at the west, hope i dont bump into that sch man. i think the care giver could have prevented this mishap.

littlehelper

Well, if the kid was sick and the caregiver did not take extra precautions that's her fault.
But in this case, it was sudden and investigations are still going on i guess? There was no sign that she was ill/unwell. I don't think that the caregiver can be blamed and i m sure the caregiver too must be feeling terrible after this incident.
Having said this, my heart goes out to the parents and to the caregiver too. I hope that they will still move on with life...

Amulet

any idea which child care centre? tried to find it thru the news, they dont dare to mention..... im staying at the west, hope i dont bump into that sch man. i think the care giver could have prevented this mishap.
if it's SID, there is nothing much the caregiver could have done to prevent it.. somemore it's a toddler already.. not an infant..

haiz.. very sad news..

sandra5dksk

InLoss,

totally agreed with you! how i wish we can get maternity leave till 6mths to fully concentrate on breastfeeding.... + can take no-leave leave (for private sector) up till baby 1st year old. This is the same as UK system. And guarrantee mothers to have their jobs protected from unfair dismissal by their employers.

btw don't need to worry about infant care school... i had the same sentiments as you initially. My baby enjoys gg to infant care & help him to develop social skills at a tender age =) he looks very happy too.
The only down side is: prone to falling sick if there's 1 baby being sick.
but its still okay, every bb needs to fall sick in order for their bodies to produce antibodies + immunity. It's either now sick or later and pre-sch days.
No difference.

ebi

InLoss,

totally agreed with you! how i wish we can get maternity leave till 6mths to fully concentrate on breastfeeding.... + can take no-leave leave (for private sector) up till baby 1st year old. This is the same as UK system. And guarrantee mothers to have their jobs protected from unfair dismissal by their employers.

btw dont't need to worry about infant care school... i had the same sentiments as you initially. My baby enjoys gg to infant care & help him to develop social skills at a tender age =) he looks very happy too.
The only down side is: prone to falling sick if there's 1 baby being sick.
but its still okay, every baby needs to fall sick in order for their bodies to produce antibodies + immunity. It's either now sick or later and pre-sch days.
No difference.
Yes totally agreed that we should have M leave til 6mths as to encourage they exclusively BF til then and should try follow the UK way where can have no paid leave til baby turn 1yr... really give a a hug releif and can buidl stronger bond with our little one.

My gal she is now abt 9mths also go infant care... at 1st i also very worry that they don't treat her well and feeling extremely guilty in leave her to work... and now she smile to the caregiver when sending her in... so I think she also have good time there and can play with other babies... so not too worry abt it :)