What to do in an emergency?

Any one can share what I need in an emergency?

ie if baby having respiratory problems or turning blue?

anyone have any experience which ambulance service to call (location Punggol), wat is the procedure at KKH,

Do you need your own ambubag, what to bring,

Anyone know where to learn CPR for babies also?

Just wanna be prepared.

epicurean

anyone have any experience which ambulance service to call (location Punggol), what is the procedure at Kandang Kerbau Hospital,

Just wanna be prepared.
yummymummy,
I don't know about KK coz Seb goes to NUH. You might want to check with KK if they conduct Infant CPR classes. Seb's doc arranged for us (parents, grandparents, uncle & aunt, helper) to attend Infant CPR with the PICU nurses at NUH. Topics covered included what to do during choking episodes plus resuscitation ... notes are provided along with emergency contact nos.

What we do at home is
1. Seb's going-out bag is always packed & ready in case we need to move out fast - med appt card with Seb's particulars & his docs' names, diapers, wet wipes etc, extra clothes, hankies, nappies, plastic bags. Feeding stuff is all kept at one location so it's grab-and-go.
2. His record book of feeds, temperature, possible seizure episodes
3. Emergency numbers taped on the fridge (NUH Children's A&E, emergency ambulance is 995)

When Seb has one of his choking episodes coz of vom or phlegm, we put him on his side to help him clear it safely. His face did turn grey a couple of times or his lips turn dark or grey'sh ... but so far, thank goodness, he has managed to clear it without aspiration. After each episode, we're on the lookout for fever or other signs of aspiration. If he ever has trouble clearing his airways, we will move on to what the PICU nurse taught us about choking.

Hope this is helpful!

Angelmum

anyone have any experience which ambulance service to call (location Punggol), what is the procedure at Kandang Kerbau Hospital,

Just wanna be prepared.

your emergency and mine or probaby in the A&E guideline is diff.

My 1st emergency was dear daughter's 1st Fit 4yrs ago ... turned purple. As it was about 3am and happen we got no prob flagging a cab, we arr Kandang Kerbau Hospital in 20-30mins but the wait was 1-2hrs cos they felt not emergency and urgent enough.

Ambulance and FAQ

Trust that your knowledge and instincts will prepare you well for the many days ahead, starting from the day you first learned of his/her chronic illness or diagnosis.

Some real experiences from parents:
1) One day Timothy was playing and mentioned in passing to me that he had a missile in his ear. Well, given that he was constantly playhg with any sort of air combat toys, making all the requisite noises, I ignored this and went on my way. The next day Tim said: “Mommy, the missile is really bothering me,” while pointing to his ear. Uh OH! I thought. I called him over and my husband looked in his ear and sure enough, there was a ‘missile’ from a toy Blackhawk helicopter tightly wedged in the canal. Off to the ER. The doc who removed the missile, chuckled and thanked us for being the most interesting of his patients that day. At least it was one ER visit where we did not have to leave with any dire concerns, prescriptions or instructions.

2) Brandon used to put pieces of cookies in his ears when he was learning to eat solid food. I used to tease him that he was saving it until later. Fortunately none of it got inside the ear canal, but he was sure messy!

3) My aunt got to smelling rotten when she was small. No one could understand why. They took her to the doctor’s and found that she had stuck a balloon up her nose and the plastic has started to rot from being there so long.

4) My husband bought our Cody a little thing of the mini M&Ms. He shoved that up his nose but never said anything. Soon it started to melt and run out. Scared me to death, I mean that ‘color’ - thought M&M’s were supposed to melt in mouth, not in your nose!

5) My youngest recently went through a period where she would stick anything and everything up her nose. It got to be a nightly ritual where she’d lie back on the couch, hubby would get the flashlights and tweezers and proceed to dig the day’s collection out. Mostly she rolled up kleenex or napkins and stuck them up there. But we have also pulled out peas, cereal, an small rocks! The worst was when we had to take her to the doctor to get one of her big brother’s Lego people heads removed. We could see it, but couldn’t get to it, so off we went. By the time we got to the doctor, it was gone.

Last edited: