Troubled - Lizard & Roachers

Cheyenne

Hi Mummies,

I'm so upset.... We recently shift to our dream home 3 months ago. House was so nice and clean when we came to see before decision to buy. I also asked the previous owners about pest problem - cos 3rd floor. He said some only, not much.

And yet, there are some much roachers - those small German roacher. They can run and hide inbetween the wooden gaps/frame/corners in the house. We are hardly at home. Hubby and me only come back at 9pm plus for show, TV and sleep and let home early at 7am. There is also no food laying around. We also eat out on weekend. So I really wonder where these roachers come from.

I bought panda leave to place around in kitchen, but not very helpful. Those fellow can run around in the cupboard = surprise each time I open the cupboard for utentils.

And the hateful lizard = huge one that hide in the wooden frame too. Each night or morning, I came back/woke up to find it's dropping and know that they came out again.

Luckily, the children are only back on the weekends.

I guess we can't 'return' the home to the owner anymore. Have tried one Pest control company which friend recommended. They said looks ok, just keep the yard area clean and not clutter. They also help to clear the swerage / man hole in the whole house and yet those pest came back.

Any advise for me ?

stonston

I had the same problem in my new house. Suspect that the insects came with our belongings from the old house.

Our solution (tried & tested and works!):
1. Buy those powder ant/cockroach poison. Crush some cornflakes and mix together with the powdered poison.
2. Take a sheet of paper (or newspaper). Fold it into a pop up triangle.
3. Use double sided tape on the inside of the pop up triangle. Scatter the poison/cornflakes mix on the doublesided tape.
4. Staple up the triangle so that it will not move out of shape.
5. Hide it in dark corners or near areas that you know have roaches.
6. Check every 2-3 days. You will find dead roaches very soon :)

For lizards:
1. Buy those lizard traps (using gum). I think I bought Combat (the brand).
2. Follow the instructions (remove the paper to expose the sticky gum, scatter some bait which is provided with the trap in the centre and leave in areas near where they are hiding).
For this, it can also trap the larger cockroaches. We use this in our car also.

Also, you can buy citronella or tea tree oil. Put a few drops in all your cabinets/wardrobe/behind mirrors. They do not like the smell, esp for citronella. It will also keep the mosquitoes away.

Cheyenne

Thanks stonston, I juat saw some our forum where they recommend lemongrass for the lizards. Will give it a try first beore explore your suggestion.

As the those powder medicine for roaches, I'm a little reluctant as m kids are stil young esp DS in the crawling and finger picking stage. It can be a bit risky. Nevertheless, will try it out once I get the chance.

For me, it's not our od stuff. It's the structure of the building and the previous owner wooden furniture. I recalled that I also got such problem years back when I was very young and that happen in my parent time.

stonston

If you want a poison free solution, you can try mixing cornflakes with sodium bicarbonate. It's harmless to us & tastes bitter (kids won't like it) but effective in killing cockroaches.

Lemongrass doesn't work. We tried at our old house.