Toilet Train ( speaking from experience needed )

rainbow123

Hi , will luv to have mummies here to share how you toilet train your toddler.
My baby now is about 16 months so would want to learn how to toilet train her as early as possible. Thanks in advance to all . :tlaugh:

apollo

i bring ds to toilet asking him to pee every 30min. it took about 2 weeks before he know that he shd pee in the toilet. nowadays still have some 'accidents' if i forgot to bring him to toilet or he forgot to tell me. be prepared for many 'accidents' during the 1st few weeks. =)

rainbow123

i bring ds to toilet asking him to pee every 30min. it took about 2 weeks before he know that he shd pee in the toilet. nowadays still have some 'accidents' if i forgot to bring him to toilet or he forgot to tell me. be prepared for many 'accidents' during the 1st few weeks. =)
Thank apollo , can i check what did you let dear son wore during these period of time ? You took off the diaper every 30 min ?

apollo

nope, totally didnt let him wear diaper, let him wear boys underwear or training pants. but during the 1st 2 weeks he seldom want to pee in the toilet. whenever i brought him in, but pee once we step out of the toilet. =.= Give ur toddler 3-4 weeks time, if aft 3-4 weeks she still cant get it and no improvement, stop for a few weeks and start again cos maybe she is still not ready. =)

Mummy to Baby V

We started pre-potty training at 7 months old, so it was only once a day at the potty. Then gradually increased the frequency.
Easier to succeed with poo training for toddler cos can catch timing or expression more easily.

For pee training, need to use consistent vocab / hand signs. Teach feeling of wetness.
When my boy was more ready, I regularly asked him if he needed to pee.
By using cloth diapers or pants, I knew his estimated pee timing, so only needed to bring him to potty every 2 hours.

Different children need different length of time to succeed. They need to learn to control the bladder and communicate well enough. My boy could tell me consistently only sometime before 2nd birthday.

More of our sharing at
18 Sure-Fire Tips for Early Potty Training Success | Mummy's Reviews

All the best! :)

snowee

nope, totally didnt let him wear diaper, let him wear boys underwear or training pants. but during the 1st 2 weeks he seldom want to pee in the toilet. whenever i brought him in, but pee once we step out of the toilet. =.= Give ur toddler 3-4 weeks time, if aft 3-4 weeks she still cant get it and no improvement, stop for a few weeks and start again cos maybe she is still not ready. =)
Hi Apollo,

i would like to try to train my 16mth old son too.. can i ask you few qns:-

1)do you let him wear underwear or training pants only? No need wear shorts?

2) Each time you bring him to pee in toilet, do you take off his underwear/training pants? or just flip up ? I let my son wear diaper with shorts..each time want to bring him to pee, like very troublesome, take out diaper and shorts.. later wear back again.. i feel very tired...

3) Your son stands and pee in the toilet floor? I tried bring my son to toilet and stand to pee on the toilet floor, .. he always wet his feet... :( so each time need to wash his leg after pee.. Is it same to yours?

4) How do you train your son to poo in toilet? When i noticed his expression and wanted to bring him to toilet, he already done his job in his diaper...

Thks in advance! :)

raeka

I like to shared mine with u .

I start to train my son when he is 17months. start from half day to full day .
I didnt give him wear diaper as i look after myself so i only give him a short .

Bring him to pee every 30min to 1 hr , depend on his water in take.

well, firstly he dunno and will always pees on the floor. by then u can slowly tell him cannot pee on the floor , pee have to be in toilet or in potty near the toilet.

U have to teach him SHH SHH for pee and poo poo for pass motion. < every mum teach a different way of saying so is depend on ur own language with ur child.>

I taught my boy for around 4 month then he pass with flying color.

< when he is ready i tried bringing him out for a short distance then ask him to endure his pee till we reach the place then can pee. >

Slowly teach dun too hurry as might scare them without knowing.

snowee

I like to shared mine with u .

I start to train my son when he is 17months. start from half day to full day .
I didnt give him wear diaper as i look after myself so i only give him a short .

Bring him to pee every 30min to 1 hr , depend on his water in take.

well, firstly he dunno and will always pees on the floor. by then u can slowly tell him cannot pee on the floor , pee have to be in toilet or in potty near the toilet.

U have to teach him SHH SHH for pee and poo poo for pass motion. < every mum teach a different way of saying so is depend on ur own language with ur child.>

I taught my boy for around 4 month then he pass with flying color.

< when he is ready i tried bringing him out for a short distance then ask him to endure his pee till we reach the place then can pee. >

Slowly teach dun too hurry as might scare them without knowing.
Hi,
meaning you have to follow him whenever he goes... i'm afraid he pee on the floor and then slip , fall and knock his head :(
you started when your kid is 17th mth, thats my kid's age now.. i should start now ya..

You don't get him training pants?

Mummy to Baby V

Hi,
meaning you have to follow him whenever he goes... i'm afraid he pee on the floor and then slip , fall and knock his head :(
you started when your kid is 17th mth, thats my kid's age now.. i should start now ya..

You don't get him training pants?
Same here, I'm also concerned about him slipping on pee puddles. If he pees over mattress, books or soft toys, I'd have a headache cleaning up too.

So we used cloth diapers or training pants. Until he has learnt the skill completely, then move to underwear.

Instead of bringing him to toilet very often, I use cloth diapers to monitor his output frequency. Then i know roughly when he needs to pee and ask him accordingly. About once in every 2 hours is enough for him.

raeka

I didn't follow my boy . i play with him and sometime in the kitchen cooking.
if he pee on the floor he will stand down there and calling for mummy or keep quietly.

so far when i trained him he didn't pee and fall. as every child is different.

u need to monitor ur child first.

Nope, i didn't use training pants as i look after myself. so i just gave him wear shorts which is easily pull off.
somemore when he pee on his pants , u can ask him how he feel or wet wet not nice right ? tell he/she to pee on the potty.

IS up to u whether u wanna train early or late. The amount of water ur child drink is also concern with.
u can try by , morning wake up take off the diaper and go straight to toilet and pee.

<< as my boy study in pre-nursery and he is wearing underwear to school. my thinking is if u start school then training him will be hard as sch time and ur routine is abit pack. >>

Last edited:

camom

How you train ?
Ooops.. i didn't see this until now.

I dun use training pants or diapers when i tt, only underwear and shorts. Every 5 min, ask if he wants to go toilet. If he says yes n does it in the toilet, I will lay off for ard 20-30 min and start asking again.

I think your child must be able to vocalise his need to visit toilet 1st before you can start, else it's going to be very stressful.

Ting

pin also didnt wear diapers when she is toilet trained. will be better if ur child is old enough to speak n let u know if he/she wet their pants. pin only started arnd 2.5 yo in CC. she had little accidents. now still on diaper at night cos she still has v heavy diapers at night sometimes. gg to wait her to be drier at night b4 night training her. :)

rainbow123

I am not having much progress with the training ..
Run away from the potty laughing away ..
Gonna wait till she grow bigger i guess...