What's Wrong With Single Mother Finding A Job?

MummyBeL

ya same as me.. i guess i'm not strong enough.. every question they ask i felt hurt and my eyes rolling tears down.. :(

MummyBel

jiayou!
i am also a single mummy looking for jobs...
went for 2 interviews, dunno is it due to my single mummy status, but i have not got any luck in getting new jobs too..

i didn't indicate anything on my CV... But as a HR personnel myself, it is recommended that you put your child details down as your family member...
becoz you dun wan later when they offer you the job, then realize this... they might say that you did not declare correct details...

i know that kind of hurt feelings.. so i always try to be strong and confident in answering.
have the nothing-to-be-shamed-about attitude....

MummyBeL

Hi dumbocarebear,

Thanks for the comfort and encouraging. Really appreciated. :D
Went for a lots of interviews and now my face getting more thick. No choice as I really wants to get a job to raise my baby.. :)

smiley

Hi Bel,

Yes, I totally agreed that is it not easy to look for job especially this year is also economic crisis. Just an advice, it will be better job opening after the lunar new year.
will be praying for you to land a job soon. Keep looking don't lose hope.

just me
smiley:)

Ting

hmmmm so far i didnt have any problems with finding a job due to my single mum status.. i guess i was lucky. :) good luck to the rest looking for jobs! to me i personally find nth to hide n i told my interviewers that my girl is in childcare so there wont be any issue on that. =)

MummyBeL

Hi Smiley,

Thanks for the encourage. I hope after CNY i really got a job.

Hi Ting,

I'm guess you are lucky. I did told the interviewers the same things but it did not success on me. :)
I guess I'm gonna to try hard for my luck. :D

Djj

single mother

Don't feel discourage, you just need find one gd employer And you will hav the help all the way on the single mother journey.

BubbaMama

You should tell them that you are a single mom thats why you need to work harder to maintain a 'double income'. Sell yourself that you are independent and is resilient enough to carry through this. You have family support and all you need to do is bring the dough back home.

MummyBeL

Yup i did told them but they still didn't hired me. Quite sad. I have been going interview for 6 times but still no news. I will not give up easily.. :)

yapck

Yup i did told them but they still didn't hired me. Quite sad. I have been going interview for 6 times but still no news. I will not give up easily.. :)
I believe competancy is more important than a person's background , at the end of the day , meeting the job / task target is afterall the most important.

Sometimes, you dont have to answer directly to a question.

quincy1986

end of interview u can tell them that i dont know if i am too young or because i am a single mother. i have been looking around and no answer. so i really wish i can get this job and be able to perform for you. sometimes sympathy points can help :)

yapck

end of interview u can tell them that i dont know if i am too young or because i am a single mother. i have been looking around and no answer. so i really wish i can get this job and be able to perform for you. sometimes sympathy points can help :)
I dont agree with what you said.
instead she should sell or advertise her own competency in suiting this job role. A candidate needs to stand out in terms of skills, communication , and experience to win a job title.

You dont have to answer directly , you can share your past relevant experience of how you can excel in this job role.
you can also mention what you can do to contribute to the organization and to bring greater heights to the company.

when you advertise yourself dont sound like you are begging or desperate , do it with style.

you can talk cock with the interviewer and demonstrate how much you are interested in this job , can talk cock but dont always talk cock

all these come with practices

quincy1986

@yapck
actually my friend also did to garner sympathy points. and he got the job. my current boss also prefers people who seem frank and honest.

Last edited:

BubbaMama

Listen, if the company doesn't accept you and hire you base on your merits, then they are not worth working for. You wanna work for a company which is family oriented and yet give you the opportunity to excel and make your dough.

MummyBeL

BubbaMama:752635 said:
Listen, if the company doesn't accept you and hire you base on your merits, then they are not worth working for. You wanna work for a company which is family oriented and yet give you the opportunity to excel and make your dough.
Hi BubbaMama,

This also what I'm thinking. Now felt tough and when alot interviews and I have use to how people look on me. I just hope I can get a job asap to settle my income. :)