Training Cup-please advise

apollo

are u looking for straw cup or sippy cup? ds has been using MAGMAG straw cup and Munchkin straw cup. MAGMAG is good as it has a handle for them to hold but it is not leak-proof. Munchkin is leak-proof but is abit diifi to suck the water from the straw (since it is LEAK-PROOF haha) so the baby nd sometimes to 'master the skill'

If u're looking for sippy cup, i think Avent one seems not bad.

for cleaning, i think all are the same, have to take out the straw (for straw cups) for clean the straw thoroughly by using those straw brush. =)

duckiemom

are u looking for straw cup or sippy cup? ds has been using MAGMAG straw cup and Munchkin straw cup. MAGMAG is good as it has a handle for them to hold but it is not leak-proof. Munchkin is leak-proof but is abit diifi to suck the water from the straw (since it is LEAK-PROOF haha) so the baby nd sometimes to 'master the skill'

If u're looking for sippy cup, i think Avent one seems not bad.

for cleaning, i think all are the same, have to take out the straw (for straw cups) for clean the straw thoroughly by using those straw brush. =)
hey Apollo mommy,
can i ask when do you start your bb on the magmag cup? I bought one
few mths back. My Belle's 6mths now.
If using magmag cup, do i also need to buy a straw brush to clean it?

rainbow123

I see.
Will sippy leak ? Thinking of avoiding the straw portion as scare that my Nanny will have problem cleaning it.

apollo

hey Apollo mommy,
can i ask when do you start your baby on the magmag cup? I bought one
few mths back. My Belle's 6mths now.
If using magmag cup, do i also need to buy a straw brush to clean it?
ds has been using magmag since 5.5mth old when he started semi solid. we started from the spout teat den when he was 8mth+, switch to the straw one. if using the straw one, yes nd to use the straw brush to clean.

I see.
Will sippy leak ? Thinking of avoiding the straw portion as scare that my Nanny will have problem cleaning it.
i think Avent sippy cup wont leak. if i'm not wrong, the bb nd to suck in order for the water to come out. =)

trine

mommies.. do you have any good tips how to switch to sippy or straw cup? My boy is 11 months and until now he only can take the mag mag spout. I bought him tommee tippee explora but he kinda had a hard time sucking the water from it. it is leak proof btw.

do you think i should get him something that is not leak proof so it's easy to suck?

allycat

My boy is already 8+ months n he still doesnt know how to drink from the spout :-( Any idea how to teach him?

megtan

My boy is now 9 months and drinking water/diluted juices with Magmag straw cup.

When he was 6 months (started to feed solids so need to give water), I intro him the Avent soft spout for a few weeks, but he didn't know how to suck (he refused to lie down/incline or tilt his head), just kept biting the spout. I tried it myself, found that need to suck very hard, probably the reason why he couldn't get it and gave up. So I just fed water using spoon.

Around end of 6 months, I got the Magmag straw cup. Intro to him a few weeks and at first he didn't know how to suck from the straw just kept biting. Around end of 7 months, all of a sudden, he knew how to suck. And once he got it, he couldn't stop sucking. Now I have to pull the cup away from him to prevent him from drinking too much water and too full to drink milk or eat his solids.

I also bought the Combi open cup (I think is Stage 4 cup) around end of 7 months. Once in a while will let him try. I like it coz it has a lid with 2 holes - 1 big and 1 small to control amount of water. He still doesn't know how to control flow yet so I hold the cup for him.

Last edited:

apollo

mommies.. do you have any good tips how to switch to sippy or straw cup? My boy is 11 months and until now he only can take the mag mag spout. I bought him tommee tippee explora but he kinda had a hard time sucking the water from it. it is leak proof btw.

do you think i should get him something that is not leak proof so it's easy to suck?
when 1st start to train them drink from straw, i think magmag will do. cos leak-proof will be much more diffi to suck the water out while magmag is much more easier. last time ds also dun really noe hw to suck water from dtraw.. we took 2-3 weeks to 'train' him. the 1st time, he didnt manage to suck the water, we change bk to the spout. den few days later let him try again..... still cannot... and we continue for ard 2-3 weeks and finally one day he suddenly drink from the straw cup. :tlaugh:

rainbow123

Sorry got another question .
As mentioned , i got both the mag mag and the avent one .
Wondering if can steam them in the pigeon rapid steamer ?

Thanks ..

apollo

Sorry got another question .
As mentioned , i got both the mag mag and the avent one .
Wondering if can steam them in the pigeon rapid steamer ?

Thanks ..
i dont sterilise those cup in steriliser.. i just use hot water to rinse b4 use. =)

camom

I still prefer magmag spout cups over Avent. For straw cups, my kids used munchkin with frequent straw replacements even tho I use the straw brush to clean.

I let my son play with the cup and showed him how i suck water from straw.

He now uses strawcups only when we go out. At home, he drinks from a normal ikea plastic kid cup.

duckiemom

I still prefer magmag spout cups over Avent. For straw cups, my kids used munchkin with frequent straw replacements even tho I use the straw brush to clean.

I let my son play with the cup and showed him how i suck water from straw.

He now uses strawcups only when we go out. At home, he drinks from a normal ikea plastic kid cup.
Hey Camom,
Can i ask which straw brush you use? I let Belle use the mag mag straw cup and she happily drink from it, in fact i think she drinks more water than from the milk bottle :tlaugh:

camom

Hey Camom,
Can i ask which straw brush you use? I let Belle use the mag mag straw cup and she happily drink from it, in fact i think she drinks more water than from the milk bottle :tlaugh:
Pigeon has the straw brush. I also saw the piyopiyo one at Kiddy Palace b4.

Last edited: