Very Good Piano Teacher in Sembawang/ Yishun/ Woodlands

jannalin

Had edited this recommendation post and Not recommending this teacher anymore after went through one round of exam. It started well but ended badly as it's too exam focus which will make my kids lose interest in music

Last edited:

CHLING23

Hi Jannalin,
Thanks for sharing your experience with the piano teacher. Since the post was posted almost 4 years back, please ignore my inquiry if it is no longer valid.
I'm looking for a good piano teacher in Sembawang area to teach my 5.5 yrs old girl. Is the piano teacher that you mentioned in this post still teaching your kids? Can I contact her (Agnes) with the same mobile number? Thanks in advance.
I had engaged a new piano teacher - Agnes for my kids last month. She's the 4th piano teacher for both my kids. All along, I'd based on the first teacher's assessment that my girl (10 yrs old) is in piano grade 4 and my boy (6 yrs old) is heading grade 1. I opted for a combination of exam cum 'play for fun' piano pieces but realised that the previous teachers focus much more on 'play for fun' piano teaching and teach them according to the piano level i.e grade 4 and 1 based on what I told them. However, was not comfortable with the teaching style of 2nd and 3rd teacher as there's not much feedback and my kids seem to be heading without direction even though I know they are quite musically incline.

I was so glad that I had engaged Teacher Agnes as the moment she assess my kids, I was surprised to learnt that my girl can be prepared for Grade 6 and my boy Grade 2. My girl's theory is much lack of guidance by previous teachers and if she would have progress to a much higher grade and better techniques if taught well. I was impressed by her truthfulness and Agnes gave me a lot of information on piano direction for children.

Agnes played pieces very well and is interactive and feedback to me the first few sessions on pointers to guide my kids. She even showed me the different playing techniques that will produce different piano 'feel'. I love teacher who gives feedback coz then I know how to help my kids improve. She is the only one who fully utilize the metrometer. At times, she used her own tape recording to let my kids hear their playing. I was very impress by such effort.

Today, I heard her explaining to my boy the story of an exam piece, for him to understand on expression when playing. My boy was fascinated and this is the type of teacher I've been looking for as all these were never heard of from the previous teachers. Usually they will just tell me ok or need to practise more.

I believe my kids will excel under Agnes guidance as she is indeed dedicated, experience and communicate with parent. After experiencing 4 teachers, I have a good idea of what makes a good piano teacher. Would highly recommend Agnes.

Below are her profile (I copied this from her 'advertisement'):-
Agnes - 90252089
Abrsm Diploma in teaching n performance
12 years teaching experienced.
Able travel to your house for the lesson.
Had taught many grade8 students graduate
Trial lesson welcome

jannalin

Hi,

I would not recommend this teacher anymore after trying for a year plus and one round of exam. It all started well and I thought she was good until nearing grade 6 exam, my girl was very stressed by her even though ample time was given which it also happened to other students. Learning music should not be this way. I stopped immediately after the exam was over and engaged an ex-Yamaha Electone masterclass whom we knew who teaches piano and electone. My girl is going for Grade 7 in Sep and she's well prepared, learnt with zero stress and enjoying music. My boy is heading grade 4 in July and both progress very well under the current teacher. But his schedule is full.

Wonderwhy

Had edited this recommendation post and Not recommending this teacher anymore after went through one round of exam. It started well but ended badly as it's too exam focus which will make my kids lose interest in music

Hi, I need a piano teacher near sembawang..can you msg me her number? 94369313

yernying

Hi Jann,

I am teacher Agnes.I have been teaching piano for 17 years.This is my first time found parent feedback like this to me.You may direct to tell me what I had done.

I traced back your record.You engaged my service on Sept of 2012,your children were in beginner and grade 3 if I were not wrong.Your children passed the gd2 exam with merit and grade 6 in high passed on Feb of 2014.This period you only stop for 3 months.

I encouraged them to take grade 2 and grade 6 exam because I found that they had a positive learning attitude .Of course you agreed with my suggestion else you wont paid for the exam fees.When exam had just round the corner,I believed most of the students get stress.After the exam,I planned to start them some leisure pieces but you stopped the lesson with the reason that you prefered their electone teacher.

Until last year April, you called me regarding your older child want to register for gd 7 exam. I was not able to recall you immediately and perhaps infuriated you.So that you edited this thread in last year May.

gniyy

Hi,
I am a piano teacher with teaching experience of 10 years, qualified with ABRSM Grade 8 in Theory and DipABRSM in Teaching. I have taught students ranging from kids aged 4 to retiree past 60. 100% pass rate for both theory and practical exams. I travel to learners’ place at west, north and central area.

You may direct enquiries to my inbox leongpypiano@gmail.com