What's Wrong With Single Mother Finding A Job?

MummyBeL

Hi,

I'm 25 years old and having a 2 months old baby.
Currently looking for jobs and when to a lots of interviews but got insulted through the process or not been selected.
It's so hard to find a jobs when you told them that you are Single Mother. No matter what valid reasons given they said is not good enough.
What's wrong with Single Mother finding a job? I'm so depress. Sigh.. :(

quincy1986

if you reveal you are a single mother on your job interview they will not put you as priority for the position
employers will worry that you will have a heavy commitment on your baby and have difficulty focusing on your job.

ftlad

Even if you are married and have no kids yet, they will ask whether you are planning for kids. If you are married with kids, they will ask whether you are planning for a 2nd one or 3rd one or 4th one.

Our government encourages us to have kids but companies seem to have discrimination against women having kids. :(

MummyBeL

I totally agreed with it. Now i understand why singaporean is so unhappy about this things and money pay wise.

quincy1986

i have a colleague who has been married for many years already.
heard that she recently then admit that she is married. power.

MummyBeL

Don't understand why society wanna squeeze out Single Mother. It's so unfair. We also woman.
Why married woman have a better advantage then us. Sigh.. It all reality in Singapore. :(
Haven't get a job, already spend alot of money on travelling...

Iqa

So true,if say have bby is abit hard.especially ur dd is only 2mths..they'll give lots of reasons..dnt say,they wont check bah..all the best dearie :)
Xoxo

MummyBeL

but the problem is that if you don't say, you also need to fill up your family particulars... hmm should i leave blank instead?

IvyWong

Hi what job you are looking at? coz I have vacancy in retail, flexible hours... do let me know if you are interested :)

yapck

Bel,

I feel that you should leave your application NIL or NA . However, they are able to trace from IRAS , if you put "Spouse/Wife/Husband" as one of component in your tax waive.

I am a single father and I think our society is still not open to this class of people....They never thought of why , how and the causes to your marriage breakdown. I came from a proper family , no divorce , no scandal , no affair happen in my family , I went through proper education like typical singaporean....I never thought one day i will be going thru divorce as I always put on a tinted glasses on divorce / divorcee / divorced males when I was young. Now I know , its hard for people to understand when they never experience the pain.

Like I always told people around me, never give up in life, as long as your are breathing, there is always hope in life :)

quincy1986

i would like to highlight that some HR managers are particular if you did not fill up everything.
i ever encounter one. i still remember his name. just give you his initials: DL.
i left blank because i felt it's not important. why must let people know who my mama who my papa?
(i was not married yet at that time)
the HR manager excuse is, oh we are ISO certified company. all forms must be fully filled.
and then he will be very sarcastic and go "what is there to hide?"

Iqa

Quincy,next time ans back,'why is there a need to know?' Lol..i also find it no meaning to write down lor..doesnt have anything to do with our work mah..

I worst still,they say no experience canot work..i told the person off,'if everyone like this,dnt want to hire me,how to have experience?'
Stupid lorr..