What do u eat during confinement

me too. i drank the waist tonic during my confinement period. my mil bought it for me after hearing about it over on the radio.

it is said to be suitable for breastfeeding mothers as it does not contain any alcohol content in it.

i drank it once in the day and night. sometimes my mil would add a little into some dishes she made for my confinement.

the only think i dont like about confinement is that can only drink warm water. no cold drinks at all!

camom

BF-ing mummies how you guys cope with the confinement food?

Some confinement foods are prepared using ingredients like alcohol.. herbal.. and ginger right.. Will these be harmful to the baby? I heard that ginger causes jaundice in baby.. although alcohol evaporates after heated up but there will still be some leftover or byproducts in the food right?
I bf and is still bf my 18 month old son. I stuck to the strictly no alcohol menu even till today. I am still very careful about what I eat to date. My hong jiu zhao is still in the fridge, each time I cook, only hubs eat :(. I am the very KS type, no tiramisu too :(

Also, I didn't take those traditional chinese medicine supplements like shen hua tang, etc during my confinement. 1stly, dont know what's in the tonic and 2ndly, dont't know if it'll affect my milk supply or cause some other problems to baby.

My son had very high jaundice levels and though my gynae said there was no link between ginger and jaundice, I played it safe and cut down. I didn't cut down on sesame oil.

Last edited:

iwan2noe

For breastfeeding mummies, it's good to take your meal after breastfeeding so that by the time the next feed came, everything will be digested.

Normally, first few days after birth, it's good to eat kidney fried with black fungus. The combination of this dish is to aid constipation and to clear blood clot.

Breastfeeding mummies have to avoid liver cos liver will reduce the milk flow.
I agree with u; liver reduces ur milk supply.. I do not realise until one day I ate liver n subsequently my milk supply dipped!

sassylady

i didnt know liver will reduce the milk supply.

was really careful on what i ate when i was breastfeeding.

other than the waist tonic, i dont really dare to take any other chinese medicine. scared later too heaty for my bb.

personally i think it's really important to pay attention to what we eat during confinement especially if your breastfeeding. what we eat may affect the quality of the milk.

or rather that's how i think.

i guess i wasnt really a fussy eater during my confinement.

my mil give me what i eat what.

the only thing i cant stand is the no cold drinks policy. weather so hot i still have to drink warm water. :(

other than that, i think there are several confinement recipes out there that are quite easy to cook. just cook, add in a dose of the waist tonic, and you can eat.

my mil bought this cook book just to cook the dishes. :shyxxx:

sassylady

i forgot to add this.

on top of the food and waist tonic, i had fast food too! but that in the middle of the night and i got craving for it.

in the end, it was too oily for me that i had to make fruitylite to drink. iced one somemore.

those were the days. hubby have to sneak food for me in the middle of the night. hehehe.

i had fast food too. in the end it was a little too filling for me that i resorted to drinking fruitylite too!

but the feeling is very shiok! to satisfy the craving for some comfort food after eating normal food for sooo long.

sassylady

i guess we all have been breaking the rules for confinement.

fast food. fried food. iced drinks. iced fruitylite.

but well. it's still the best to stick to confinement food. and on top of that tonics to help boast the health up. waist tonic and all included.

the waist tonic is good. especially if you dont like to drink it, you can just add it into your food before serving it.

on top of that, i think its best to maintain a healthy mindset. some mothers i know got depressed because they didnt like the food.

nataliecxy

See this link, http://www.confinementfood.com/confinement-food-menu.html it tells you the type of foods you will eat during confinement.

Related Articles:
Confinement Meals - Learn about the benefits of confinement meals and post-natal do's and dont'ts
See [URL="http://www.confinementfood.com/confinement-meals.html"]http://www.confinementfood.com/confinement-meals.html[/URL]
Confinement Food Benefits - Learn about the health benefits of ingredients used in Chinese confinement food
See http://www.confinementfood.com/confinement-food-benefits.html

Last edited:
thanks for the useful links dear. i believe many here would find that useful. :)

confinement food can be quite an issue for many mothers. especially picky eaters.

it is important to eat confinement food to help boast up the body. so please take note ladies. even if not, try and take some tonics or drink the waist tonic.

lii

When I was doing my confinement (both kids), both my mom and mother-in-law would make SOUPS. It would be like 2 soups a day. 1 is usually fish and papaya soup and the other is a super condensed chicken soup with various herbs that is "heaty".

Here's a compilation of some useful soups..
The Chinese Soup Lady & Chinese Soup Recipes

Enjoy!
Lisa

sassylady

thanks for the recipes. will look into it when i'm making soup next time.

maybe i can make some for my girlfriend who is doing her confinement now.

and with some waist tonic added to it, sure will taste good and nutritious! :)

msblur

I had vinegar pig trotters, liver, kidney, fish during my confinement. I love to eat confinement, so practically wat my MIL cooked, i will finished all, esp the vinegar pig trotters! As for water, i had the red date drink. Nt advisable to drink alot of plain water during confinement period loh. And while drinking, we hav to sit down & drink, do not stand. :)

Renzie

I had vinegar pig trotters, yellow ginger in fried rice, noodle soup. french toast cooked with seame oil, herbal black chicken soup, black chicken with VSOP, Red date tea, rice lightly fried with ginger drink. (red date tea can be too heaty, thus alternate days have that rice tea instead), fast food in the middle of the night.

Verona's

I nv really "bu" i think .. All the food was cooked with sesame oil only , mil buy all the alcohol thing but nv use at all i don't know why also , untill 3rd week then i start drinking dom after i pump out the milk , sometimes drink black chicken soup like twice during the month, my red dates tea add lot of ginger i think its fine if after bf , i even drink pure ginger juice but after bf , nothing else but myself think that i nv bu back ..

blue_skies

Hi mummies

If anyone is interested to order confinement rice wine for cooking your food, please PM me. This confinement rice wine is also known as red (glutinous) rice wine or Hong Zhao Jiu. It is different from the white rice wine (or Shao Xing Jiu). Note that this red rice wine cannot be drunk and is meant to be used for cooking food.

Thanks.

bbgal_2010

I had vinegar pig trotters, yellow ginger in fried rice, noodle soup. french toast cooked with seame oil, herbal black chicken soup, black chicken with VSOP, Red date tea, rice lightly fried with ginger drink. (red date tea can be too heaty, thus alternate days have that rice tea instead), fast food in the middle of the night.
so nice got fast food my MONSter say fast food = junk food i cannot eat=(

bbgal_2010

I'm not having much of the wine stuff..oni more on ginger n sesame food..soup i alway been drinking ABC soup...lotus soup...herbal chicken soup..coz MY MONSTER cannot take WINE...

Renzie

Everyone has to eat whatever I eat during my confinement, just that sometimes I have an extra soup or something. As for food with wine, its usually prepared separately for my own personal consumption.

haha during my confinement....junk food is better than me going hungry. in laws had stated that no matter what I cannot go hungry!~ Plus no1 knows since its in the middle of the night...