Type of swimming floats?

chelle

Hi mummies,

what type of float do you use for babies?
We use a neck float when i bought my 7 mth old baby to swim.
We kind of know the lifeguard there and he told us he feel that neck float is not good for the baby! He did not say why...

We wanted to buy those Sit-In float but the SA told us those are more suitable for babies ard 10mth old, safer as BB that age can sit by themselves.

My hubby suggest buying those Arm float which state that is for Age 0 to 2.
But it seems that i seldom see babies using Arm float, only on children.

So what float does mummies here use?

jasobias

i used the sit in kind of float for my boys when they were abt 4 months.Those r the best for young babies coz the bottom is supported n no fear of slipping out n u can see their little legs kicking like crazy..a great workout for them..hahhaha

chelle

Hi Jasobias, i think Sit-In floats are better in the sense that at least BB have something to hold on to,so they will feel more assured? Whereas Arm float they have nothing to hold on to.

My BB auto hold onto the side of the neck float when we use it on him.
When we remove the neck float, he was happily "hitting" the water with his hand!

How long do you normally let your babies swim, i only let him swim ard 15 mins coz i m afraid he will catch a cold!

potato

Hi mummies!
I brought my daughter for a swim for an hour, is it ok? She love to swim.. She is 11 months old, when she gets cold, i take her off swimming immediately.. She had a little sunburn , will it fade away soon? Next time i must use sunblock already. :)

jasobias

my kids back then we swim abt 1hr plus lah
sg weather so warm..unless u go when its raining then baby wld catch a cold
after swim can quickily shower with warm water feed warm milk baby confirm will zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

joeyz

my kids back then we swim about 1hr plus
sg weather so warm..unless you go when its raining then baby wld catch a cold
after swim can quickily shower with warm water feed warm milk baby confirm will zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
jasobias mummy,

did u bring ur kids out swimming at 4mths old to public pool? Recently i bought a ZOGGS Trainer-Seat suppose to suit from 3mth-12mths old, i was thinking if i got this sit in ring, i dun need the neck float anymore right? And if u bring ur 4mths old to pool, how long u let them play in the pool.

littlehelper

I also don't like neck float.I think its rather dangerous.Not safe also.
And dont you all think it looks uncomfortable?
Imagine hanging by your head in the water.Cannot move the head the whole time only can move body.
Also may get choked or if float not done up properly baby may slip through?Like the float float away...
I think arm float is the safest.
1.Got 1 for each arm.One float away still got one.
2.Baby can move whole body.Kinda learning how to swim and float..
3.Its the most secure no matter wat baby will still be able to float.
The sit in kind is ok but also not that secure.

littlehelper

hahah wah super strong.But in water less heavy :D
Yeah use arm float.I was quite shocked the first time i saw that swimming shop for babies using neck float..

potato

Me too.. Neck float looks uncomfy on the babies? I'll try using arm float as i don't have the strength to hold her throughout swimming! :p

jasobias

jasobias mummy,

did you bring your kids out swimming at 4mths old to public pool? Recently i bought a ZOGGS Trainer-Seat suppose to suit from 3mth-12mths old, i was thinking if i got this sit in ring, i dont need the neck float anymore right? And if you bring your 4mths old to pool, how long you let them play in the pool.
Ya we go public pools one.My boys used to love the water so we let them be for over an hr.Must use sunblock though..tonnes of it!At least it forms a barrier !

Satellite

I tried the neck float at that place in Plaza. Felt baby not so comfortable once was enough.

Let him play in the bathtub (adult size) until 8months.

Just brought baby to swimming pool last week. Held him and let him "petend swim"

I also bought arm bands and a ring float. Have not tried them both yet as felt that it might have been too much to introduce to him for the first time. Maybe next time will try the ring float. Not sure how well the arm bands will work. Never used them before. Will the baby really float just by teh arm bands? What about his head? Will it go underwater as he would be moving about alot.

Also, how frequently do you take your baby swimming. I was thinking every two weeks or every 3 weeks. Prefer every week but so much hassle for me!

meiteoh

Need help...

Eva used to be okay with the neck float but we didn't swim in her pool for a while so just now, we tried and she absolutely hated the neck float. Would not stop crying until we took it off. We realized that it was because she couldn't see and then grab toys floating in the water.

Any ideas what sort of float I can use for her at her age - she's just around 7 mths.

jasobias

Need help...

Eva used to be okay with the neck float but we didn't swim in her pool for a while so just now, we tried and she absolutely hated the neck float. Would not stop crying until we took it off. We realized that it was because she couldn't see and then grab toys floating in the water.

Any ideas what sort of float I can use for her at her age - she's just around 7 mths.
hey meiteoh
wht abt those float vests instead..u cld still hold on to her fr the back of it n she cld still stay afloat..

candy_ian

Need help...

i rem my son was like that too he has been swimming using neck float frm 6 wks old n at abt 5 months he simply refused it! now we're bringing him swimming every wkend using the sit in float but do get the one with the double ring. i think can use the sit in one once babies can support their neck.

meiteoh

Thanks for the tips and suggestions! My hubby asked me to just forget about the float and climb into the tub with her since it can fit an adult and baby. I asked the seller about this as well and he told me to just not use it for the time being and when she's slightly older, try again. He suspects that it could be because of her teething - Eva not only likes to see toys and grab them but she wants to gum on them too.

Gumi

Hi mummies
I've got a stupid question here...can i know how you shower your baby after the swim? I've been always wanted to bring dear son to public pool, but due to the above, I'm hesitating. Can any mummies please advise me? Thanks so much.

suicul

Hi mummies
I've got a stupid question here...can i know how you shower your baby after the swim? I've been always wanted to bring dear son to public pool, but due to the above, I'm hesitating. Can any mummies please advise me? Thanks so much.
hehe u are not alone cos me too am hestitating due to this reason as well cos my baby son is still having his bath in his baby bath tub.. i also need advice on the bathing issue and also do you let your baby wear diaper which is meant for swimming like what huggies is having?? i have been wanting to buy it recently but can't find it at any of the NTUC whereby i used to see it..

dear mommies, kindly advice..

Satellite

I bring my 10month old son to the public pool.

The pool is closeby but still need to take a taxi - maybe 5 min ride.

Anyway, do not bathe him there after the swim. Quickly dry him and put his shirt back on and take a taxi home to bathe him in his bathtub.

This is the best solution fo rnow as he cannot yet stand on his own and have never taken a shower.

And yes we use the huggies swimming diapers.

suicul

I bring my 10month old son to the public pool.

The pool is closeby but still need to take a taxi - maybe 5 min ride.

Anyway, do not bathe him there after the swim. Quickly dry him and put his shirt back on and take a taxi home to bathe him in his bathtub.

This is the best solution fo rnow as he cannot yet stand on his own and have never taken a shower.

And yes we use the huggies swimming diapers.
ok, thanks a lot for your advice :)