what cheese to give a 10mth old?

Hi all mummies for those of you who have given cheese to your babies b4 may i ask what brand or what kind o cheese shld i get for my 10mths old baby base on your experience? She is currently on 2 meals a day. lunch will be HT brown rice cereal with veg like boccoli or pumpkin n potato etc. mid pm will be apple or youghurt then dinner will b more substantial porriage with meat , carrots ,fish etc. I was advise by pd that she shld perferbly strike a balance of food base on e food pyramid. i hve yet to give her e class o food such as cheeese except for yoghurt therefore e above quiry.

May i also know how to make a meal with cheese ? can i serve cheese alone???? or can i make a blend o cheese, potato,carrots etc as a meal???? how do i so call cook cheese???? can i combine cheese w HT cereal add formulae????

TIA ............

apollo

Hi all mummies for those of you who have given cheese to your babies before may i ask what brand or what kind o cheese shld i get for my 10mths old baby base on your experience? She is currently on 2 meals a day. lunch will be HT brown rice cereal with veg like boccoli or pumpkin n potato etc. mid pm will be apple or youghurt then dinner will b more substantial porriage with meat , carrots ,fish etc. I was advise by pediatrician that she shld perferbly strike a balance of food base on e food pyramid. i hve yet to give her e class o food such as cheeese except for yoghurt therefore e above quiry.

May i also know how to make a meal with cheese ? can i serve cheese alone???? or can i make a blend o cheese, potato,carrots etc as a meal???? how do i so call cook cheese???? can i combine cheese w HT cereal add formulae????

TIA ............
so far i only give ds cheddar cheese.. i forgot the brand 1 bought alrdy but usually i will buy those shredded chedder cheese or those big cubes chedder cheese and go bk shred the cheese on my own.

for cheese, i will either serve with bread (heat in oven for ard30sec for cheese to melt), or throw it into porridge. but if u serv with porridge, have to put the cheese slowly and keep stirring until the cheese fully melt if not it will become 1 whole lump.

i think it's abit diffi to serve cheese with cereal cos u cant 'heat' up cereal. and if u haven intro bread to ur bb, then i think u can add into porridge. trust me, it smell and taste great! =)

oic thks apollo mummy. Hmmm i give daugther e usu white bread ( gardinia )that we eat . sometimes when i,m eating bread in e am she will look @ me like she is asking me to give her some usu i will just pinch small pieces of white from e centre n give it to her n she loves it cse she keeps munching away is it ok ???? i mean bread is kind o sweet rite ??? so i,m always end up w a bread with a hole in the centre hahahahha.......u also mention serve cheese with bread erm hw do i serve it??? cut small slices o cheese melt it in e oven n spread on bread ?????

thks

apollo

oic thks apollo mummy. Hmmm i give daugther e usu white bread ( gardinia )that we eat . sometimes when i,m eating bread in e am she will look @ me like she is asking me to give her some usu i will just pinch small pieces of white from e centre n give it to her n she loves it cse she keeps munching away is it ok ???? i mean bread is kind o sweet rite ??? so i,m always end up w a bread with a hole in the centre hahahahha.......you also mention serve cheese with bread erm hw do i serve it??? cut small slices o cheese melt it in e oven n spread on bread ?????

thks
i will spread the cheese evenly on the bread and put into the microwave for 30sec. ust to let the cheese melt and feed ds..

meiteoh

I'll share what I wrote on a FB group on cheeses:

I've had a few people ask me what is the difference between soft cheese, hard cheese, natural cheese and processed cheese. I'm not an expert in cheese; just happened to marry someone who LOVES cheeses and comes from a cheesemaking country (eg France - which has over 400 different types of cheeses).

There are a few sites you can go to for more info on these cheeses apart from whomesomebabyfood.com:

- http://www.epa.gov/ttn/chief/ap42/ch09/final/c9s06-1.pdf
- Processed Cheese | Preparation | Manufacture | Packaging
- https://www.msu.edu/~mdr/vol14no2/ustunol.html

Basically, cheese is divided into natural cheese or processed cheese.

