Tofu

annie

sometimes i give her straight without anything else n sometimes throw into her porridge. she loves tofu hehe

shulyn

Dear mummies,

I wanna give tofu to my dear son, which type should i buy? And what do cook it with?

Hi Serene,

I always go market and buy those 水豆腐, cos those silken type contains preservative and you can get it anywhere...

For me, i will mix together with porridge cos Treston doesnt like to eat it alone. I tried using Egg yolk, mix with Tofu and some stocks to steam, its like chawamushi..Haha...I also steam the tofu and mix in his cereal with other stuffs like pumpkin, banana, cheese etc...Cos tofu alone, he doesnt like...

diymummy

Sorry mummies, may I ask what age do you start giving tofu??? I've been dragging it coz on websites I read that babies might get soy allergy?? I have allergic baby so I'm very scared to intro tofu.

Shulyn mummy, can the "shui tofu" be bought from supermarket? My house downstair market don't have tofu stall... :(

shulyn

Sorry mummies, may I ask what age do you start giving tofu??? I've been dragging it coz on websites I read that babies might get soy allergy?? I have allergic baby so I'm very scared to intro tofu.

Shulyn mummy, can the "shui tofu" be bought from supermarket? My house downstair market dont't have tofu stall... :(
Diymummy,

水豆腐 can only be bought in Market. My house also don't have market and gonna go elsewhere. Supermarket types is those in box, baby also can take...I also wonder, those supermarket types also put No preservatives but can keep for so long sure got add stuffs to keep longer so i prefer to buy those Fresh Tofu from market.

I started my boy 7 mths on Tofu, so far no allergy.
Tofu is a very good food, you can give it a try and wait for 4 days wait rule. I read Snowbear blog before, her gal also got allergy after taking Tofu. I read from book, if your child got allergy, you might want to postphone the food later.

Btw, how old is your baby now?

diymummy

Shulyn mummy, my boy just turned 10mths. He almost everyday have rashes. Right now the foods that he can take are pumpkin, sweet potato and potato. He don't like brocolli and he's allergic to carrots. I've not tried peas yet. It's quite hard to start a new food... coz I need to do a new food, then if rashes, feed non-allergic food for a week for rashes to clear, then start another new food. Then at 7mths he got diarrhea from salmon so PD advised to stop all vege for 1 mth. Can really go nuts man... So now I'm slowly starting protein food.

shulyn

Shulyn mummy, my boy just turned 10mths. He almost everyday have rashes. Right now the foods that he can take are pumpkin, sweet potato and potato. He dont't like brocolli and he's allergic to carrots. I've not tried peas yet. It's quite hard to start a new food... coz I need to do a new food, then if rashes, feed non-allergic food for a week for rashes to clear, then start another new food. Then at 7mths he got diarrhea from salmon so pediatrician advised to stop all vege for 1 month. Can really go nuts man... So now I'm slowly starting protein food.
Hmmm, i understand being a mummy is not easy de...

I find Peas hard to make small portion for boy so i just bought the organic types. Only Peas i bought the bottles types, still prefer to give fresh food for boy.

Green Veggie that i have gave so far are brocolli, cauliflower, spinach and one is dialect call 'Phuay Leng', i dont know what they call in English.

As for your boy doesnt like brocolli, why dont you try mixing in his porridge? i steam the brocolli and blend in a blender and serve...

Have you tried giving egg yolk? Its also one of the protein food...

Salmon and cod is too oily, some baby may not take it. This is why my mum strongly oppose me from giving cod. I tried giving cod slowly, started my boy to cod fish at 7 mths plus, once he is ok, then i increase to twice a week. I didnt give daily, cos salmon and cod alone take up 3 times a week as this 2 fish is very oily.

So you give birth somewhere in end dec? We are about the same...Wanna bring your boy to the positive babies class? I wanna let him explore to more friends around his age, music, learning simple baby signs and some exercise like baby yoga...You can refer to the post for more info, so far i have 2 friends joining, plus me total 3 paxs already. All mummies with their baby from 7-15 mths. http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f44/positive-babies-7-15-mths-baby-yoga-simple-sign-language-exercise-songs-25-a-24067/

diymummy

Hi Shulyn mummy,

Thanks. :) Your info is very useful for me. I've also thought of egg.. But I also scared allergy. I guess I just have to start bit by bit lorr...

Yeah I saw your thread abt the positive babies. I doubt I have the time to bring him there :( Weekends always packed with bringing him to parents or in-laws place lahh and all these things...

shulyn

Hi Shulyn mummy,

Thanks. :) Your info is very useful for me. I've also thought of egg.. But I also scared allergy. I guess I just have to start bit by bit lorr...

