Weaning Breastmilk

blummy

Dear mummies,

I am still breastfeeding my little girl, latching her before I go to work, and when I'm home. Other times throughout the day she will be drinking ebm. Breastfeeding is not the easiest thing - engorgement, terrible and painful lumps, finding time during office hours to pump, lack of sleep, tireness.. the list goes one. Despite this, I am thoroughly enjoying the journey as I know this is the starting of all the wonderful things I can give my baby.

As she approaches her 6th month, I am feel with heaps of joy, happiness, anticipation yet with a degree of hesitation. I don't intend to continue waking up in the middle of the night to pump and am hoping to cut down the pumping intervals from 4 hrs to maybe 6hrs? At least I know she is still drinking bm. Is that do-able? How do I go about doing it such that it does not hurt my supply? Hope to do this to 8 months or so.

Also, when does your period return? I am hoping to have a second baby next year. Do I have to stop bfing completely for my period to resume?

Tks,
Blummy

I am also a working mum and have bf my son for nearly 14 months.

I also went through this phase whereby I was really tired and wanted to give up. However, I realise that as my baby gets older, I can just extend the time interval that I express my milk. In fact, I can do it with 8 hrs intervals, expressing once at work and once when I reach home.

I als don't wake up in the middle of the night as it really tires me out.

Do hang on if you can. :D

diza

notabigdeal is right. My boy is 6 mth plus and he is still on BF. As he gets older, his feeding timing is stretched, especially after introducing to semi-solids. He does cry for milk at night but since he sleeps beside me, I just latch him while lying down and continue to sleep. Now I can go on without expressing for up to 8 hrs too. By now, my supply is on par to baby's demand. I only pump twice or thrice during weekdays. I'm a working mum by the way and I still have worksheets to mark, lessons to plan when I reach home. Its very tiring but i guess nursing is one way to force me to stop doing my work! haha.. Just hang in there. BF ur daughter as long as u can, while stock lasts. =P

How much do u pump out in a day with 8hrs interval? My girl is 5mths now and I have also gradually reduced to pumping twice a day and latching once but find my milk supply reduced drastically. Now I only manage to pump 160ml. So I wonder if I should stop bf totally soon since it's only enough for 1 feed.

My supply used to be really good. For every hour that I did not pump, I can pump 50ml.

But of course, now I count myself lucky if I can get 240ml after 8 hours. I stored a lot of milk in the chest freezer during my maternity and school holidays to make up for the shortfall.

Another option is that I replace one of his milk session with yogurt. But can only do that after the baby turns one.

And yes l'm a teacher too with crazy timetable. I do envy those working in a regular office! Can pump at the same time everyday.

if the pumping hours are stretched too long, milk supply will reduce over time. it will not reduce inmediately, but u will see less and less milk.

do not stretch out too long if u have moderate milk supply unless you have enough in freezer to tide u through "low times".

baby will grow and appetitie will increase gradually, if you want to maintain a good supply, please work out a schedule good for both baby and yrself:)

I was just thinking of combining 2 pumps into one because recently I find that the amount of milk is the same. When I pump once a day, I get 160ml. If I pump twice, first pump get 60ml and second pump I get 100ml...

blummy

Actually I m planning for the second one. k I assume I hv to stop bf before I can get my period back?

sometimes, changing the nursing frequency/pattern might bring back fertility. maybe u can try adjusting to what you suggested 4hrs to 6hrs.

lyra

I was still Breastfeeding baby when I got my period back. He's abt 13 month old when my period started. When bb starts to drink less milk n eat more solids, I guess our body will start to ovulate.