Unrine Tract Infection (UTI) in Babies

wiwizz

Hi All,

Anyone encountered UTI with your baby?

My son had UTI at 6 months (last Nov). Was given anti-biotics to complete and after going for ultrasound yesterday we found out he has bladder reflux. He needs to go for another test called VCUG where a catheter will be inserted to fill up his bladder with dye and see how the bladder works ... i think.

For those who has gone through this phase with your babies please share some info with me...thanks!

Last edited:

Domique

its a normal procedure to go through, both ultra scan and the other test to check on the reflux if your bb have uti.

ur bb will be asked to drink a solution and he will knock out.
its painful to watch but good to check...

will be ok once he wakie...

no worries!

Hi All,

My son had UTI at 6 months (last Nov). Was given anti-biotics to complete and after going for ultrasound yesterday we found out he has bladder reflux. He needs to go for another test called VCUG where a catheter will be inserted to fill up his bladder with dye and see how the bladder works ... i think.

For those who has gone through this phrase with your babies please share some info with me...thanks!

Domique

its a normal procedure to go through, both ultra scan and the other test to check on the reflux if your baby have uti.

your baby will be asked to drink a solution and he will knock out.

no worries!

Hi All,

For those who has gone through this phrase with your babies please share some info with me...thanks!

wiwizz

its a normal procedure to go through, both ultra scan and the other test to check on the reflux if your baby have uti.

your baby will be asked to drink a solution and he will knock out.

no worries!
Hi Domique,

This will be done in KKH and I was told by the doc that my son will be conscious when the test is done. Did you choose for your baby to drinking the solution or it was given without asking?

chelle

My boy got UTI at 1 mth old! I was so worried that time!
We did it at Mt E, but he was not sedated at ALL. We did 3 tests in total.
Ultrasound & VCGU was done first.
Then the 3rd test which i think is call "M" something, a drip have to be insert onto his arm. They will then pump some liquid thru the drip and we told to come back in 2 or 3 hours time.
The nurse told us to TRY to delay his milk feed till the time to come back, so he will hopefully sleep by then as the last test required baby to be still.
My boy was sleeping but wake up the moment we put him on the machine to do the test, my hubby held his little hands and luckily he keep still during the 20 mins test!

wiwizz

My boy got UTI at 1 month old! I was so worried that time!
We did it at Mt E, but he was not sedated at ALL. We did 3 tests in total.
Ultrasound & VCGU was done first.
Then the 3rd test which i think is call "M" something, a drip have to be insert onto his arm. They will then pump some liquid thru the drip and we told to come back in 2 or 3 hours time.
The nurse told us to TRY to delay his milk feed till the time to come back, so he will hopefully sleep by then as the last test required baby to be still.
My boy was sleeping but wake up the moment we put him on the machine to do the test, my hubby held his little hands and luckily he keep still during the 20 mins test!

Oh dear! at 1 month! you must be a strong mummy!
Since he was not sedated, did he cry and was it a painful procedure?
How old is your son now and how did he recover? still on antibiotics?

chelle

Oh dear! at 1 month! you must be a strong mummy!
Since he was not sedated, did he cry and was it a painful procedure?
How old is your son now and how did he recover? still on antibiotics?
Ya, at 1 mth, on the very next day that my confinement lady left and he had a fever! Brought him to PD immediately, cried the moment PD say must admit hospital. Cried even harder when i see him on drip and in hospital for 5 days!
Even my mum cried when she visit him at the hospital!

The follow-up tests can only be done after UTI is cleared, abt a mth later.
The doctors who did those tests said sometime babies cry not because is painful, is because they are sensitive.
Among the 3 tests, my boy cried the most for the most painless test, the ultrascan, like what we always did when we were preggy.
I guess the equip used was cold, so he was crying thoughout!
We were worried abt the inserting of drip, but he did not cried at all! Even the doctor say he did well!
But the silly nurse was very rough when she remove the drip after the last test, alot of blood spurt out, even stain my hubby clothing n baby clothing.
I guess that was painful coz my baby was screaming at the top of his lungs and keep staring at the nurse!
But luckily all the tests show that the infection was a one-off thing, not due to reflux!

wiwizz

Ya, at 1 month, on the very next day that my confinement lady left and he had a fever! Brought him to pediatrician immediately, cried the moment pediatrician say must admit hospital. Cried even harder when i see him on drip and in hospital for 5 days!
Even my mum cried when she visit him at the hospital!

