What does 'sleeping through the night' REALLY mean?

sugarcookie

Dear Mummies,

My baby is almost 3 months' old now. About a month back, she started falling asleep between 7pm-8pm all the way till about 1am-2am before waking up. Sometimes, she can sleep till 4am-5am but rarely.

I read that the medical definition of 'sleeping through the night' is 5 hours. Going by this definition, my baby is supposedly sleeping through. But to me, sleeping from 7pm-1am is not really considered 'sleeping through the night' as still is still waking up in the middle of the night (i.e. after 1am).

What do you Mummies think? What does 'sleeping through the night' really mean to you?

autumn82

Dear Mummies,

My baby is almost 3 months' old now. About a month back, she started falling asleep between 7pm-8pm all the way till about 1am-2am before waking up. Sometimes, she can sleep till 4am-5am but rarely.

I read that the medical definition of 'sleeping through the night' is 5 hours. Going by this definition, my baby is supposedly sleeping through. But to me, sleeping from 7pm-1am is not really considered 'sleeping through the night' as still is still waking up in the middle of the night (i.e. after 1am).

What do you Mummies think? What does 'sleeping through the night' really mean to you?
At 3mths old, sleeping for 5hrs is considered sleeping thru the nite wor. :) Wait for a few more months, your darling will sleep from 7pm to next morn!

perrier

I guess to me sleeping through the night would means waking up the next morning. :)

Maybe your baby sleep too early? Try adjusting her sleep pattern?

Phases, phases phases. Every phase got it's own little milestone to hit. I guess, just have to be patient. :)

Jia you!

annie

when my girl was younger, i used to think sleeping through the night s 5hrs to make myself feel better lol. but then from wat i read from online n books, sleeping through the night means 5hrs(12am-5am) cos 5am already morning.. so somehow 7pm-1am is not? cos when she wakes, its still night...

as my girl gets older, i feel sleeping through the night means wake up only after sun rise. so eg my girl goes to bed at 9.30am n wakes up at 5.30am(sun rises here around 5am) then i consider her as sleeping through the night however, i hope she can 'sleep through the night' till her wake up time! lol. means totally dun wake up for milk till her wakeup time around 8am. dunno when this day will come lol

autumn82

I really hope so!!!
Do not worry, it will happen if you continue her current sleep time and make sure she is well fed in the day, she will be able to sleep thru pretty soon. Iggy was on 7pm-7am since NB until now. He slept thru w/o nite feeds @ 3-4mths old until now. :001_302:

annie

dun give her false hope lol. my girl has always been sleeping on the same time n has a very stable bedtime routine since day 1 n very well fed in the day but till now (8mths old soon) haven sleep through the night n these 3 nights have been waking up every 1-2hrs!

Ros Teo

I really hope so!!!
ya, I too read from books that sleeping through the night means sleeps a straight 5 to 6 hrs. My baby girl now sleeps around 930pm and will wakes up around 4am to 5am for milk. And then fall back to sleep to around 8am. I considered this pattern as very good already..hope that by few more months,she will sleep to the next morning, with no waking up.

Ting

for me it means once she slp at night (regardless of timing say anytime from 8pm-11pm) til next morning then wake up (ranging from 7am-10am).
as long once she slps (not napping) from night til mornin n in btw dont wake up for milk feeds lo. (only once in a while might wake for feed).
pin has been slping thru since 2 mths old. :)

annie

ros, how old is your bb?

strange huh. some bb sleep through the night since so young n some not till they are over a yr old.. btw, pin and iggy on breastmilk or formula?

autumn82

dont give her false hope lol. my girl has always been sleeping on the same time and has a very stable bedtime routine since day 1 and very well fed in the day but till now (8mths old soon) have not sleep through the night and these 3 nights have been waking up every 1-2hrs!
I never give false hopes!!! *serious tone* :tlaugh:

Have u ever tried not giving yr gal 1 nite feed when she wakes up in the nite? When she wakes up, try patting, giving water, shhh her or (wat she is used to) to bed again w/o feeding milk. When u managed to wean her off 1 feed for the next few days, wait for 2 weeks+ or more then reduce another nite feed.

Iggy used to sleep @ 6.30pm, drinks nite feeds @ 9.30pm, 12.30am, 3.30am and 6.30am. I removed the 9.30pm feed 1st, then the 3.30am, and last the 12.30am. :001_302:

She's prob going thru some growth spurts that's y. Or maybe just want some comfort? Teething? :)

autumn82

ros, how old is your baby?

strange huh. some baby sleep through the night since so young and some not till they are over a your old.. btw, pin and iggy on breastmilk or formula?
Iggy was on BM for 6mths followed by FM. :001_302:

annie

i tried. she was waking up for milk around 12-1am and 5-6am last time then i try not giving her the 12-1am feed for 2 days n she started sleeping from 9.30pm-5/6am then wake up for milk for about 2 weeks n then suddenly now she wakes up every 2hrs! im considering if i should do wat i did again by not giving her milk till 5/6am...

how did u wean iggy off the milk thinggy? rocking? pacifier? water? my girl cannot take pacifier n water. i tried giving her n she started screaming. wat i did last time was to simply carry her while standing n slowly swinging till she drowsy then put her back to sleep. sometimes she can doze off in 5mins but sometimes takes me 1.5hrs! so tiring.. dunno want to do it again or not..

