What milk for your toddler?

Frenchkitty

Mommies, just wanna check what Milk are you giving your toddler who is already on a very established routine of meals & snacks.

Fresh milk? FM? Which brand and why??

Ting

pin's still on FM, friso 4. been drinking since NB so now still continuing.
as for fresh milk, we take meiji milk, reason being, my family prefers meiji milk. :)

kj2008

My son going to be 21/2 now takes meiji fresh milk since he was 1 yr old with pediasure added to it. He loves the vanilla flavor :)

Amulet

she is having GainIQ in childcare coz easier to bring ard..

at home having Greenfield Fresh Milk coz it's yummy and has the highest level of calcium amng all other full cream milk..

Frenchkitty

Meiji fresk milk is popular among mommies here because of the high content of energy / fat /calcium as compared to other brands right?
I did a comparison at NTUC recently.

My son currently on Bellamy organic FM, and meiji fresh milk also. :tlaugh:
But Bellamy is mighty expensive and I'm thinking of switching to most likely Pediasure because the other brands the energy content quite low.

Ting

uhmmm for me, i didnt compare btw the fresh milk, just that me n my family prefer the TASTE of meiji, that's why we buy that. keke.

apollo

uhmmm for me, i didnt compare btw the fresh milk, just that me n my family prefer the TASTE of meiji, that's why we buy that. keke.
same same.. my hse, father n son snatching fresh milk. buahahahahahahaha!!!

Frenchkitty

Lets say for those of you whose children are on fresh milk supplemented with solids, how long can one carton (1L) last?

apollo

Lets say for those of you whose children are on fresh milk supplemented with solids, how long can one carton (1L) last?
hmm currently ds doesnt really take fresh milk.. usually i will replace with FM for his aft noon feed or night feed. the small carton meiji will last abt 2 days cos he share with daddy. it's pretty easy to count. if ur son takes abt 600ml of FM daily and u wanna fully replace with fresh milk, can last abt 1.5days. =)

Mummy to Baby V

My boy takes Pura. Otherwise, Farmhouse.
Reason, milk from Australia: artificial hormone is banned.
Pura: cows mainly feed on grass. Commercial farms may feed cows mainly grains or corns, not cow's natural diet.

I'd prefer organic milk, which means no antibiotics given to cows, but couldn't get a suitable brand in KL.
Therefore, we replace some milk feeds with organic Easiyo homemade yoghurt.

Between son and I, we consume 1litre of milk/yoghurt daily.

View our comparison articles at:
Which Milk is Better for Toddler? (Part 1) | Mummy's Reviews
Which Milk is Better for Toddler? (Part 2) | Mummy's Reviews

thepinkdot

My boy takes Pura. Otherwise, Farmhouse.
Reason, milk from Australia: artificial hormone is banned.
Pura: cows mainly feed on grass. Commercial farms may feed cows mainly grains or corns, not cow's natural diet.

I'd prefer organic milk, which means no antibiotics given to cows, but couldn't get a suitable brand in KL.
Therefore, we replace some milk feeds with organic Easiyo homemade yoghurt.

Between son and I, we consume 1litre of milk/yoghurt daily.

View our comparison articles at:
Which Milk is Better for Toddler? (Part 1) | Mummy's Reviews
Which Milk is Better for Toddler? (Part 2) | Mummy's Reviews
my 4 yo preschooler still takes fresh milk a few times a day.. and we only use Pura as per the reason stated by Mummy to Baby very.

meiteoh

Am giving fresh milk (pasteurized and UHT as backup) (brand: Meiji for pasteurised and Magnolia for UHT).

No formula for Eva because 1) it contains too much sugar and can lead to hyperactivism in toddlers, and 2) I am not sure of the biodiversity of the vits & minerals it contains (biodiversity meaning is it easy to digest coz if not, it'll be more work for the kidneys and liver to flush the excess out of the body plus it's a waste of money).

Was also informed by the paed nutritionist that at 12 mths onwards, toddlers should be drinking max amount of 500-600ml of milk, less if their diet is high in dairy from other sources like cheese and yogurt. Any more and it can lead to iron deficiency which can affect growth, brain development and the immune system.

I buy 2L around every 10 days as Eva prefers to eat solids rather than drink milk (her max is around 400ml - at the bbsitter's, it's 600ml), which is actually recommended for toddlers.

