Traveling to Los Angeles and San Fransisco with a toddler and preschooler. Advice pl

taffilya

I am planning to travel to Los Angeles and San Fransisco with my 5yo son and 2.5yo daughter. With long flights, I am wondering what will be in store for me :-/
advice from parents who had brought young children for such adventure, pls. Especially on keeping their sanity on board the long flights as well as advice on traveling to Los Angeles and San Fransisco in general wld be appreciated too:001_302:

Last edited:

makarios

Re: Traveling to Los Angeles and San Fransisco with a toddler and preschooler. Advice

Understand the concern as I travel to SF with my 2.5 yo in tow for a few times already. It was a bit of a challenge but looking at it positively, it was quite an experience! :)
These were what I brought on hand carry:
- 4 small pouches--each containing small toys and/ or small board game sets(to take out one pouch at one time so that the freshness of playing with the toys remains; also choose toys that does not produce too much noise that disturbs other passengers).
- a few small books
- laptop/ipad with cartoons and games (I find that the cartoon movies/ shows onboard not that suitable for 2.5 yo but 5 yo may be alright)
- washable crayons and markers (in ziploc bags) with cartoon characters activity booklets
- lots of her favourite snacks (best to be low in sugar content as young children may get too hyper and not good for long travels).
- bring 2 sets of change of clothes (for spills and leaks), small towel & wet wipes.

Think depending on airlines, the air stewardess also gives some activity packs for children. So this comes a plus and addition to what you brought.

Generally when going LA or SF, the first lap of the journey (either to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Taipei, or Seoul) is easier since it'll take 4-6 hours. So I find that using the activity packs from the airline is adequate. So I tend to ration the activities so that on the last few hours of the 2nd lap (with 10-15hours) still hanging, I can still provide activities and toys to a "cranky" kid...

I also find that during the transit time (though may be short), it's good for the children to walk around instead of sitting at the waiting area so that they can spend their energy. Since baby, my dd sleeps lesser than her counterparts. On my first trip to SF, I wasn't sure if she can sleep so I asked her PD to give medicine like for allergies which makes her sleepy. Thank God I didn't need to use it. That's a little drastic but good to just prepare and use as last resort...

Also onboard, hydrating is very necessary for children. They get less cranky if well hydrated. For their sleeping time, try to stretch their naps or sleep to be nearer to SF time so that they can adjust to SF time faster.

I'm not sure if your 2.5yo is potty trained but if not, may need to use better diapers (for nite use kind) so that it'll not leak or need to change so many times. Changing diapers in the toilet can be quite a hassle. So pull-up pants type is also good.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

taffilya

Re: Traveling to Los Angeles and San Fransisco with a toddler and preschooler. Advice

Understand the concern as I travel to SF with my 2.5 yo in tow for a few times already. It was a bit of a challenge but looking at it positively, it was quite an experience! :)
These were what I brought on hand carry:
- 4 small pouches--each containing small toys and/ or small board game sets(to take out one pouch at one time so that the freshness of playing with the toys remains; also choose toys that does not produce too much noise that disturbs other passengers).
- a few small books
- laptop/ipad with cartoons and games (I find that the cartoon movies/ shows onboard not that suitable for 2.5 yo but 5 yo may be alright)
- washable crayons and markers (in ziploc bags) with cartoon characters activity booklets
- lots of her favourite snacks (best to be low in sugar content as young children may get too hyper and not good for long travels).
- bring 2 sets of change of clothes (for spills and leaks), small towel & wet wipes.

Think depending on airlines, the air stewardess also gives some activity packs for children. So this comes a plus and addition to what you brought.

Generally when going LA or SF, the first lap of the journey (either to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Taipei, or Seoul) is easier since it'll take 4-6 hours. So I find that using the activity packs from the airline is adequate. So I tend to ration the activities so that on the last few hours of the 2nd lap (with 10-15hours) still hanging, I can still provide activities and toys to a "cranky" kid...

I also find that during the transit time (though may be short), it's good for the children to walk around instead of sitting at the waiting area so that they can spend their energy. Since baby, my dd sleeps lesser than her counterparts. On my first trip to SF, I wasn't sure if she can sleep so I asked her PD to give medicine like for allergies which makes her sleepy. Thank God I didn't need to use it. That's a little drastic but good to just prepare and use as last resort...

Also onboard, hydrating is very necessary for children. They get less cranky if well hydrated. For their sleeping time, try to stretch their naps or sleep to be nearer to SF time so that they can adjust to SF time faster.

I'm not sure if your 2.5yo is potty trained but if not, may need to use better diapers (for nite use kind) so that it'll not leak or need to change so many times. Changing diapers in the toilet can be quite a hassle. So pull-up pants type is also good.

Hope this helps.

Thank you makarios for sharing your experience :)

I have a feeling my hand carried luggage on board will be filled to the brim with kids' activity kits and belongings hahah!

makarios

My pleasure. :eek:Hope that you have an enjoyable and safe trip!