What were you working as before you became a SAHM and do you miss working?

mackin

Before expecting, I was a preschool educator for 6 yrs. Hubby insisted me in stopping work when I was pregnant. I do miss working and of cos my $$. Everytime I wanted to buy something I like.....have to ask 'Do I need it or want it'.
On the other hand, if I go back to work, I would miss a lot in my son's growing up. Mixed feeling

jazz_sofia

i worked as a researcher in an american firm...and was just promosted...yes, i do miss working esp the pay cheque...but i could say that i am very fulfilled being a mom, taking care of my family...and, my hubby is very supportive esp on the financial part...

ktansy

I am a temporary SAHM. I was a teacher and what I missed most are the interaction with my colleagues and the intellectual stimulation I get at work.

Life at home with a very high-attention-demand 8mth old is another set of challenge. It's just the 2 of us for 10-11 hours most weekdays.

I think it's a great privilege to be a stay at home mum, especially when our husbands are supportive of us staying at home. One plus point of being a stay at home mum is that insurance agents & credit card promoters usually back off very quickly when I say I have no income. :D

My stay at home mum days will be ending very soon and I'l definitely be missing these days when I return to work at the end of June. Now honestly I cannot comprehend why i agreed to go back to work, albeit part-time, when what I had planned to tell my boss was that I wanted to extend my no-pay leave!! Argh!!

nasha

for myself, i was workin in the airport as a load control officer b4 i bcam a SAHM. Definately miss my friends and of course the pay at the end of the mth!

meiteoh

In Malaysia, I was an editor and then lecturer with a private uni. Then when I moved to Switzerland, I became a part-time language teacher (couldn't find a full-time job in my chosen field for a number of reasons), biz owner and house manager (nice word for housewife ).

Now with the baby on the way, I'm planning to be a S/WAHM for at least the first six months but it won't be easy coz my parents/relatives/some of my friends keep bugging me to go back to work when the baby is around two months old. In fact, my mum wanted me to leave my baby with her in KL while I work in Singapore and only go back to see my baby on weekends.

:wong7:

EnFlor

Oh, and one thing about NOT working - the number of people you know decreases dramatically. After all, the opportunities for networking are a lot less. Do you SAHMs think so too?

And when people ask me "So what do you do?" and I say I'm a stay at home mum, somehow they seem to lose interest in me.

Do you SAHMs experience this?

Hey there, i can fall in here coz in the right grp. :001_302: Yup, i totally agree with many of you here, now my link with my outside circle of friends is practically pathetic. Either i dont't have the time to hang out with my pals or even when they do invite me out after office hours, that will usually be my hectic time of the day, preparing for dinner + kids' showering time. Some things just do not click these days.

Also initial period kindda felt awkward to state homemaker in forms or when answering survey questions. Esp the part when the question asks about income bracket. Gosh! But now i have learnt to suck it up :tlaugh:

What i can do now is just to look at my framed-up degree plaque and my grad pictures. At least, i tell myself that these can serve as a motivation for my kids to strive more academically in future. And being 24/7 at home with the kids allows them to be guarded and perhaps help them to stay grounded.

Oh BTW, i can only say that i worked with youths and also similar to meiteoh which was language related job scope

Last edited:
I do miss working. :) I have consider wanting to work.. but I also miss looking after my boy. His smile brighten my days. So how??????

I enjoy the financial independence.

But

I also want to enjoy being with my boy.

Sigh!!!!!!

