What to do when your toddler keeps food in the mouth??

annie

I have never have this problem till 3 days ago.. my girl started keeping food in her mouth for all her meals! im spending 3.5hr just to feed her 1 meal... so its pratically whole day feeding! i have no time for anything else! She usually swallow her first 2-3 mouth nicely then start her 'stunt' after tat.. basically she just keep inside and then eventually drool... then spit out her mouth of food after keeping it inside for 20-30mins! i got super piss with her n started to really beat her up when she spit out her food or when she dosent chew when i ask her to.. always end up with a crying baby at meal times but eventually she will finish her food.. i know beating her is not good but i wonder what else can i do to make her chew n swallow?? any advice??

BTW, i change her menu regularly. she eats her snacks, french fries etc very very well but not her meals! i wonder if i should bring her to a pd to see if she is having a sore throat or wat.. but then again, if she can eat her fav food well n fast, that should mean she has no physical problems?? arrgg...

apollo

I have never have this problem till 3 days ago.. my girl started keeping food in her mouth for all her meals! im spending 3.5hr just to feed her 1 meal... so its pratically whole day feeding! i have no time for anything else! She usually swallow her first 2-3 mouth nicely then start her 'stunt' after that.. basically she just keep inside and then eventually drool... then spit out her mouth of food after keeping it inside for 20-30mins! i got super piss with her n started to really beat her up when she spit out her food or when she dosent chew when i ask her to.. always end up with a crying baby at meal times but eventually she will finish her food.. i know beating her is not good but i wonder what else can i do to make her chew n swallow?? any advice??

BTW, i change her menu regularly. she eats her snacks, french fries etc very very well but not her meals! i wonder if i should bring her to a pediatrician to see if she is having a sore throat or what.. but then again, if she can eat her fav food well n fast, that should mean she has no physical problems?? arrgg...
ds tend to have this pro on and off.. and i realise he will eats will if he likes the foods, if not, same as ur girl, eat a few spoon the rest keep in his mouth. sometimes dun even wan to open his mouth.

recently i realise he loves food lik steam tofu, steam fish, steam egg. all the steam food. if i put these ingredients into his soup, he doesnt eats well. and he also love soup, just dun like the ingredient inside. and he prefer the rice to be soft..

and I also put some red dates into his soup to enhance the taste, to make him eaet abit more. amazingly, when there is food he loves, he can eat up to 3 portions of rice. if not, mayb only half portion or so.

Taking 3.5hrs for a meal is far to long alrdy! 3.5hrs later will be another mealtime.. usually if ds doesnt finsih his meal within 30min, and can see that he is very 'restless', i will just keep away the food BUT no snacks at all until he finish a proper meal. but once in awhile if he left only 1 or 2 spoon, i will just let him off =)

and i dont think ur girl is having sore throat, shd be fussiness. if u're wry, can bring her to pd and ask if there is any multivit that can improve her appetite =)