What soup can pregnant woman drink?

Tannie

Need some ideas...I have run out of idea what soup to cook. I was told not to eat lotus root, old cucumber, winter melon etc...cannot too liang....cannot too heaty... :err:

xiaodaisy

maybe some herbal soup but not too often ..

pork ribs soup , watercress soup , abc soup , sichuan vege soup , chicken with white fungus

as long in moderate amt intake , shld be ok to take those soup u mention too , as my mom also brew tat for me , if not our body will be too heaty and get sick easily , avoid if u have very weak body and unstable pregnancy ..

xiaodaisy

maybe some herbal soup but not too often ..

pork ribs soup , watercress soup , abc soup , sichuan vege soup , chicken with white fungus

as long in moderate amt intake , shld be ok to take those soup u mention too , as my mom also brew tat for me , if not our body will be too heaty and get sick easily , avoid if u have very weak body and unstable pregnancy ..

Mummy to Baby V

Need some ideas...I have run out of idea what soup to cook. I was told not to eat lotus root, old cucumber, winter melon etc...cannot too liang....cannot too heaty... :err:
My MIL cooks these soup and I continue to drink them as per normal. I avoid herbal food and soups, following obgyn's advice. Some Chinese herbs can promote maternal bleeding during delivery. I also avoid peanut soup (or max half a bowl) cos some babies may have nut allergy.

Tomato omelette soup

This soup is rich in fiber and protein.

tomatoes, cubed
carrot, sliced
potatoes, cubed
ilkan bilis stock

Boil all together till soft.

eggs, beaten
chopped chinese pasley
salt and pepper to taste

Fry egg into an omelette, cut into pieces and put into soup. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle chinese pasley on top and serve.

panpan

how about potato, carrot and onion soup? it's a clear soup that my mum makes that i like it quite alot.. but i'm no cook myself. hehe..

(forgot to add that there is meat too.. think she added some pork in.)

Last edited:

hotmilktea

good to make papaya soup with fish bone. i hv shared a recipe in the nov2011 thread.
its for breast milk also :)

other soup that i always drink are lotus root, winter melon, radish with carrots, spinach with ikan billis, black bean etc.
if the main ingredient is cooling i.e. winter melon, then add red dates to it.

for herbal soup, some herbs pregnant have to avoid, so dont drink if you are not sure

athanmiddleton

Creamy Broccoli Soup

Ingredients:

1 c. onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
6 c. broccoli, chopped (about 2 crowns)
2 c. low sodium chicken broth
2 c. skim milk
salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large soup pot, combine onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
Add the broccoli, cover the pot, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
Add skim milk and blend in pot with an immersion blender until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, add soup to a blender in small batches. Blend until smooth and transfer soup to clean pot. Reheat slowly if needed.

Serves: 6

Serving size: about 1 cup

Nutritional analysis (per serving):

101 calories
8 g protein
1 g fat
0.5 g sat. fat
17 g carbohydrate
6 g fiber
3 mg cholesterol
142 mg sodium
169 mg calcium
1 mg iron
183 mcg folic acid

This soup is high in folic acid because of the amount of broccoli used. Adequate folic acid intake is important, especially during the early weeks of pregnancy, to help prevent birth defects. Also good for breastfeeding mothers.

posh

Creamy Broccoli Soup

Ingredients:

1 c. onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
6 c. broccoli, chopped (about 2 crowns)
2 c. low sodium chicken broth
2 c. skim milk
salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large soup pot, combine onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
Add the broccoli, cover the pot, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
Add skim milk and blend in pot with an immersion blender until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, add soup to a blender in small batches. Blend until smooth and transfer soup to clean pot. Reheat slowly if needed.

Serves: 6

Serving size: about 1 cup

Nutritional analysis (per serving):

101 calories
8 g protein
1 g fat
0.5 g sat. fat
17 g carbohydrate
6 g fiber
3 mg cholesterol
142 mg sodium
169 mg calcium
1 mg iron
183 mcg folic acid

This soup is high in folic acid because of the amount of broccoli used. Adequate folic acid intake is important, especially during the early weeks of pregnancy, to help prevent birth defects. Also good for breastfeeding mothers.
This receipe looks good.

purpleluv

my mother makes lotus root and peanut soup for me when i'm back to visit. i love to drink that.

my mil makes ABC soup which has onion, carrot, potato and corn. she always makes soup and makes other soups as well but i don't like to drink them.

i don't take herbal due to reading online saying to avoid herbs when pregnant because side effects may arise, like some mention may promote bleeding...

Debra Foster

The only thing I would be cautious of is the levels of sodium in canned soups. It is not good for an already swollen pregnant women to have all that sodium. Maybe if they have one with low sodium... And also I would avoid the ones with MSG (monosodium glutamate) in them, MSG crosses the placenta and it's effects haven't been studied in detail.