dun think she is teething. not growth sprut also cos day time she dosent seem hungry...

autumn82

i tried. she was waking up for milk around 12-1am and 5-6am last time then i try not giving her the 12-1am feed for 2 days and she started sleeping from 9.30pm-5/6am then wake up for milk for about 2 weeks and then suddenly now she wakes up every 2hrs! im considering if i should do what i did again by not giving her milk till 5/6am...

how did you wean iggy off the milk thinggy? rocking? pacifier? water? my girl cannot take pacifier and water. i tried giving her and she started screaming. what i did last time was to simply carry her while standing and slowly swinging till she drowsy then put her back to sleep. sometimes she can doze off in 5mins but sometimes takes me 1.5hrs! so tiring.. dont know want to do it again or not..

dont think she is teething. not growth sprut also cos day time she dosent seem hungry...
:err: Wat time does she sleep and wakes up? 12-1am is the 1st nite feed? Followed by 5-6am being 2nd feed? Then she goes bk to sleep again?

I just shhh him to bed, if he cries for awhile, I will pick him up, shhh him and put him bk to bed. Iggy dun like pacifier and water, so he doesn't take them as well. :tlaugh:

How much is she drinking in the day time for each feed? Can try up alittle more? So that her "tank" would be full and last her thru the nite? For Iggy, 1hr after his bowl of porridge, I will still make 4oz of milk for him w/o messing up his milk timing. He's taking 8oz for each feed 3hrly.

Utimately, depends on u. Some mums feel that they r depriving the baby if they don't give nite feeds, so they continue doing until the baby becomes toddler which might become a habit that is hard to kick for the toddler by then. :)

annie

oh im not those mothers lol. i feel she is old enough to stop night feedings n hope she does that but she dosent stop!

no la that used to be her old schedule before i start the 'no milk' routine. her new schedule is she will sleep 9.30pm(has been this timing since day 1) and wakes up only around 4-5am for milk once n sleep again n wake at 7am for the day. but then this week (starting from monday) she has been waking up pratically every 1-2hrs! she will wake up at 11.30pm(i usually just cover her with blanket n she goes right back to sleep), 12.30am, 2.30am, 3.50am, 5am, 6am, 7am and up for the day at 9am... im going to die..

i dunno how much she drinks cos she latch on directly. i try giving her many times but i realise she is not hungry cos she jsut latch on a while n unlatch n no matter how, she dosent want to drink more n my breast is totally not emptied. so i dun force her to drink so often liao. even though i dun force her to drink, i realise she drinks many times also. day time she will be taking about 6-7times breastmilk...which i think is enough to last her through the night. somemore she is on 2 solid meals a day!

autumn82

oh im not those mothers lol. i feel she is old enough to stop night feedings and hope she does that but she dosent stop!

no that used to be her old schedule before i start the 'no milk' routine. her new schedule is she will sleep 9.30pm(has been this timing since day 1) and wakes up only around 4-5am for milk once and sleep again and wake at 7am for the day. but then this week (starting from monday) she has been waking up pratically every 1-2hrs! she will wake up at 11.30pm(i usually just cover her with blanket and she goes right back to sleep), 12.30am, 2.30am, 3.50am, 5am, 6am, 7am and up for the day at 9am... im going to die..

i dont know how much she drinks cos she latch on directly. i try giving her many times but i realise she is not hungry cos she jsut latch on a while and unlatch and no matter how, she dosent want to drink more and my breast is totally not emptied. so i dont force her to drink so often . even though i dont force her to drink, i realise she drinks many times also. day time she will be taking about 6-7times breastmilk...which i think is enough to last her through the night. somemore she is on 2 solid meals a day!
Erm.. that's one thing I dun like abt latching on, coz I dunno how much he drank. :tlaugh:Her weird timing this week, prob just a passing phase.. Dun worry too much.. Heh. Hmm.. could it be because she got used to waking up for milk already? :)

annie

well before that she only wakes up once at 5am for milk leh. cannot be get used to waking so many times for milk ba? so do u suggest i give her milk everytime she wakes now or dun give since its a passing phase? i wonder hw to deal with this phase..

BbpHir3

Erm.. that's one thing I dont like about latching on, coz I dont know how much he drank. :tlaugh:Her weird timing this week, prob just a passing phase.. dont worry too much.. Heh. Hmm.. could it be because she got used to waking up for milk already? :)
i think my dear daughter considered sleeping tru the night .. cuz she can sleep from 11pm-2am until 10am-12pm the next day.. bout at least 8hours of sleep.. every time if her bedtime is not disturbed, she can sleep from 10pm to 8am.. bout 10hrs of sleep..

autumn82

well before that she only wakes up once at 5am for milk . cannot be get used to waking so many times for milk ? so do you suggest i give her milk everytime she wakes now or dont give since its a passing phase? i wonder hw to deal with this phase..
If for myself, I won't give. :tlaugh:But have to tahan the sleepless nites for few days.. :embarrassed:

autumn82

i think my dear daughter considered sleeping tru the night .. cuz she can sleep from 11pm-2am until 10am-12pm the next day.. bout at least 8hours of sleep.. every time if her bedtime is not disturbed, she can sleep from 10pm to 8am.. bout 10hrs of sleep..
Goodwor! :) Can sleep better~ Heh.