Underweright baby?

CDL

For those of you with premature babies, how long did it take for your baby to "catch up" with the growing pattern of full-term babies in terms of weight?

My baby was born at 36 weeks and she was 2.02kg at birth. She is now 4mths 3weeks and is 5.1kg, falling into the 10th percentile. Though she has improved from the 3rd percentile that she fell into at birth, I'm just wondering how long it would take for her to reach the weight of her peers.

Having said that, the PD feels that she is doing well for her age. I just wanted some assurance from other parents with premature babies.

snowbear

My DD was born at 37 weeks but also considered small (2.43kg). She caught up with e rest by the 2nd month in terms of wt (50th percentile) but has since then fallen far behind. She's 9 months old but only 7kg. I dun dare to chk what percentile growth she's at already.... haha. BUT she's very healthy n strong. Dun feel too stressed abt bb's wt. If she's reaching appropriate milestones then i think there's no cause for concern. :)

just4bubs

my bub was born at 32 wks @ 2.1kg - his's caught up with his age group for size but development he's still slower than the average. the nurses say that they'll catch up by 2 years so until then i use his adjusted age (based on his calculated due date)

autumn82

My DD was born @ 36 weeks @ 2.1kg. Within a mth, she balloned to 5kg+.. So far no prob.

My DS was born @ 37 weeks @ 2.85kg. Within a mth, he also gain up to 5kg+..

Basha

Will our little one be placed in the incubator if they are born prematurely (that is before 37th week)..? As per my last check-up, my gynae told me that even if i were to gif birth now, I've got notink to worry as my baby won't be placed in the incubator for premmies as she said that he's growing fine & well, @ 1.8kg...I'm now @ 32 weeks...

Kinda worried for my little one if i were to gif birth earlier than expected...

23mummy

my baby was born at 36 weeks and she was 1.95kg at birth.
she is now 8mths+.
she still can sit by herself...:err:
can anyone tell me,is she consider ok?
im so worried...

is she a fat bb? not to worry.. or do u always carry ur bb..
bb will sit slowly bt surely.. some bb crawl thn walk.. sm crawl, sit thn walk.. dnt worry.. take it easy..

zputriz

mummies dun worry so much.. cos we mummies tend to compare alot if our bb are premmies...

my son was born 35 wks 3 days, weighed 2.5kg at birth but apgar score 9.. n vey alert.. n he dun drink much milk, used to doze off aft 20 ml like that n very active too...

now he's 14 mth n only 8.5kg, so he falls in e low weight babies, n that's because he doesnt take much food at one shot n milk, n he play alot too.. so we must understand how is baby's lifestyle too..

what i did when baby was younger, i bought him mobile, keep him entertained, lotsa of toys to play, sing to him n let him watch tv, n my son never lacks in term of iq, infact he's very smart n alert! only thing he still cant do is walk cos still skinny n tend to fall back on his head cos can balance well, mayb his mind thinks faster than his body moves.. hehe.. i also give him appetite booster i bought from e pharmacy in order to make him eat more n it wks.. just that as much as he eats, he burns off cos he moves so much...

dun worry, babies will eventually catch up, sometimes they learn so fast frm their surrounding, or frm things we do..esp drg 1-2 yrs old when their learning is at its peak.. so stimulate them, let them learn while they are outside, let strangers talk to them, let them play with the tupperware container etcetc... n they will eventually become smart :)

zputriz

o ya, abt giving birth prematurely, if ur having high blood then likely to give birth earlier than EDD, but avoid sex in e last few wks la cos that wil trigger early labour, n u still have time to eat more n let baby gain weight..

itink as long as bb is ok, no complications and weigh 2 plus kg should not go into incubator i tink.. but most impt dun b so worried, as it will stress u out.. like me, i got so worried last time when my doc said i will b induced that i cant slp.. den the day aft my last chkup baby suddenly wan to come out.. so dun need to induce, lucky me.. but i tink reason for early labour was high blood n SI...

christi3

hi all mommy's...
i gave birth to my baby boii at 36wks, weighing 3.134kg at birth. begin in hosptial for 3days torture b4 doc asking mi to deliver.... nw gng 6mth soon. last weighing 9.595kg when he's 5mth old... but he's still vry lazy n slow,recently jus can hold his head up firming but still can't flip, dun like to be place in e walker nor sitting/lying to long... vry nasty n bad temper... my hus aunty say tat's normal for premature babies to be slow but dun noe is it true?? any feedbacks... lol

CDL

Hi Christi3, I've known a few people who were born premature and no they are definitely not slow. In fact, watching them, you would have never guessed that they were born early. They seem no different from others who were born at full term. I have met doctors, lawyers, accountants and other professionals who are not"handicaped" by theri earlier birth.

