what's the 'maximum' milk intake for each feed?

apollo

Ds has been drinking 210ml FM each feed but recently he seems to be 'asking' for more aft finishing his milk..my mum asked me to increase to 240ml...

my qns is, so far i seen many babies drinking 210-240ml, even when they r 1yo a above.. i'm thinking tt ds's milk intake might INCREASE again 2-3 mths later, and i must gif him 270ml...

my fren said usually will just stop at 240ml... but ds's appetite is very SCARY! anyone giving 270ml for each feed? and 4 feeds per day??? is 270ml too much?? or ur just stop at 240ml???

diymummy

How many solid meals is your son taking? And how much of solids?

My son now at 13mths only drinks 500ml of milk a day with 2 solid feeds. 1 solid feed is 2 chinese bowl of porridge and 1 solid feed is 1.5 chinese bowl of cereal.

Before I increased his solids amount, he can take up to 800ml a day.

Maybe your son is thirsty? Have you tried introducing water or diluted juice?

Usually on the tin, there's a "recommended" feeding table which tells you roughly how much of milk that age group is drinking. You can use that as a guide.

apollo

How many solid meals is your son taking? And how much of solids?

My son now at 13mths only drinks 500ml of milk a day with 2 solid feeds. 1 solid feed is 2 chinese bowl of porridge and 1 solid feed is 1.5 chinese bowl of cereal.

Before I increased his solids amount, he can take up to 800ml a day.

Maybe your son is thirsty? Have you tried introducing water or diluted juice?

Usually on the tin, there's a "recommended" feeding table which tells you roughly how much of milk that age group is drinking. You can use that as a guide.
he is taking 2 solid food per day. morning cereal 4.5 tablespoon, afternoon porridge btwn 6tablespoon to abt 12tablespoon.. he currently is drinking 210ml 4 times per day which is abt 840ml per day..

yup i giving him water.. usually at least 20ml per day but i will try to make him drink 50ml- 100ml per day..:001_302:

kenxf_03

dear son has been drinking 210ml FM each feed but recently he seems to be 'asking' for more after finishing his milk..my mum asked me to increase to 240ml...

my qns is, so far i seen many babies drinking 210-240ml, even when they r 1yo a above.. i'm thinking that dear son's milk intake might INCREASE again 2-3 mths later, and i must give him 270ml...

my friend said usually will just stop at 240ml... but dear son's appetite is very SCARY! anyone giving 270ml for each feed? and 4 feeds per day??? is 270ml too much?? or your just stop at 240ml???
Hi apollo,

I suggest u to gradually increase ur son's milk intake to 240 ml 1st to observe for awhile?? Cos worried that ur son may not be able to take it. To me, 270ml may be abit alot! So I suggest, to increase gradually. Somemore, ur son is having 4 milk feeds per day, right?

Currently, I'm also increasing my 9mth old DS's milk intake to 240 ml cos he's wailing whenever we gave him 210 ml. We've been giving him 210ml since his 6mth old. Its only recently that he's asking for more than we gradually increase his milk intake loh.

He's currently having 2 solid meals per day with 2 or 3 milk intake and each time 240ml.

apollo

Hi apollo,

I suggest you to gradually increase your son's milk intake to 240 ml 1st to observe for awhile?? Cos worried that your son may not be able to take it. To me, 270ml may be abit alot! So I suggest, to increase gradually. Somemore, your son is having 4 milk feeds per day, right?

Currently, I'm also increasing my 9mth old dear son's milk intake to 240 ml cos he's wailing whenever we gave him 210 ml. We've been giving him 210ml since his 6mth old. Its only recently that he's asking for more than we gradually increase his milk intake loh.

He's currently having 2 solid meals per day with 2 or 3 milk intake and each time 240ml.
no lahh i wont increase to 270ml straight.. i'm just wondering, what if he want 270ml 2mths aft i increase his milk to 240ml... :tlaugh:

kenxf_03

no lahh i wont increase to 270ml straight.. i'm just wondering, what if he want 270ml 2mths after i increase his milk to 240ml... :tlaugh:

:tlaugh: hahaha..

actually, I have the same concern as u also.. But I tot since DS has been taking 210ml of milk for abt 3 mths+, and he's wailing for more recently, I tot he must have grow up le and need more, so gradually increase another 30ml loh.

Maybe u can increase to 240ml 1st then observe how it goes.. Maybe if really there's a need to increase and 240ml is not enough for ur DS. Then I suggest u check with ur PD better. Its the most safest to check with PD. :001_302:

apollo

:tlaugh: hahaha..

actually, I have the same concern as you also.. But I thought since dear son has been taking 210ml of milk for about 3 mths+, and he's wailing for more recently, I thought he must have grow up and need more, so gradually increase another 30ml loh.

Maybe you can increase to 240ml 1st then observe how it goes.. Maybe if really there's a need to increase and 240ml is not enough for your dear son. Then I suggest you check with your pediatrician better. Its the most safest to check with pediatrician. :001_302:
ermm actu horr my pd feels that ds has been drinking too much... cos his daily milk intake is 840ml.. and he is very fat and heavy so pd suggested me to gif him 3 solid meals per day and cut down 1 milk feed.. but i still feel that shd wait for him to reach 10mth or even 1yo then start 3meals solid foods. hehe...

kenxf_03

ermm actually horr my pediatrician feels that dear son has been drinking too much... cos his daily milk intake is 840ml.. and he is very fat and heavy so pediatrician suggested me to give him 3 solid meals per day and cut down 1 milk feed.. but i still feel that should wait for him to reach 10mth or even 1yo then start 3meals solid foods. hehe...

ya, I also found that 3 solid meals like abit too much le... But then how, when ur son is not having enough??

