Walking 5km during 2nd trimester

Rzena

Hi...need some advice. I signed up for a 5km run which will take place in July before I found out I was pregnant. Just tested positive last week so I'll be around week 15-16 around the 'race day'. Obviously I won't be running, but is it safe for me to walk that 5km?

chweewy

Nope. U shd rest more in ur delicate situation. Too much walking induce contraction and this is what I learnt in my antenatal class, moreover u may encounter pple pushing against u to get pass..take care!

Qookie

I signed up for Standard Charted 5km fun run in 2011. But i decided not to go, as i was also pregnant then. Rather not risk it.

octkid

My doctor advised me to reduce walking as much as possible and the nurse said try to move slowly after I had contraction and spotting about 2 weeks ago.

So its better not to go for the walk.

maybe you just go there to collect the goodie bag and go home rest..
better not walk too much during pregnancy in one go....

Rzena

Ok thanks for all the advice mummies... I will just go there and walk a little bit. Won't complete the whole 5km....

pocus2000

Ok thanks for all the advice mummies... I will just go there and walk a little bit. Won't complete the whole 5km....
You are pregnant.
You can participate this event anything after the birth of your child.

Why take such risk?

At the meantime, pls refrain from such activities and prevent your week 15/16 tummy from exposure to such physical stress and such crowd.

skt

I actually signed up for Safari Zoo Run run before I found out I was pregnant. But I still went for the event, just that instead of run, my husband walked with me. We were thinking in anycase I am tired, I would just stopped, but turned out everything was okay. Just that right after the event, we went home and rest immediately.

It is good to do a little walking, be it on land or in water, it helps to ease abit during the labour. Just don't exert too much strength and tiredness on yourself.

U can juz go n walk, n stop wen u feel tired. I assume u have been actively running b4 getting pregnant? Coz if not, u wldnt have signed up for the 5km run hehe.. If yes, ur body is already accustomed to the exercise so walking isnt a problem.. Actually, itz gd for u to continue walking throughout ur pregnancy; a friend of mine did that throughout all 4 pregnancies n she had fast n easy labours.. I am now doing the same thing, walking at least thrice a week.. Didnt manage to do it for the first 2 pregnancies as i had hyperemesis gravidarum, but this 3rd one i am healthier..