Natural cheese is made up of soft or hard cheeses. The process in making natural cheese is basically cooking milk and getting curds from this process. Curds are then gathered and pressed or formed in moulds before they are aged. I skipped a few processes like salting and adding flavours (depends on what cheese you buy, eg black pepper or ham cheese will have those flavours).

Soft cheeses like Brie and Camembert are not pressed and are aged by exposing them to bacteria and mould. This is the main reason why they are NOT suitable for babies and toddlers.

Hard (firm to hard) cheese like Cheddar, Parmesan, Comte, Colby, Edam, Gouda are pressed in a mould and age for a long period. They have very little water content as opposed to soft cheeses.

Cottage cheese and cream cheese is not aged or pressed - it's basically cheese that is fresh from the curdling process with minimal processing (compared to hard and soft cheese) and is also suitable for babies.

Processed cheese on the other hand are things like cheese spreads and cheese slices like Kraft Singles. These are made from natural cheese leftovers and processed further. It contains more salt, preservatives, colouring as well as milk.

This is why a lot of sites will tell you that when introducing cheese, it's best to avoid processed cheese slices and stick to cheese blocks. It's cheaper and more nutritious.

As for how to serve cheese, you can give cheese as a snack on its own or put in an omelette, in soups (for flavour or to thicken), over pasta like mac & cheese, on top of baked items like baked potatoes/cauliflower/etc as a garnish and so forth. There is no hard and fast rule as to how you serve cheese. It all depends on what type of cheese you're giving your kiddo (block cheese like cheddar or cream cheese or cottage cheese).

When buying cheese, look out for sodium content - it should be below 680mg per 100 gm of cheese. I always get those with 650-610 mg per 100 gm cheese. Avoid ultra salty cheeses with high readings of salt like Mini Baybels and so forth.

raeka

I either give him e whole piece or together w bread. I bought kraft single for him . Never tried putting in cereal or porridge.

esthergal

Can i feed baby with blocked cheese from NTUC or cold storage? there are usually many types of blocked cheese there, which type should i choose? how do i know which one is cheddar or cottage cheese?

For those blocked cheese, can i feed my baby straight? or must cook or heat up?

TIA :)

meiteoh

It is usually written on the label if it's cottage cheese or cheddar or parmesan or mozarella. See the links below:

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=Coon+block+cheese&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://ipdragon.blogspot.com/2010/03/cheese-with-double-identity-crisis-from.html

I usually buy Coon's cheddar blocks or Mainland's range of cheese - can find those in Fair Price or Cold Storage. CS has a better range although if you go to FP Finest, it's pretty extensive as well. :)

You can then grate them up or slice them or cube them before giving them to your little one. No need to cook or heat up already as cheese is already cooked during processing. I usually sprinkle grated cheese over pasta or add to egg omelette. Eva gets the cubes as a snack on some days.

Last edited:

esthergal

Thanks Meiteoh for your reply :)

I bought the organic cheddar cheese (in block) for my baby but he doesn't like... he still likes the processed kraft singles... is there any brand cheddar cheese block that tastes like the singles?

meiteoh

Hm, how do you serve the cheeses? Maybe can try mixing the two (more kraft at first) and then slowly reduce the quantity of kraft singles over time.

esthergal

Haha, i tried to give cheddar cheese straight to my baby, because he likes it that way for the kraft... but this cheddar cheese he almost vomitted out...

THen i tried mixing a bit into his pasta, he didn't reject it but does not really like it... always turn his head away from the spoon, but when i gave him kraft he is like grabbing for it, always asking for more...

meiteoh

Try mixing both loh. Could be because different flavour and he's too used to eating one type of cheese. :)

meiteoh

Not all cheeses are the same - there is Mozarella, Cheddar, Parmesan, Gouda, Edam, Gloucester, Swiss, Feta, etc. Cheddar produced by different company as well as of different "age" can vary slightly in flavour (there is extra mature Cheddar, mild Cheddar, etc).