Unpleasant Aftertaste After Eating

sugarcookie

Hi all,

Since the start of my 2nd trimester, I've experienced an unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth after eating. It's a bit metallic and a bit sourish. This aftertaste is worse after I eat sweet stuff. I don't get this taste while eating; it occurs after eating.

Have any of you experienced this during your pregnancy?? It's driving me crazy!

CanCanMum

yes...makes me wanna puke las time....try eat dried papaya or mango....or take fresh fruits like papaya or rock melon. Or drink strawberry shake....will it help for you???? It helped for me las time...

sugarcookie

OK so at least now I know it's normal. I thought I was imagining things as this symptom doesn't seem to be discussed in the books I've read.

CanCanMum

yeah.....but it will gradually die off after u are in later part of 2nd trimester....it was most enjoyable time of my pregnancy tho...but sometimes gastric juice keeps coming up my throat (forgot wads tat term) after my meal...eeeks!!! Esp if i ate too full...hahahah...

sugarcookie

yeah.....but it will gradually die off after u are in later part of 2nd trimester....it was most enjoyable time of my pregnancy tho...but sometimes gastric juice keeps coming up my throat (forgot wads tat term) after my meal...eeeks!!! Esp if i ate too full...hahahah...
I'm 28 weeks pregnant and still having this gross taste leh...I hope it doesn't last throughout my pregnancy...:elvis:

I experience gastric juice going up through my throat too! Think it's called acid reflux. Eating is such a chore now :(

CarolOng

i have the gross taste b4 i knew i was preg. Now still experiencing it. =(

anything sweet goes into my mouth will have a bitter after taste. That's y i've stayed away from chocolate & sweets...

starting to have acid reflex also. yucky....

CanCanMum

how about sour plums? Those not too sour kind and a bit sweet and salty kind? black colour ones...i bou fr watsons las time...quite ok leh...will tone down the taste.

CarolOng

i've been eating sour plums since i knew i was preg. until the tot of it makes me want to puke also... no choice, jus hv to bear with it. hopefully it'll go away.

the oni time i won't be bother by it is during eating... maybe tat's the reason y i'm putting on weight every mth ba... =( keep eating...

trulyjava

I had these after taste at in first trimester. The last one when I suspected I am pregnant also because of these thingy and "VVala" I amm preggie. heheheh!

It comes from you bile and gastric. If you are taking fruit juice, it is best taken half to 1 hour before meal. So you could get the best benefit and absorption of the juices while empty stomach. If after food should be 1 hour but make sure the juices was not left for one hour after it was blended you won't get the nutritious value too.
Believe me if you take immediately after food you tend to regurgitate, and when the reflux upwards with your gastric juice it is horrible.
Try to change the habit and get the best of it.. :)

kathtan

I also have this feeling. Told dh and he said I over sensitive. Still don't really enjoy eating due to the fact that i will have that metallic taste. I am 17 weeks.

sugarcookie

I also have this feeling. Told dh and he said I over sensitive. Still don't really enjoy eating due to the fact that i will have that metallic taste. I am 17 weeks.
My husband thinks I'm overly sensitive too! The worst thing is that I crave for sweet stuff like cakes and chocolate but the horrible aftertaste just puts me off eating them...I guess in a way it is a good thing so I don't put on too much weight :err:

Satellite

Me too. I have this horrible aftertaste too! It started from week 10. I did not puke or anything but the aftertaste was most intense then.

Eating either of oranges, grapes, strawberries and pineapple immediately after eating a meal helps. But I'm so sick of fruits.

I can't eat chocolates or other sweet things as the aftertaste will be worse! It's a shame becuase I love chocolates!

It also looks like it will last throughout my pregnancy because I am already 25 weeks and while people keep telling me that it will go off in the 2nd trimester, it has not! Can't wait for the baby to arrive so that I can be normal again!

Last edited:

sugarcookie

Me too. I have this horrible aftertaste too! It started from week 10. I did not puke or anything but the aftertaste was most intense then.

Eating either of oranges, grapes, strawberries and pineapple immediately after eating a meal helps. But I'm so sick of fruits.

I can't eat chocolates or other sweet things as the aftertaste will be worse! It's a shame becuase I love chocolates!

It also looks like it will last throughout my pregnancy because I am already 25 weeks and while people keep telling me that it will go off in the 2nd trimester, it has not! Can't wait for the baby to arrive so that I can be normal again!
I'm just like you Satellite! I love chocolates but I'm avoiding them now because of the gross aftertaste.

I'm 28 weeks and the aftertaste is still there... I think it is going to last throughout my pregnancy :elvis:

veronica

Hmm...I started to have this recently. Yucks.

The eating process was ok...could still enjoy the taste and smell of the food. After that, the taste is bland and yucky.

I don't remember I had that when I had my #1....oh dear...how long its going to last?