What are the benefits of breastfeeding ?

CynCyn

Im intending to total bf bb but would also like to know the benefits of bfeeding ?
I understand its good for the child but how so ?

LoVeS

Frm wat i knw is tat the bb will haf stronger immune system as breastmilk content alot of nutrients tat bb needed. Bond the mother and bb too~

I aso tot of total breast feed but when total breastfeed alot of foods cannot eat leh~ like raw foods lah n even taking meds aso haf to b careful as it will pass to the breastmilk bb drink~

Amulet

Frm wat i knw is tat the bb will haf stronger immune system as breastmilk content alot of nutrients tat bb needed. Bond the mother and bb too~

I aso tot of total breast feed but when total breastfeed alot of foods cannot eat leh~ like raw foods lah n even taking meds aso haf to b careful as it will pass to the breastmilk bb drink~
no la.. nothing much to avoid during breastfeeding la.. alcohol, excessive coffee, maybe cabbage n broccoli(coz it makes some babies gassy), medication(gotta make sure its breastfeeding safe)
i found one of the thread on mom started on asking wat food to avoid during breastfeeding: http://idobaby.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19756

Here's a list of medication which are breastfeeding friendly: kellymom.com :: Medications
otherwise, juz let doc knows you are breastfeeding n doc will give you meds tat are safe..

overall, juz make sure its 3 balanced meal can liao..

Amulet

ok.. CynCyn, i have a super whole list of benefits of breastfeeding..

1. Breastmilk adapts to a toddler's developing system, providing exactly the right amount of nutrition at exactly the right time.
2. A study at the University of Wisconsin found that adult women who were breast fed in infancy may have a lower risk of developing breast cancer than their non breast-fed counterparts.
3. Infants exclusively breastfed have less chance of developing diabetes mellitus type 1 than peers with a shorter duration of breastfeeding and an earlier exposure to cow milk and solid foods.
4. Breastfeeding protects infants against diarrhea as compared to formula-fed peers
5. Breastmilk include several anti-infective factors such as bile salt stimulated lipase (protecting against amoebic infections), lactoferrin (which binds to iron and inhibits the growth of intestinal bacteria)and immunoglobulin A protecting against microorganisms.
6. Babies with a specific variant of the FADS2 gene (approximately 90% of all babies) demonstrate an IQ an average of 7 points higher if breastfed.
7. Necrotizing enterocolitis (NC), found mainly in premature births, is six to ten times more common in infants fed formula exclusively, and three times more common in infants fed a mixture of breast milk and formula, as compared to exclusive breastfeeding. In infants born at more than 30 weeks, NC was twenty times more common in infants fed exclusively on formula.
8. Breast milk contains the ideal ratio of the amino acids cystine, methionine, and taurine to support development of the central and peripheral nervous system.
9. Breastfeeding appears to reduce the risk of extreme obesity in children aged 39 to 42 months.
10. Breastfeeding appears to reduce symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections in premature infants up to seven months after release from hospital.
11. Breastfed babies have improved arousal from sleep, which may reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome.
12. Breastfeeding reduced the risk of acquiring urinary tract infections in infants up to seven months post-partum.
13. Breastfeeding is a cost effective way of feeding an infant, and provides the best nourishment for a child at a small nutrient cost to the mother.
14. Breastfeeding mothers have less risk of endometrial, breast and ovarian cancer, and osteoporosis.
15. Mothers who breastfeed longer than eight months also benefit from bone re-mineralisation and breastfeeding diabetic mothers require less insulin.
16. Women who breast feed for longer have a smaller chance of getting rheumatoid arthritis
17. The hormones released during breastfeeding strengthen the maternal bond.
18. Breastfeeding releases the hormones oxytocin and prolactin which relax the mother and make her feel more nurturing toward her baby.
19. Helps the mother's body return to its pre-pregnancy state faster - promotes weight loss...1/2 of calories needed to manufacture milk is pulled from fat stores... can burn from 500 - 1,500 calories per day.
20. The WHO recommends two years of breastfeeding and exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life.
21. Reduced risk of chronic constipation, colic, and other stomach upsets in babies.
22. Protection against ear infections, respiratory illnesses, pneumonia, bronchitis, kidney infections, septicemia (blood poisoning)
23. The colostrum (first milk) coats the GI tract, preventing harmful bacteria and allergy -triggering protein molecules from crossing into baby's blood
24. There are factors in human milk that destroy E coli, salmonella, shigella, streptococcus, pneumococcus....and many others
25. Breastmilk is free- reducing or eliminating the cost of formula (in the thousands of dollars/per year)
26. Breastfed babies are sick less thus reducing healthcare costs to family in Doctor office visits, prescriptions, over the counter medicine purchases, and hospitalizations
27. Breastfeeding is more convenient, when traveling, all you need is to take diapers, the milk is always available, sterile, and the right temperature.
28. During times of disaster, you don't have to worry about finding formula.
29. The satisfaction of knowing you are giving your baby the best start in life
30. Breastmilk taste great! Sweet tasting! Variations in taste according to foods moms eats.
31. Breast milk is more digestible than formula
32. Milk produced by women who deliver prematurely differs from that produced after a full-term pregnancy. Specifically, during the first month after parturition, pre-term milk maintains a composition similar to that of colostrum
33. Breastfed babies have fewer allergies than artificially fed babies. This is especially important if your family has a history of allergies. Many babies are allergic to cow's milk formulas. Some babies are even allergic to soy formulas.
34. Babies who were breast fed for at least one month had a 21% less chance of getting leukemia than formula fed babies. The risk was 30% for children breast fed for 6 months.
35. A mother's milk composition changes from feeding to feeding depending on the needs of her child.
36. Mother's milk contains chemicals that seem to work like "knock-out drops" for tired babies. Even if baby doesn't fall asleep, he/she will certainly calm down and become more agreeable.
37. Breast milk actually contains chemicals that suppress pain (endorphins). Aside from this, the comfort a baby derives from being held close and suckling is remarkable.
38. Many a bruise or scrape has been soothed away almost instantly by a few moments of nursing.
39. If you choose to have your child vaccinated, it is a good idea to nurse immediately after he/she receives a vaccination.
40. Fresh breast milk is never contaminated with bacteria; in fact, it has antibacterial properties.
41. Many breastfeeding moms do not begin to menstruate again until 14 or more months after giving birth. That means for 14 months, many nursing moms don't have to buy tampons, sanitary napkins, and cramp relief medication
42. There is nothing more amazing than looking at a plump six month old baby and knowing that the only nutrition this happy little creature has received has come from your own body.
43. Breast milk contains natural antibiotic qualities, and many mothers swear that a squirt in the irritated eye of their baby has cleared up the problem in short order.
44. There is no formula that can duplicate human milk because, as the FDA recognized in a recent statement "...the exact chemical makeup of breast milk is still unknown."
45. There are more than 100 different kinds of components in breastmilk that is not duplicable in formula milk.