U mind sharing how heavy is ur DS??

apollo

ya, I also found that 3 solid meals like abit too much ... But then how, when your son is not having enough??

you mind sharing how heavy is your dear son??
he is now 10.6kilo, 8mths old.. lucky, cos his weight gain seems to slow down abit.. he used to weigh 9.6 kilo when he was 6mths old -.-""

mayb will just increase his milk intake to 240ml.. haha :tlaugh:

he is now 10.6kilo, 8mths old.. lucky, cos his weight gain seems to slow down abit.. he used to weigh 9.6 kilo when he was 6mths old -.-""

mayb will just increase his milk intake to 240ml.. haha :tlaugh:
Wah..... he must be a little michellin

My boys dont seems to gain weight...... now at 10 mths plus, they have not even reach 9 kg. <sigh>

They dont drink a lot, their daily milk intake is about 600 -700 ml with 3 solids.

Last 2 days my elder twin refuse to drink milk, most he drinks about 100 ml each feed, giving him milk each time is an uphill task....

So i envy those babies who can drink and eat well... good job to the mommies.

apollo

Wah..... he must be a little michellin

My boys dont seems to gain weight...... now at 10 mths plus, they have not even reach 9 kg. <sigh>

They dont drink a lot, their daily milk intake is about 600 -700 ml with 3 solids.

Last 2 days my elder twin refuse to drink milk, most he drinks about 100 ml each feed, giving him milk each time is an uphill task....

So i envy those babies who can drink and eat well... good job to the mommies.
yes! my SIL calls him michellin!! haha.. actu ur sons milk intake is okay cos they are hav 3 solid meals per day, not 2...

hmm if ur son refuses milk, mayb u can cut down 1 solid meal? =)

ping26

my baby girl, coming to 10 mth soon, weighs 8.5 kg.

Her max amt per feed is 180ml only. The rest goes down the drain. But she drinks 5-6 feeds (or 800-900ml) per day, 2 of which are in the middle of the night!

I gave her 3 solids when she started waking up for night feeds. That was when she was abt 7 mth, I think. She has porridge for breakfast & lunch. The last feed is usu cereal w fruit. Amt is abt 3 oz per feed, which is less than Regina mummy's 1 pigeon bowl.

I think as babies grow, some solids will help to fill up their growing tummies.

oh yes, she drinks easily 12 oz of water every day too...

and her weight & size is in bottom 20 %%% -.-"""

In short, Christine eats almost as much as Ashton but is a fraction of his size !

Last edited:

camom

When my gal was on fm, she drank 300ml per feed. Her total intake was more than 1.5 litres each day, on top of her normal meals.

ping26

The milk intake is a little astounding. hahaha...

There are sumo babies who are very strong.

I guess the most impt thing is your baby is active and learning as babies come in all shapes, size & appetite, etc...

At nine mth, as long as baby can sit up & crawl and learning to stand and babble, baby is doing fine. :wong19:

Maybe u can start to worry/think abt playgroups instead :)

camom

Ya, and the best part is, she didn't really gain wt from the time she was 9 mths old till she turned 2yo. Her wt was stagnant at 11kg.

Foxtrot

my son is 7.5 months old and is still drinking about 80-120ml per feed. Hasn't change since i think he was 2-3 months old? I still latch him on so its only when i give him EBM then i see his intake only 80-120ml. sometimes 120ml cannot finish. is it normal?

He feeds about 3-4 hourly and wakes up for milk at night, and i give him 2 solid meals of cereal and pumpkin, sweet potatoe, etc a day, each time about 4 tablespoons mixed with equal amounts of water. his weight is about 9-10 kg with my own weighing machine.

Ting

dearie, i will increase his solid intake instead.

as they grow older, n taking in more solid, their milk intake will drop.. dun worry. :)

jasobias

hey regina
i think u shld up his solids already.Coz even though milk is impt..its obvious tht ur baby does not get full after drinking it n thts why u have to keep increasing it.

apollo

dearie, i will increase his solid intake instead.

as they grow older, n taking in more solid, their milk intake will drop.. dont worry. :)
hey regina
i think you shld up his solids already.Coz even though milk is impt..its obvious tht your baby does not get full after drinking it n thts why you have to keep increasing it.
yup, i've increased his solid intake. lik porridge, he used to take 5tablespoons but nw he can take up to 10tablespoon and sometimes even 1 small rice bowl!! i was shock when he can finished it but my mum said as long as he didnt reject, and didnt puke or show any bloatness, is okay. and despite finishing up the bowl of porridge, he still can finish his milk 3hrs later.. hehe..:tlaugh:

Stan

yup, i've increased his solid intake. lik porridge, he used to take 5tablespoons but now he can take up to 10tablespoon and sometimes even 1 small rice bowl!! i was shock when he can finished it but my mum said as long as he didnt reject, and didnt puke or show any bloatness, is okay. and despite finishing up the bowl of porridge, he still can finish his milk 3hrs later.. hehe..:tlaugh:
very good leh..... i mean good that he has such hearty appeptite, right??....
I always wrestling with my Kayla cos she dont want her milk...... But she will swallow saliva when she sees our food and us eating away!!:tlaugh: