Veg for babies

annie

Hi all, care to share wat veg u all give your bb together with their porridge? recently i feel like there are not much veg to give leh.. dunno y.. or those veg not much taste one so it seems like add into porridge also not tasty? lol. i always give my girl pumpkin, spinach, carrots, raddish, brocoli, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower etc. but then it seems like among all these mentioned, only pumpkin, brocoli, carrots and cherry tomatoes makes the porridge taste nicer? the rest is like not much taste? any ideas to make the porridge taste better with any veg? my girl dosent seem to like her porridge cooked in stock thus i can only make use of veg to make her porridge taste nicer...

shulyn

Hi all, care to share what veg you all give your baby together with their porridge? recently i feel like there are not much veg to give .. dont know why.. or those veg not much taste one so it seems like add into porridge also not tasty? lol. i always give my girl pumpkin, spinach, carrots, raddish, brocoli, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower etc. but then it seems like among all these mentioned, only pumpkin, brocoli, carrots and cherry tomatoes makes the porridge taste nicer? the rest is like not much taste? any ideas to make the porridge taste better with any veg? my girl dosent seem to like her porridge cooked in stock thus i can only make use of veg to make her porridge taste nicer...
Hi Annie,

i started to make stock for my boy lately and the porridge taste so sweet and nice, even i myself keep praising yummy...Its stock make from veggie.

Ingredients: One pearl sweet corn, lotus roots, 2-3 red peel apples

I will put all those in a slow cooker and slow cook for at least 3 hours...Once cooled, i will put in a air tight container and store in freezer, as and when i need, i will just take up and defrost...

The veggie stock will cook together with porridge, i will add lean meat or chicken to cook. As for veggie, i will steam and puree, separate serve or mix with the porridge...

diymummy

I use sweet potato and potato in my boy's porridge too. He loves those starchy vege coz I think it's somewhat sweeter. One of my colleagues used yam too.

I've tried doing sweet peas but they're a chore to prepare. Must remove the husks before steaming and if you don't, then after pureeing, need to push the puree through a sieve to remove the husks. I do until my hand got blister... -.-"

annie

sweet peas is green peas? at their age dun need to puree ma. i think can give them whole?

diymummy

Yeah green peas are sweet peas. I bought the frozen ones from supermarket.

My boy still don't know how to chew.. I tried giving him teething rusks but he throws them away.. So I still have to puree the peas... Anyway I've only made one batch and gave up... Hahaha.. I will wait for him to be able to chew before trying again.

annie

yeah so far ive only pureed the peas once n i gave up too lol. too tedious.. but then here difficult to find green peas dunno y.. i tried looking for both fresh ones n frozen ones also cannot find.. there is only those frozen ones that comes with carrots n corn.. dun have purely peas ones... think i shall buy those with carrots n corn next time.

my girl dosent like sweet stock dunno y. ive tried making veggie stock n add a bit of apple water(the water left over from steaming the apples) n she ate only a few mouth n reject the porridge! so far she seems to prefer her porridge cook in simply plain water... but then since it taste bland, i try to put in some sweeter veggie so it taste better but then it seems like most veggie not sweet? like very limited choice...so far i can only think of sweet potato, carrot, squash/pumpkin, cherry tomatoes..brocoli also ok... but then most green veg seems like tasteless? sometimes i feel her porridge taste so bland n yucky lol

diymummy

LOL!!! Her porridge bland but she likes it can liao.. Plus it's good she doesn't have sweet tooth so her diet will continue to be healthy as she grows ;)

My boy opposite.. No taste he don't want.

But your girl is ok with fruits right? Just that if it is mixed into consistent form in porridge/cereal she doesn't eat.

I think at www.wholesomebabyfood.com has a list of vege and fruits that you can try for babies. I take some of my references from there.

annie

yeah i always refer to that site as well n ive almost tried all the named veg n fruits there! lol.

yah she takes fruits but i either mix into her breakfast cereal or give her as her snack (mix with yogurt n blend into a drink) or simply give her some fruits mix together n feed her via spoon. she takes quite alot of fruits in a day so in her porridge i will mix in veg.. its bland n she takes to it but then i thought its a bit ke lian la whahahaha. so i wnana give her more tasty porridge...like sometimes i thought if i cook her porridge with simply egg, meat n a green veg then it will be rather tasteless isnt it? since all 3 items are not very strong in taste...

diymummy

LOL.. How abt fish? Fish should be quite tasty... And I remember in one thread someone used beef...

Also in one thread I also read that someone used Asparagus??? Or wolfberries are pretty tasty too... :) I go find