the list could go on n on.. but i guess thats enough la.. :wong29:

CynCyn

Thanks LoVes and Amulet .

The list is certainly very informative .
I don't eat raw food but every morning have to drink a cup of coffee is it alright for breastfeeding ?

Last edited:

whinypooh

Amulet!!! :wong19:

The benefits of bfing is endless. But to be very very frank. It will be a tiring process. But I enjoyed it very very much.

The bond tat I have with my DS is very strong. Even when I came back from an overseas trip, he recognised me after seeing my breasts.

And of cos the nutrients tat he gets from bm.

CynCyn

May I ask if breastfeeding what is the feeding intervals like ? Every 1 hour feed 1 time or ?

Amulet

Thanks LoVes and Amulet .

The list is certainly very informative .
I don't eat raw food but every morning have to drink a cup of coffee is it alright for breastfeeding ?
can eat raw food de..
coffee is ok as long as its kept w/in the limit.. but have to depends.. some babies are sensitive to coffee.. so whn mummy drink coffee, thn baby becomes veery active n restless.. haha.. some babies like that.. most don't la..

Amulet

Amulet!!! :wong19:

The benefits of bfing is endless. But to be very very frank. It will be a tiring process. But I enjoyed it very very much.

The bond tat I have with my DS is very strong. Even when I came back from an overseas trip, he recognised me after seeing my breasts.

And of cos the nutrients tat he gets from bm.
wah~~ see you here..

haha.. i cannot tahan but burst out laughing whn i read that lo.. :we2biglaugh:

Amulet

May I ask if breastfeeding what is the feeding intervals like ? Every 1 hour feed 1 time or ?
normally its 2 hrly.. but if baby is young, it could be even shorter.. don be mistaken tat u don have enough milk for baby or wat.. its becoz baby's stomach is very small at birth.. so they can only drink alittle.. n breastmilk gets processed away very quickly.. thus baby gets hungry faster.. :D

most breastfeedin moms practice feed on demand.. that wat i did also.. anytime baby wan, i juz let her drink.. but usually she ask for milk 2 hrly la..

whinypooh

Used to feed my DS every 45-60mins when I was still on ML. Then slowly dragged longer. Breastfed babies tend to have shorter interval cos BM is easily digested. And like wat Amulet said, babies' stomach are small so they drink little, digest fast then hungry again.

After going back to work, he's drinking about every 3hrly.
:wong4:

nahh... as all the benefits already stated by Amulet and the rest, so i just add 1 more.
benefits of breastfeeding is save a lot $$$, coz no need to buy formula milk... :D