What to feed my 7 months old ?

Jheyyy

I've been cooking porridge with salmon, lean meat, broccoli, carrot or pumpkin.
I think she's getting sick of it soon cos i myself feel sick cooking the same thing all the time.
What other stuffs can i cook for her ?
Please advise. TIA :)

ast0212

At 7 months I gave my boy slices of soft fruit and steamed veggies. It was a lot easier at that stage, not really having to cook anything since he was just learning about food. He was just eating once a day anyway.

Maybe you can try plain natural yoghurt, or oats using oatmeal. You can also add in mashed fruits into it too.

Have fun, at this stage food is for learning about different tastes and textures, not much for nutrition as their main source of nutrition comes from milk in the first year :)

maichiang

how do u guys make porridge? add salt n all? i've been givin mi boi cerelac wid fruits(either avocado or banana) when he was 4mnths till now..so poor thing...

camom

No seasonings. I make stock using root veg like carrot, corn, etc or meat stock like chicken & pork. This stock is used to cook porridge. You can also steam pumpkin, carrot, sweet potatoes, etc and add to the porridge.

redjn

I cooked mashed potatoes, pumpkin and also ABC macaroni with chicken/fish stock adding on mashed carrot. my boy love it so much.

Hi,

Can i ask how long do you steam the pumpkin? this is my first time buying pumpkin and it's so hard to cut! i cut into cubes and steaming now.

whitecatz

You only need to steam pumkin for about 5-10min :D

I gave my baby new thing to try every week, just watch for allergies. Spinach only after 8mths because the it is a high-oxalate food that can block iron and calcium absorption from milk.

I let her try pears, green peas (steam, blend and pass thru sieve), broccoli, avocado, apples, oranges, watemelon, grapes, wholemeal bread with butter/avocado, carrot, pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, mackeral, cod, salmon, chicken breast, peaches, pork, etc... she was also drinking homemade soup, barley, like lotus root etc.

no salt please, their kidneys can't take it

You only need to steam pumkin for about 5-10min :D

I gave my baby new thing to try every week, just watch for allergies. Spinach only after 8mths because the it is a high-oxalate food that can block iron and calcium absorption from milk.

I let her try pears, green peas (steam, blend and pass thru sieve), broccoli, avocado, apples, oranges, watemelon, grapes, wholemeal bread with butter/avocado, carrot, pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, mackeral, cod, salmon, chicken breast, peaches, pork, etc... she was also drinking homemade soup, barley, like lotus root etc.

no salt please, their kidneys can't take it
thks for your advice, i didn't know spinach can inhibit iron and calcium absorption. will stop giving her till she is older.

whitecatz

Welcome! You can also mix some millet into the brown rice for porridge for variety btw. it is very high in protein and nutrients. Soak overnight with brown rice for more nutrient to be released :)

Whenever my boy take his meal, he will want to vomit.. So far I only gave him healthy times cereal stage 1, cerelac stage 1 and pasta star from heinz.. Is it because he doesn't like the taste? I know he loves roasted seaweed and white rice >.< whenever we eat those we will give him small pieces and he always want more .

glimmerhope

Hallo mummies, my son is approaching 7 month soon.. So far he has tried cereal and purees..and his intake of milk becomes 450ml to 550ml.. is that fine?
May i know what are your feeding schedule at 6 - 9 month?

whitecatz

Hallo mummies, my son is approaching 7 month soon.. So far he has tried cereal and purees..and his intake of milk becomes 450ml to 550ml.. is that fine?
May i know what are your feeding schedule at 6 - 9 month?
The information from AAP is that milk remains the main source of nutrient for infants <1yr. Cos they don't eat much below one year and ounce for ounce, milk is more nutrient complete and nutrient dense than most food.

So what I did with my baby was to maintain her milk intake while increasing her solid intake (per her appetite of course). I offer milk about 0.5hr -1hr before offering solids, so that she has enough milk.

Her milk schedule was like this below 1yr: abt 6.30am latch, 10am 150ml bottle (EBM), 2pm 150ml bottle (EBM), 5pm 120ml bottle (formula; I didn't manage to pump enough for this), 7:30pm latch. Night feeds latch if she wants.

Her food schedule was like this: everything to appetite. means that sometimes she doesn't want any or just a couple of mouthfuls.

715am breakfast. This is the meal I started first. usually fruit. added in carbs like wholemeal bread and cereal when appetite increase. I also intro new food at this time so that if she has reaction it will not likely affect her sleep too badly at night.

11:30am lunch. Veg first, then meat later, then porridge. I intro this meal last of all because initially it affected her 2pm milk.

5:30pm dinner. veg/fruit first, then include meat. This was intro'ed after I intro'ed breakfast.

After 1 year, I weaned off the 5pm milk feed, increased her porridge qty and introduced snacks after her 10am and 2pm milk.