Yeah I saw your thread about the positive babies. I doubt I have the time to bring him there :( Weekends always packed with bringing him to parents or in-laws place lahh and all these things...
No worries diymummy,

For egg yolk, i give alternate day or 3-4 times a week according to Super Baby Food book. As your son got allergy reaction, try the food slowly.

Corn is also one of the of the allergy food, i also try when dear son is 8 mths old. I use it to make veggie stocks for dear son too...so far so good:) Dont worry, your boy is 10 mths old, can start to introduce more variety of foods but try slowly using the 4 days wait rule...

You working or stay at home mum? My weekends also very busy, as im working, sat will bring dear son out, sun go church and go back to mil house...Luckily dear son is under my mum care so need not report to my parents very weekend...But still i will arrange outing together with my parents cos they are always so busy looking after my son and i need to reward them too...

snowbear

Hmm, you can give tofu as what the rest of the mummies here have suggested. Another way is to serve it like a dessert: cut tofu into small cubes; cut mango and puree part of the amt into juice and cut the rest into cubes. Drench the tofu cubes with the mango juice and puree. Yummy! :D

Too bad my darling's allergic to soy pdts... I let her try tofu a bit again lately and got rashes again...

annie

i started my girl on tofu around 11mths old cos i also worry bout allergy.. so far she is allergic to ikan billis n mackeral...she is ok with soy though..i bought organic 棉豆腐 for her usually...

btw, does all tofu taste the same? im someone who dosent like tofu but then i tried the tofu i gave her n it taste very nice! hehe. taste exactly like those soy bean drink leh.. but then the previous tofu ive tried all rather tasteless... so wondering if all tofu taste the same?

shulyn

i started my girl on tofu around 11mths old cos i also worry bout allergy.. so far she is allergic to ikan billis n mackeral...she is ok with soy though..i bought organic 棉豆腐 for her usually...

btw, does all tofu taste the same? im someone who dosent like tofu but then i tried the tofu i gave her n it taste very nice! hehe. taste exactly like those soy bean drink .. but then the previous tofu ive tried all rather tasteless... so wondering if all tofu taste the same?
Nope, all tofu taste different... The 水豆腐 i bought from market doesnt taste as good as those i tried. My mum bought the Organic tofu from supermarket for our family, its quite nice. Silken tofu also taste better than 水豆腐 so i often mix 水豆腐 with cereal or porridge etc...

annie

ok.. i was thinking if can simply buy any tofu for my girl if they taste the same.. but since she likes the organic one i bought n i myself likes it too, i will continue to buy that one hehe

stonston

Be careful about what type of tofu you buy. Some tofu uses EGG as it's ingredients (the round types).

So far I only use organic silken tofu.

Silken tofu sold in our supermarkets mostly do not have preservatives as they are vacuum sealed & chilled. Tofu does not spoil easily if kept properly.

If you are worried, try making your own soy bean drink at home to let baby try before giving tofu. If your baby is allergic to soy, then at least home made soy bean drink is more mild than tofu.

Hi Serene,

I always go market and buy those 水豆腐, cos those silken type contains preservative and you can get it anywhere...

For me, i will mix together with porridge cos Treston doesnt like to eat it alone. I tried using Egg yolk, mix with Tofu and some stocks to steam, its like chawamushi..Haha...I also steam the tofu and mix in his cereal with other stuffs like pumpkin, banana, cheese etc...Cos tofu alone, he doesnt like...
Helo:)

Ok as wat u told me earlier tis evening, duno wat shui tofu is....since i m working now, may buy organic tofu which i saw jus now at the ntuc to let my son to try.

Wan to try to steam the chawamushi too:) ic, tofu alone, no taste so they may not like it.

annie

i always thought tofu no taste n i dun like it also but then the organic tofu i bought for my girl taste like soy bean drink so it actually taste nice! my girl can finish half a packet just for her snack! i give it to her straight from the packet lol. dosent need any way to prepare... she loves it as it is.

i tried to freeze the tofu cos i read online that freezing it changes its texture n make it chewy instead. so i thought can try a change of texture for my girl but then she dosent seem to like the chewy tofu at all... n she gag on it though i didnt give her a big pc..

Be careful about what type of tofu you buy. Some tofu uses EGG as it's ingredients (the round types).

So far I only use organic silken tofu.

Silken tofu sold in our supermarkets mostly do not have preservatives as they are vacuum sealed & chilled. Tofu does not spoil easily if kept properly.

If you are worried, try making your own soy bean drink at home to let baby try before giving tofu. If your baby is allergic to soy, then at least home made soy bean drink is more mild than tofu.
Ok thks stonston, u mentioned to keep the tofu properly, issit better if i kept it in a airtight conditioner, how long can it last to kept in the fridge?

Ok soy bean drink? sound interesting..how to make it?