Babies do progress differently. Some crawl faster but take longer to speak. Others start to sit up even before learning to flip over. So don't put any pressure on your baby - give him lots of love and attention and watch him develop. You might also not want to refer to him as being "slow" - some terms will affect your baby as he grows up if people continue to refer to him as slow. I know of someone who was also called "slow" when she was young - she's a lawyer and married with kids now but still remembers being called "slow" -yes she still takes a while with her food, but I think it is because she enjoys what she eats and why is there a need to rush over food anyway?

As for your baby having a bad temper, this could be due to several things - is he too hot/cold, does he like where he is sitting/sleeping (some kids don't like being put into a walker or the fact that too many people are crowding around him and watching him), could he be teething, is he sleepy, is his diaper uncomfortable (too small, wet). There are many reasons why a baby acts the way he does and it could be due to something that we as parents are doing or not doing for him. Babies in general are of good nature -they smile and laugh unless there is something they want or they are not comfortable with. Try changing things (one at a time) and see if your baby respond better.

AngieY

dear mummies, would like to share that my boy was a 29th weeker premmie, was only 1.38kg when he was born. So tiny that my hubby can just carry him with one hand. He was in incubator for at least 4 wks, and was discharged from Neonatal ICU in 6 wks.

He is now a healthy 2 1/2 year old cheerful boy. He is also a little underweight, only weighing 11.8 kg. Other than that, all his growing milestones are normal.

I am always thankful and grateful that he has managed to pull thru the difficult period, so he is forever my bravest little angel. As long as bb is healthy and cheerful, that is what most important to me.

Hope my story can encourage some mummies with prem. Stay positive and happy

christi3

Hi Christi3, I've known a few people who were born premature and no they are definitely not slow. In fact, watching them, you would have never guessed that they were born early. They seem no different from others who were born at full term. I have met doctors, lawyers, accountants and other professionals who are not"handicaped" by theri earlier birth.

Babies do progress differently. Some crawl faster but take longer to speak. Others start to sit up even before learning to flip over. So don't put any pressure on your baby - give him lots of love and attention and watch him develop. You might also not want to refer to him as being "slow" - some terms will affect your baby as he grows up if people continue to refer to him as slow. I know of someone who was also called "slow" when she was young - she's a lawyer and married with kids now but still remembers being called "slow" -yes she still takes a while with her food, but I think it is because she enjoys what she eats and why is there a need to rush over food anyway?

As for your baby having a bad temper, this could be due to several things - is he too hot/cold, does he like where he is sitting/sleeping (some kids don't like being put into a walker or the fact that too many people are crowding around him and watching him), could he be teething, is he sleepy, is his diaper uncomfortable (too small, wet). There are many reasons why a baby acts the way he does and it could be due to something that we as parents are doing or not doing for him. Babies in general are of good nature -they smile and laugh unless there is something they want or they are not comfortable with. Try changing things (one at a time) and see if your baby respond better.
tks CDL.... my boi is teething tat's part 1 of e reason... another 1 mayb bcox of mi, cox i'm also quite a hot temper person, so he gotta ny temper n his daddy look... lol

july-winter

My ds was born at 36 weeks & weighed 2.4kg.

However, now he is turning 4yr old in two months time, he is weighing 13kg at the present. dunno if his weight for 4 yr old is normal or nt. the nurse considered him as a small boy, compared to other 4 yr old boys. :err:

serenelm

my ds3 was born at 37 wks at 2.88kg... for the past few mths, he was at 25th percentile... but yesterday brought him to his jab n found tat he is now 7kg, at 50th percentile... so i tink as long as they're healthy n developing well, it shld be okie...

Domique

Autumn ur milk super nutritious lor

My dear daughter was born @ 36 weeks @ 2.1kg. Within a month, she balloned to 5kg+.. So far no prob.

My dear son was born @ 37 weeks @ 2.85kg. Within a month, he also gain up to 5kg+..

DSinMummy

dear mummies, not to worry abt weight of our beloved kids.

I've got 2 girls are both are premmies, 1st at 36 weeks, 2nd at 33 weeks. Gee, i had a hard time trying to keep them in, with my gynae's help but to no avail =p

anyway, my 1st girl was both 2.72 kg, beyond our expectations cos we had anticipated her to be much lighter, maybe even below 2.5 kg.

however for my 2nd, we had anticipated her to be bigger than her jiejie cos all her scans showed her to be bigger in size. However she was borned at 2.02 kg and even had to stay in NICU for 3 weeks.

my 2nd is coming 5 mths in a couple of days. During her last jab & doc's visit @ 4 mth, she weighs 5.02 kg. I checked back, despite being borned smaller than jiejie, her weight actually caught up fast. Cos jiejie was also weighing abt 5+kg @ 4 mths.

so mummies, no worries. our smart lil premmies will grow up strong and healthy! Oh, and my concern now is, my #2 might be quite fat! :)