When did you stop swaddling your child?

Pinkliciouz

My son is already 3 months old and I tried on several occasions, to not swaddle him when he sleeps but whenever I do that, he tends to have a very short sleep at night, waking up every 1hr, if I swaddle him, he can sleep for 3hrs at a stretch...

My mom keeps telling me to stop swaddling him so that he can "grow" cos we're like binding him up. But if I don't swaddle, he is unable to sleep well... So I am in a dilemma...

Appreciate mommies here to share their experience and advices...

ling.er

Last time i also carry & swaddle my son to slp.. Is very tired , Y nt try Yaolan? At least can slp longer .. Try nt carry ur baby too much. They will get use to it.. Like my son nw.. Keep wan ppl carry ... Hand aching @@

candy_ian

Have u tried putting your baby to sleep on tummy? My son never liked swaddling n he takes real short catnaps until we put him on his tummy before he turned one month n he can sleep longer naps ever after that

Pinkliciouz

My son's schedule before his sleep is this:
1. Carry him until he falls asleep (usually takes about 30 - 45mins)
2. Swaddle him in his sleep
3. Lay him on my tummy for 15mins to put him to deep sleep (i tried putting him in his cot straight after swaddling and he keeps crying for me to carry so I learnt the trick to get him to fall into deep sleep is to let him sleep on my tummy 1st)

My son has difficulty falling asleep everytime. I tried night feeds, aroma spray for babies to sleep better, night bath, singing... But as long as he isn't swaddled up, he tends to keep waking up. I dont't know if this is normal because I see my friends/cousins kids, all stop swaddling at 2nd month...

Pinkliciouz

Last time i also carry & swaddle my son to sleep.. Is very tired , Y not try Yaolan? At least can sleep longer .. Try not carry your baby too much. They will get use to it.. Like my son now.. Keep want ppl carry ... Hand aching @@
I only use the swing in the daytime... When he wants to sleep at night, he will want to be carried by me. If someone else is carrying him, he will keep crying for at least 30mins and only fall asleep after being tired out from the crying... If I put him in the swing at night, he will cry and scream until I carry him... My mother says my son already recognise my scent and will look for me whenever he wants to sleep...

apollo

pinklicious, u have to let ur son get used to it, he cant be swaddled for whole life right? it will be very tedious for u to wake up every 1 hr at night but trust me, after sometime, he will get used to it and slowly slp longer. =)

doraemn

My son gg to turn 2 mths n i still swaddle him when he slp as hv kinda same situtatiin as pinklicous... After gettg him to slp n if i dun swaddle, he will like get shock n wake up after his about 10 - 15mins slp.... I would also like to get rid swaddle but he does slp when swaddle... Hw hw hw?? In a dilema...hw long shld i swaddle or hw nt to make him shock? My hub againist yao lan...

ast0212

2 weeks for my daughter because it was just too hot. She never really startled much either so she was fine with it. With my son it was about 2 months. He hated it after a month but to let him try to sleep better I insisted he be swaddled. After much struggling I left him to it and let him get over the moro reflex.

doraemn

I juz tried nt to swaddle my son but he juz dun slp in the noon...slp awhile n wake up.. So did the swaddle n he slp at least 2 to 3 hrs... My mum sae he really gt startled as he got like greenish vein btw his 2 eyebrws (dun koe hw to describe well)... Haiz...

missyqiqi

I stop swaddle my daughter almost 4 months, because she will be like fighting in the air, scratch her head until bleeding.. -.- its ok to do that.. then slowly i don't swaddle her too tight until she slowly get use to it. I let her sleep on her own. So i don't carry her or pat her to sleep, just swaddle to her longer to make her feel protected then slowly loosen it until now she kick away blanket.

pixie

I tried swaddled my baby when she was 2 months old but she didn't like it and since then, I stopped. so strictly speaking, I only tried it on her for a few minutes.....LOL

My mum said newborns need to be swaddled like what hospitals did. But my MIL said no need. So after my baby came back from the hospital in Jan, he was not swaddled at home. Only when we needed to take him out, we would use a swaddle blanket till he was 1 mth old.

My baby boy used to be startled at sudden noises & his arms & legs would be up in the air. Like doraemn, my son also has a greenish vein on his noise bridge, between his eyes. I have asked PD if it's ok. PD said the skin is thin, so the vein will show. When the skin s thicker, then ok.

Yesterday, I saw that the behind of baby's ear has some scap - the old folks use to say that if a baby points at the moon (crescent), the moon will get angry & make a cut behind baby's ear. Scientifically, I think baby probably scratched himself with his nails, though my baby has been wearing mittens all these while. Since he's about 3 mths, we have decided to stop having him mittened. He needs to develop his hand coordination.

My boy was swaddled til 4mths old, in order to please my mother's traditional beliefs, since no harm to him, i'll let her have her ways. Mittens n booties on till 4mths old too.
But of cos not 24hrs. The first mth at hm, swaddle almost all the time. Only changing diapers he gets 'release' for few mins. 2nd mth onwards he's swaddled only when he naps or slp at night. We wrap firmly then throw inside 'yaolan'. Shake til he slps fifteen to thirty mins then leave him.
I have no issues with his developments at all. Motor skills, speech etc. N at 6mths plus he ownself rejects his sarong, so again, no issue with him getting addicted to sarong. We always shave him botak cos he sweats alot on hot days. People always comment his head shape very nice very round. All the swaddling n sarong, following my mother's method, actually helped...

I think whatever it is, its all abt striking a balance n taking the cue from yr baby. Those that r difficult to slp gets startled easily, i suggest try wrapping firmly n can use the sarong. Dont overuse like shake too hard all keep shaking throughout the slp. Rock slightly till baby falls aslp then leave it. It gives the baby a sense of security. Those babies who r able to slp peacefully, of cos no need to go through the extra trouble for all these.

xiaodaisy

i stop swaddling since the 3rd day i rch hm .. my baby is the type who dont like to be swaddled , she can wiggle n wiggle in hospital until the cloth get loose , once rch home we swaddle , she will gek until her face go red and wen she cant break free , she start to fuss ...

wen we stop swaddle her , she sleep until like pig =.=