what to eat during first trimester?

Win Won

hi liligirly,
is drinking cold milk a problem for u before pregnancy or you like me don't take milk before preg, thus u better watch yr body's reaction to cold milk.
think drinking soya bean milk in moderation is fine…i drink a fair bit since preg. however i read that hormone problem caused by soya, thus everything in moderation. :)

lilgirly

hi liligirly,
is drinking cold milk a problem for u before pregnancy or you like me don't take milk before preg, thus u better watch yr body's reaction to cold milk.
think drinking soya bean milk in moderation is fine…i drink a fair bit since preg. however i read that hormone problem caused by soya, thus everything in moderation. :)
Drinking milk before pregnancy wasn't a problem. I was thinking of drinking milk and/or soya bean once daily. Milk of course I will drink HL milk which have to be kept chilled. As for Soya Bean Milk, I'll be drinking warm/hot.

I hope one milk or soya bean milk per day is ok.

lilgirly

I would like to check if the following food items is ok?

Pardon the list as my husband is really strict on what I can eat and what I can't. Understandable as this is our first child.

Fruits
Mango
Strawberry

Seafood
Frog Legs
Crab
Prawn
Sea Bass
Grouper

Beverage
Milo
Yakult
100 Plus
Coca Cola

Win Won

I would like to check if the following food items is ok?

Pardon the list as my husband is really strict on what I can eat and what I can't. Understandable as this is our first child.

Fruits
Mango
Strawberry

Seafood
Frog Legs
Crab
Prawn
Sea Bass
Grouper

Beverage
Milo
Yakult
100 Plus
Coca Cola
Hi lilgirly,
i'm also having my first child. this is from my personal experience:

Fruits
Mango - i take a bit in 2nd trimester on but ripes one only. 1st trimester totally nvr try.
Strawberry - shld be a problem cos i take this on off.

Seafood
Frog Legs - think shouldn't be a problem. but i don't take cos not a fan.
Crab - i abstrain due to chinese myths.
Prawn - i take this in moderation throughout.
Sea Bass & Grouper - fish shouldn't be a problem, unless high mercury ones pls abstain.

Beverage
Milo - this is good. i take this several times a wk.
Yakult - nvr use as always give me bloating
100 Plus & Coco Cola - i take quite a fair bit of the soft/sweet drinks from 100 plus, coke, sojora, carrot juice, chrysanthemum, soya bean from 2nd trimester on as body feel so hot. Nvr had been a fan of coke but since preg I in love with coke. hw if can pls abstain.

hope i helps!

sarahyyp

Hi i am a first time mum to be
and i am wondering if we(preggies) are able to take
1. Mayo/tartare sauce
2. truffle fries
3. banana
4. coconut (ie coconut ice cream)
5. Assam laksa
6. Chai poh ( on chwee kueh)
7. lobster

Thanks!

Last edited:

larrysee

Hi i am a first time mum to be
and i am wondering if we(preggies) are able to take
1. Mayo/tartare sauce
2. truffle fries
3. banana
4. coconut (ie coconut ice cream)
5. Assam laksa
6. Chai poh ( on chwee kueh)
7. lobster

Thanks!
Mayo/tartare sauce try not to, quote unquote:

'Raw or undercooked eggs. Avoid raw or undercooked eggs as they may cause salmonella. Both the egg white and yolk should be cooked until solid. Avoid raw eggs in fresh mayonnaise (jars of mayonnaise bought in non-refrigerated sections of shops are safe) and avoid raw eggs in desserts such as mousse."

Cheskarina

I'm 9 weeks along and i have been following the general rule of eating what is cooked well and have not been left out for too long. Nothing too high in sugar and moderately healthy such as wholewheat breads and brown rice when available.

I avoid raw sushi, cold cuts, raw salads and anything which has been let out for too long.
As for hawker/foodcourt food i don't consume the rice dishes due to the cooked food being left out for sometime, i will have hot noodle dishes, BBQ chicken wings and foods which are cooked on the spot. Nothing with oysters, mussels and other shells.

I make tuna/egg mayo sandwiches at home but i have developed an aversion to breads and rice so that's off my list. I try to avoid soft drinks and juices due to the high sugar content, i don't take tea or coffee as well due to the caffeine i believe it's fine to have a small amount of tea/coffee.

My morning sickness prevents me from having a lot of food so i eat what i feel like in small amounts and only if it's cooked well, if i don't know how cooked or clean the food is i would choose not to have it.

Good luck, eat healthy and stay happy!

justachild

I'm just making a summary for myself here:

Food to avoid:
1) Raw/semi-raw food
2) Coconut
3) Pineapple
4) Papaya
5) Soft cheese like blue cheese
6) Alcohol
7) Limit caffeine intake

Am I missing anything? Also, can we take curry then since some curry uses coconut milk? How about nasi lemak?

I've checked with my gynae today - milo and cooked shellfish are ok!

cacatay

Eat more fruits and veg but I'm not eating pineapple, del monte kind of long bananas and papaya to be safe. All these are thought to be not good fr pregnant ladies.

Everything in moderation.
just curious, why not the del monte long banana huh??
Gynea advise avoid American Ginseng and Dang Gui also

Pinky kitty

hi mummies out there

i would like to know is it possible to eat jackfruit and bitter gourd? Seems like a lot of things cannot eat. I am a little confuse.:embarrassed:

Kandi

I would also suggest to avoid any raw food however lettuce and tomatoes should be fine!
In my first trimester I was craving crisps so badly haha I knew I was supposed to eat healthy that way I tried to cut it down a little.

beerish

Hi all... I'm new here.. I'm in my first trimester too.. I developed a love for fish.. and ate saba fish at food court. Is saba fish safe for preggies to eat?

My hubby went online to find that saba fish is a kind of mackerel and mackerel shld be avoided by preggies coz of high mercury content.
But some websites only list mackerels in Japanese restaurants, or King mackerel, which is big fish that can be up to 5 feet.

Anyone knows anything abt this?

Last edited:

EliseToh

Congrats mummies-to-be! In addition to a more careful diet, my pregnant friends also take health supplements to boost their nutrients intake for their babies. They had no nausea, swollen limbs, hairfall, acne, backaches, etc. Some were still running around until their last hour before birth! Those who had conceived, have complete and healthy babies; some had thick hair, seldom fall sick, and are fast-learners. Recently, I got to know President Obama is also taking the same brand. In case you would like to find out more, feel free to PM me. Take care and see ya! :)