What were you working as before you became a SAHM and do you miss working?

karoru

i was in a marketing team in one of the foreign bank in singapore....... this month is my first month to be a sahm... i don miss working but i miss the freedom of being able to enjoy my lunch time peacefully with my colleagues, miss the time when i can just visit the ladies as and when and etc... oh yes, not forgetting the pay of coz... as one mummy shares, we can always return back to workforce but once our kiddos grow up, this time will never be back anymore... so i still stick with my decision to be a sahm... i want to train, discipline, educate and nurture him during his growing up period... i think it is worth than anything else...

joeybeadz

No. On the contrary, i think many think that SAHMs are noble and willing to sacrifice their career to look after their little ones. They may not know how difficult it is to take care of children but at least what's clear to them is the sacrifice we have made.

I find that it is common for SAHMs to have low self-worth. However, when i compare my worklife to looking after my dd, i feel that looking after my dd is more fulfilling. There are challenges in looking after your child, and some of these challenges are even harder than those you face at work if you really sit down and think about it. The deadlines and the adrenaline you have and experience at work may be missing at home but you have the smile and cute little chuckles of your little one (of coz there's crying too). So SAHMs, let's not fret over what we've lost at work by becoming SAHMs. Instead, we should be happy that we have a chance to watch our little ones grow. When people tell me that i've wasted my degree and scholarship, i'd always tell them that it'd be a greater waste to not be able to watch my daughter grow up. I can go back to work any time (though probably never climb as high), but once my daughter has grown up, i can never turn back the clock. :Dancing_wub:
I just quitted my job as well and a new SAHM. I knew I missed my daughter's growing up phases as she is not close to me at all. I was very sad as this is something that I need to rebuild the confidence and trust she has with me. When she called me mama recently, I knew I never regreted.

joeybeadz

i was in a marketing team in one of the foreign bank in singapore....... this month is my first month to be a sahm... i don miss working but i miss the freedom of being able to enjoy my lunch time peacefully with my colleagues, miss the time when i can just visit the ladies as and when and etc... oh yes, not forgetting the pay of coz... as one mummy shares, we can always return back to workforce but once our kiddos grow up, this time will never be back anymore... so i still stick with my decision to be a sahm... i want to train, discipline, educate and nurture him during his growing up period... i think it is worth than anything else...
I was also from marketing in a local institute, it is my second month now.

ast0212

I used to work for a worldwide youth organisation. I processed forms and interestingly enough a lot of mothers of the children are SAHMs, just with different titles. From memory there were many Domestic Goddesses, Domestic Engineers, Home Economists and House Fairies.

Anyway, I don't miss working. I love being a SAHM as I find it so much more rewarding :001_302:

DodoTan

I was a teacher. Still considered one I guess since I'm on a 2-yr no-pay leave. Couldn't live with missing my son's milestones and his difficulties in the childcare so I made this decision now that I have 2 kids. There has been ups and downs being a SAHM. But mostly, I don't want my kids to grow up 'without parents' like many kids today. We all work such long hours that by the time we return home, we are so tired, we barely have any energy left for our kids. What's the point in having kids if we don't raise them ourselves?

apric0t

I used to work in the bank. I miss going to work cos I liked my job. If I had the chance to choose between being a working mummy and staying at home looking after my baby, I would choose the latter. Even though there is no income, at least I get to spend more time with my newborn. I do get stressful especially being a first time mum. But, I think it will get better as days go by.