Your bb may not be the same, so you will need to find out what works yah :)

whitecatz

BTW, if your baby persists in dropping milk like my niece's child who refused to drink more than 120ml each time, feed more nutrient dense & high fat food like avocado, ikan bilis for calcium (toast & grind to powder) and meat for iron. If he is not allergic to cow protein, then cheese and yogurt (full fat).

I can't feed my child cheese and yoghurt cos she is still sensitive to cow milk protein at 14mths :(

glimmerhope

The information from AAP is that milk remains the main source of nutrient for infants <1yr. Cos they don't eat much below one year and ounce for ounce, milk is more nutrient complete and nutrient dense than most food.

So what I did with my baby was to maintain her milk intake while increasing her solid intake (per her appetite of course). I offer milk about 0.5hr -1hr before offering solids, so that she has enough milk.

Her milk schedule was like this below 1yr: abt 6.30am latch, 10am 150ml bottle (EBM), 2pm 150ml bottle (EBM), 5pm 120ml bottle (formula; I didn't manage to pump enough for this), 7:30pm latch. Night feeds latch if she wants.

Her food schedule was like this: everything to appetite. means that sometimes she doesn't want any or just a couple of mouthfuls.

715am breakfast. This is the meal I started first. usually fruit. added in carbs like wholemeal bread and cereal when appetite increase. I also intro new food at this time so that if she has reaction it will not likely affect her sleep too badly at night.

11:30am lunch. Veg first, then meat later, then porridge. I intro this meal last of all because initially it affected her 2pm milk.

5:30pm dinner. veg/fruit first, then include meat. This was intro'ed after I intro'ed breakfast.

After 1 year, I weaned off the 5pm milk feed, increased her porridge qty and introduced snacks after her 10am and 2pm milk.

Your bb may not be the same, so you will need to find out what works yah :)

Tks for sharing :)

For my baby, the problem would be before every solid feed, he will drink as little as 20ml and reject milk totally.. seems like he is reserving his tummy for cereal/porridge..

His milk schedule nw

6am - 100ml
10am - cereal
230pm - porridge
630pm - 180ml
1030pm - 180ml
130am - 120ml

Should i replace the 230pm porridge with milk as he is drinking lesser now? Want him to drink at least 600ml advise by the PD..
Btw he is underweight currently 6.9kg @6.5 months..

whitecatz

thanks for sharing :)

For my baby, the problem would be before every solid feed, he will drink as little as 20ml and reject milk totally.. seems like he is reserving his tummy for cereal/porridge..

His milk schedule now

6am - 100ml
10am - cereal
230pm - porridge
630pm - 180ml
1030pm - 180ml
130am - 120ml

Should i replace the 230pm porridge with milk as he is drinking lesser now? Want him to drink at least 600ml advise by the pediatrician..
Btw he is underweight currently 6.9kg @6.5 months..
The amts you wrote adds up to 580ml, not too far from 600ml leh :)

He looks to be on a 4hr schedule; so basically you weaned 2 milk feeds (10am and 2:30pm) to solids, yah? Porridge is actually very filling. When I up'ed my daughter's porridge in the evening once she actually cut out one feed at night. If you remove it completely all of a sudden and he's eating a fair bit, you may find him waking up at night for more milk.

Or how about giving milk instead of cereal and bring forward the porridge? then maybe he will be able to drink a bit more.

You may need to experiment a bit.

glimmerhope

Ya he usually dun finish the bottle.. so average 450ml..
Yup maybe i might give milk instead of porridge @ 230pm.. as my son loves cereal..
I find that he dont really like porridge that much too..headache

kaerb

My son is facing the same issue. He lovessss his cereal and don't like his milk anymore. He used to be able to dunk 180ml per feed but now, to get him to drink 120ml also a challenge. His schedule is during the day he has 3 bottles + 2 cereal and at night when we pick him up from the babysitter, we will give him another round of cereal + breastfeed direct. I have tried to cut out one seving of cereal during the day and replace with milk, but he doesn't want. He just sit there and cry ... or he will drink a bit then cry until we bring out his bowl, suddenly his eyes become very big and he will start smacking his lips together and pounding his hands on the high chair.

Hi,

Can I check if we can give tomato to 7 month old baby?
If add fish into porridge, what kind of fish should we give? threadfin? cod fish? salmon?

ast0212

Hi,

Can I check if we can give tomato to 7 month old baby?
If add fish into porridge, what kind of fish should we give? threadfin? cod fish? salmon?
Tomato is high in acidity and is not recommended as a first food and the general 'rule' is at 10 months. If your baby has been trying other foods it is fine to take, however, make sure the tomato is cooked and watch out for any reaction. Raw tomatoes have a higher risk of a reaction.