The follow-up tests can only be done after UTI is cleared, about a month later.
The doctors who did those tests said sometime babies cry not because is painful, is because they are sensitive.
Among the 3 tests, my boy cried the most for the most painless test, the ultrascan, like what we always did when we were preggy.
I guess the equip used was cold, so he was crying thoughout!
We were worried about the inserting of drip, but he did not cried at all! Even the doctor say he did well!
But the silly nurse was very rough when she remove the drip after the last test, alot of blood spurt out, even stain my hubby clothing n baby clothing.
I guess that was painful coz my baby was screaming at the top of his lungs and keep staring at the nurse!
But luckily all the tests show that the infection was a one-off thing, not due to reflux!

Salute Chelle!

I just came back from the catheter test. My baby was crying so hard and I almost cried too. It was indeed a sad thing to see what the doctor was doing to your baby.

I am now wondering if the cause of UTI could be because of his foreskin.

To anyone out there...at what month/year can the foreskin loosen up and able to fall back on it's own?

chelle

I ask my PD that time, she say is difficult to say exact reason for boys.
Might be the poo come into contact with the penis OR diapers soak etc.
For girls, is normally the cleaning the wrong way.
She just told me not too worry too much and just to change diapers more often!

wiwizz

I ask my pediatrician that time, she say is difficult to say exact reason for boys.
Might be the poo come into contact with the penis OR diapers soak etc.
For girls, is normally the cleaning the wrong way.
She just told me not too worry too much and just to change diapers more often!
Yeap ...

We changed his diapers like every hour or even 45 mins... we made sure that he pee once and change immediately.

Thanks a lot Chelle for sharing. I hope my son will not have to go through anymore test.

Domique

Never ley... they just give....

the test name is MCU and was told that it was to test the reflux of his urinary tract. Ultrascan of kidneys was awake.

Sorry wrong test name....

MCU and ultrasound scanning was the 2 common test after contracting UTI.

Hi Domique,

This will be done in Kandang Kerbau Hospital and I was told by the doc that my son will be conscious when the test is done. Did you choose for your baby to drinking the solution or it was given without asking?

Domique

my PD did mention that my son's foreskin was tight then... maybe we didn't pull back the skin and clean the "head" thus bacteria infection.

:)

Salute Chelle!

I just came back from the catheter test. My baby was crying so hard and I almost cried too. It was indeed a sad thing to see what the doctor was doing to your baby.

I am now wondering if the cause of UTI could be because of his foreskin.

To anyone out there...at what month/year can the foreskin loosen up and able to fall back on it's own?

wiwizz

my pediatrician did mention that my son's foreskin was tight then... maybe we didn't pull back the skin and clean the "head" thus bacteria infection.

:)
Yes same case. Doc told me that my son's was to tight too. At 7 mths at least can see the head a bit if push slightly back. He had a hard time inserting the tube too.

At what age did your son get UTI and how was his recovery? I intend to get him circumcise by this week.

Domique

he was about going 6 mths...
no intention to circumcise him as he is ok already...

see below link for more infor: my poor baby....
Sam & Dom - Our New Chapter Begins......: Alaric @RESORT Mt Elizabeth Hospital

Yes same case. Doc told me that my son's was to tight too. At 7 mths at least can see the head a bit if push slightly back. He had a hard time inserting the tube too.

At what age did your son get UTI and how was his recovery? I intend to get him circumcise by this week.

Last edited:

Domique

too much to type... the post is not even completed...
very heartpain when doc have to put the needle to find his vein... poke poke his arm many times to find it....
that was the most horrible thing a child gotta go through.... at least for mine.

Domique,

your baby so cute :)

glad that your son is ok now. cant take it when babies have to go thru this painful tests .... thanks for the link. your write-up is very useful.

A_LIM

Domique,

your baby so cute :)

glad that your son is ok now. cant take it when babies have to go thru this painful tests .... thanks for the link. your write-up is very useful.
WiWizz, we had the same thing happen to our son. Before he was 5 years he had suffered from 3 UTI infections. We had him circumcised and after that he never had another problem. My second son I had circumcised at birth, and he never had a problem thankfully. You should check out the do I circumcise my boy thread on this site has lots of useful info.

wiwizz

WiWizz, we had the same thing happen to our son. Before he was 5 years he had suffered from 3 UTI infections. We had him circumcised and after that he never had another problem. My second son I had circumcised at birth, and he never had a problem thankfully. You should check out the do I circumcise my boy thread on this site has lots of useful info.
Hi A Lim,

I posted something on that thread too.

I just came back from Cresent clinic at Eunos to circumcise my boy. Paid $100 and i think it was worth it. He cried out loud for 5-7mins and came out just fine after looking at us.

While waiting, I met a mummy sending her boy for the follow-up check. He is 5 months and had UTI also. But she was lucky because she circumcised him the minute he had high fever and no more traces of UTI after 1 wk.

I hope by doing this my son will recover soon. Will update this thread for sure.