Hi hi.. I used to work at a foreign bank with a very busy lifestyle.. I'm now a stay home mom for about 2 months.. I married a Philippino. My MIL is suppose to return after her holiday in philippines but is extending her stay.. I'm suppose to work part time on Accounts when she return but now I'm not sure when she will return.. I find great difficulty adjusting to stay home lifestyle. I feel very unfulfilled and unchallenged.. Part of the reason is that I'm very task and result oriented.. My son is now 13 months and as all of you know, we have to be very relational with our children.. He loves to play but honestly, I don't enjoy playing that much.. I see many moms enjoying reading to their children but I don't really enjoy that.. I think it's a personality thingi. I feel so bad that I'm really a bad mom... sign... The reason I chose to quit my well paid job is that I really feel the need to spend more time with my boy.. My job is long hours and I hardly have time with my boy... Even though I'm still struggling with these issues... I never reget quitting my job... I just wish I can enjoy more.. Praying that God will help me each day.. Thankfully, I when for counseling at Focus on the family should helps alot.. Now just taking 1 day at a time..

Domique

Take one day at a time and you'll realised how time flies.

I am also feeling a little resentful when i became SAHM for a while.

At work, we have target and objectives to hit. But at home, despite the fact that we have objectives in mind for your little juniors, at times, we simply cannot achieve and its frustrating and feel lousy at times. Such as feeding our child. We simply cannot find the problem and solve it as compared to work, we seems to have better control and thus self fulfillment and satisfaction upon completion of the objectives.

But i think being SAHM, satisfaction will be different. Objectives have to be adjusted, mentality has gotta adapt. We will soon learn that how fortunate we are to see our little one grow day by day.

Satisfaction may be little things like them saying : I love you mummy!

Lets all work harder and enjoy our motherhood days and learn and excel to be super mummy!

Cheers!

Hi hi.. I used to work at a foreign bank with a very busy lifestyle.. I'm now a stay home mom for about 2 months.. I married a Philippino. My mother in law is suppose to return after her holiday in philippines but is extending her stay.. I'm suppose to work part time on Accounts when she return but now I'm not sure when she will return.. I find great difficulty adjusting to stay home lifestyle. I feel very unfulfilled and unchallenged.. Part of the reason is that I'm very task and result oriented.. My son is now 13 months and as all of you know, we have to be very relational with our children.. He loves to play but honestly, I dont't enjoy playing that much.. I see many moms enjoying reading to their children but I dont't really enjoy that.. I think it's a personality thingi. I feel so bad that I'm really a bad mom... sign... The reason I chose to quit my well paid job is that I really feel the need to spend more time with my boy.. My job is long hours and I hardly have time with my boy... Even though I'm still struggling with these issues... I never reget quitting my job... I just wish I can enjoy more.. Praying that God will help me each day.. Thankfully, I when for counseling at Focus on the family should helps alot.. Now just taking 1 day at a time..

Thanks Domique! Feel more comforted that someone identify with my struggles.. Thanks for your encouragement..I know that it's just a difficult stage for me right now.. U hit the right spot.. I can't help feeling so disappointed that my son don't eat at times even after trying to make feeding time fun.. makes me lose my appetite.. :( Will preserver indeed.. Can't wait for the day my boy say mummy I love u! :)

meiteoh

It can be a difficult transition to make - I had problems adjusting as well, mainly because of social and family expectations. My mum always thinks that I sit at home and do nothing every day.

What I did to cope with the whole SAHM thing was to pick up a lot of hobbies and give myself tasks/projects to do each day. So far, I've picked up knitting, spinning, dyeing, quilting and so forth, not to mention cooking and baking on top of the other things. And over time, I turn those hobbies into a small business. In other words, I make time for myself as well and not let my identity revolve just around my husband and family.

Don't ever feel that you should please others in all that you do...or even be made to feel guilty for being a SAHM or anything else. *hugs*

carin04

Alpha Male
hi, I'm 1 week into being stay at home mum..... and still surviving.....

Previously worked in accounts with long hours.... Had pondered on being stay at home mum for a year before I bravely decided on it. :Dancing_wub:

Have already wasted 7 years, pushing my gal around childcare & student care. Time to take her request seriously, ie - to stay at home.

Thank you Meiteoh for your encouragement. Appreciate your "Hugs" and advices.. I also started baking when I quitted my job... I look forward to weekends so that I can baked.. :) Indeed it helps to cope better being a stay home mom..

hi, I'm 1 week into being stay at home mum..... and still surviving.....