Frenchkitty, note that Pediasure is heavy on sugar and carbs plus added flavouring. I never checked the nutrition content of fresh milk like Meiji or others because for toddlers, they should be getting most of their nutrients from solids and not milk. For me, milk is just a supplement. We find that Meiji has good value for money, so we get that. :)

Last edited:

Frenchkitty

meiteoh > But surprisingly a Dietitian I know recommended Pediasure for her own child because he is on the skinny side and he is one of the fussiest eaters around. Sometimes he can go without meals and just drink milk so shes giving him Pediasure.

Today, I was browsing around the supermart comparing milk and bought this:

Horizon Organic whole cow milk

Decided to feed this together with Bellamy Organic FM for my son because he drinks an ave 800ml milk a day cos he is still waking for night feeds.
All those comparison of FM is driving me bonkers and honestly if not for the hefty price, I would just continue sticking to Bellamy ONLY and not mixing around.

I am also not a fan of other FMs in the market because they have too much additives like AA, DHA, etc etc.

meiteoh

I do remember someone telling me that Pediasure is usually the last resort they recommend for toddlers who have trouble putting on weight or eating and this is after doing blood tests, ruling out other phsyical problems, etc. Not saying that it's not good, just a caveat emptor note (caveat emptor = let the buyer beware).

A paed nutritionist I know mentioned that that we tend to put a lot of emphasis on weight and compare it with other kids without realizing that weight and appearance is subjective. Do check out her comment in Estagal's thread. I find it very enlightening. A snippet regarding "skinny" is placed here:

Mom seems concerned about child's weight/growth... keep emphasising that her child is skinny. Define skinny. Is it skinny compared to other kids? If this is the case, stop comparing. Each child is born with their own genetic propensity inherited from parents or even grandparents/uncles/aunties.
Note that although she's based in Australia, she and her hubby are both Malaysians and therefore they are familiar with our cultural practices and views on toddler feeding. :) Would be happy to ask her any questions if anyone has any. :)

stonston

Am giving fresh milk (pasteurized and UHT as backup) (brand: Meiji for pasteurised and Magnolia for UHT).

No formula for Eva because 1) it contains too much sugar and can lead to hyperactivism in toddlers, and 2) I am not sure of the biodiversity of the vits & minerals it contains (biodiversity meaning is it easy to digest coz if not, it'll be more work for the kidneys and liver to flush the excess out of the body plus it's a waste of money).

Was also informed by the paed nutritionist that at 12 mths onwards, toddlers should be drinking max amount of 500-600ml of milk, less if their diet is high in dairy from other sources like cheese and yogurt. Any more and it can lead to iron deficiency which can affect growth, brain development and the immune system.

I buy 2L around every 10 days as Eva prefers to eat solids rather than drink milk (her max is around 400ml - at the bbsitter's, it's 600ml), which is actually recommended for toddlers.

Frenchkitty, note that Pediasure is heavy on sugar and carbs plus added flavouring. I never checked the nutrition content of fresh milk like Meiji or others because for toddlers, they should be getting most of their nutrients from solids and not milk. For me, milk is just a supplement. We find that Meiji has good value for money, so we get that. :)
I think you meant BIOAVAILABILITY which refers to how easily absorbed and readily used by our bodies a certain nutrient is?

Also, every child's nutritional needs is different. There is no such thing as MAX amount. There's only a recommended amount, not a maximum amount.

For my soon-to-be 4yo son, he is taking 800ml - 1L of fresh milk daily on top of his 3 meals and 2 snacks. He has great appetite and is putting weight like regular kids. He is not overweight but tall for his age. For mummies who have met him, I'm sure you will agree that in terms of developmental milestones, he's definitely ahead of peers his age.

Milk is good, it's never 'enough'. We should encourage them to take as much milk as they like as long as it does not affect their appetite for their main meals.

Pediasure is created to target at children who do not even want to drink the recommended MINIMUM amount of milk. It's made sweeter to packed more nutrients into each serving compared to other FM and fresh milk. It's also made tasty to entice these reluctant children to drink milk.
This is a product created for desperate parents at their wit's end. I do not recommend Pediasure unless the child is really in need (underweight, poor appetite, refusal to try other brands of milk). For kids who are alright with other brands of FM or fresh milk, there's no need to introduce Pediasure at all.