Previously worked in accounts with long hours.... Had pondered on being stay at home mum for a year before I bravely decided on it. :Dancing_wub:

Have already wasted 7 years, pushing my gal around childcare & student care. Time to take her request seriously, ie - to stay at home.
Bravo! :) Your Gal is so bless that you are willing to make this sacrifice! We will survive indeed! Take care.. :)

Domique

Think every mummy gotta go through this.
It not only made me lose my appetite and also patience to everyone. That includes my hubby. Plus he could not understand why mummy had to take it so hard that bb dun eat. Sigh....

So its good to voice out in mummysg and seek many kind understanding from all mummies here!

Somehow it balance me and dun make me feel lousy why I feel so sad when my bb dun eat.

:)

Thanks Domique! Feel more comforted that someone identify with my struggles.. Thanks for your encouragement..I know that it's just a difficult stage for me right now.. you hit the right spot.. I can't help feeling so disappointed that my son dont't eat at times even after trying to make feeding time fun.. makes me lose my appetite.. :( Will preserver indeed.. Can't wait for the day my boy say mummy I love you! :)

woofy55

Sorry, to repost my post from another thread to here. I hope to reach out to more mummies out there cos you may like what I wanna share. I'm a working mummy.. but I dread the look whenever i need to apply leaves to take care of my son. And so I am working towards a career switch.

Any mummies working in MLM here?

Actually there's nothing really wrong with MLM so long you dont't go and harass people and make ppl buy those that they dont't need. If the product is of use to me, I really dont't mind using it and later on share with others.

I am in MLM myself and I see a lot of professional people in it and making good living. Of course, there's NOOOO quick cash about it (if someone guarantee you quick cash, then you better be careful - cos it's scam). You need to network, you still need to put in effort. But it's a long term career... think of long term, dont't give up, you will see the fruits of your labour. And having financial and time freedom. No more bosses, no more waste time meetings... The meet up will be joyful cos you know you are sharing happily and making money for future. Also get incentive trips, and bring along your hubby and children.

And if you buy something that will benefit you, why not? I am trimmed down from 63kg to 56kg and my shape is nicer compared to exercising, even though everyone says exercise and diet is impt. But it doesn't make my shape nicer. Exercise unfortunately made me muscular and wear clothes will look like somo wrestler. So I'm happily sharing what I benefitted and those I shared with enjoyed the benefit as well even though they just wanna be users. Fine too~

Personally I find MLM is okay - just dont't go around harass people to buy it. And it's the fastest profession coming up. Many years ago.. insurance are also not agreeable by people.. but see how many people benefit from it.

If you wanted to try, but there's no one around you doing that and you dont't mind exploring.. let me know. The company i am is one of the most reputable company from US and we have good training team which won't leave you in lurch.

If you are shy, add me in msn to chat: woofy55@hotmail.com. or email me at shirsoh@gmail.com.

Last edited:

yongjy

hihi, i just turn SAHM lately (just like week) and have been calling myself "Director for Human Development" : )

I was a flight stewardess before. Now a mommy of two beautiful little girls. Before baby I travelled the world, shopped for designer bags in Paris and Milan had my fair share of adventures. I rode a horse through an open safari in Johannesburg, a camel at the pyramids in Cairo, crashed an Indian wedding in Bombay, sledded down the mountains of Switzerland, walked the romantic city of Paris, partied with the beautiful people of the world... do I miss it all, you ask.

No. I have the greatest adventure of it all right now. None of all I had experienced adds up to the joys of bringing up babies myself. Sure, I can't shop as I please anymore. Yep, it's a hard pill to swallow being a 'homemaker'. CPF? Nearly gone I suppose. Friends? See them only on Facebook. Am I complaining? Not at all. I love my girls so much everything else seems redundant. Material wealth can only bring me short term happiness.

I am extremely lucky to have a capable husband to head the family, allowing me to helm the home. I count my blessings everyday.