When did your toddler drop nap altogether?

annie

my girl has not been napping for 3 days ( 2 days cos she woke up late at 1130am) and today though she woke up at 930am, she dosent look sleepy and didnt want to nap when i try to make her nap at her usual time.. she look totally awake and energetic! not yawning, not rubbing eyes, no decrease in activity level and all... i wonder if she is ready to drop her nap altogether. she has always not been a good napper since young. but she does well at night sleeping for a total of about 10-12hrs usually...

jasobias

sadly both my sons dropped their naps at 1 yrs old!!!They get by with abt 10 hrs of sleep at nite even up till today.No naps even if they r sick n on meds..hhahaha
baby girl is turning 1 soon..so worried she will too give up her measly 1 hr nap

apollo

ds is 13mth old but still having 2 nap, 1 to 1.5 hrs for each nap.. i think he cant do w/o any of the 2 naps..

i think if ur girl really dun wanna nap, there is nth much u can do also. as long as she can slp thru and also long hrs at night, i think shd be okay =)

annie

yea.. she totally dun look tired at all. not even a yawn or rubbing eyes! but then at night, she will wake up 2 times soon after sleep n cry. once around 15-30mins after she fall asleep and another time about 1hr after the first wake up.. i think she might be overtired thus keep waking up though she dosent seem tired at all whole day... if she does take a nap, she wont wake up crying at night after she fall asleep. at times she still will though (wake up once crying after she fall asleep for about 1.5hrs)

apollo

yea.. she totally dont look tired at all. not even a yawn or rubbing eyes! but then at night, she will wake up 2 times soon after sleep n cry. once around 15-30mins after she fall asleep and another time about 1hr after the first wake up.. i think she might be overtired thus keep waking up though she dosent seem tired at all whole day... if she does take a nap, she wont wake up crying at night after she fall asleep. at times she still will though (wake up once crying after she fall asleep for about 1.5hrs)
since that's the case, did u try to let her nap for awhile during daytime? sometimes ds is very tired but still wanna play and play, i will make him nap. cos he is really tried (rubbing eyes, yawn etc)..

i think mayb u can try to let her nao awhile like 30min and see if her waking up during midnight can improve? =)

STmummy

I didnt know that toddler will drop their naps. Thought it's always good for them to nap at least an hour and rest early at night with at least 10-12 hours of sleep. For my boy aged 17 months, he should be sleeping 13 hours per day.

(I use this as a guide:
How much sleep does your child need? | BabyCenter

My boy never misses his nap or should I say, I never allow him to miss his nap. Maybe because I 'force' him to do so. Personally I feel that as parents we should be the one to dictate the routine for them. Even when they dont seem tired or have any signs of tiredness, just 'drag' your kiddo to bed. Usually I will get my boy to bed after his lunch, and set the bedroom to help him go to sleep. Put on some lullaby, switch on the aircon, draw the curtain, sometimes with some aromatherapy oil. He will be 'talking' to me, roll around on the bed, but I do not allow him to go down the bed. So after about 15-45 mins (depending on how tired he is), he will doze off by himself and nap for at least 2 hours.

It wont be easy for the first few times you try. Even if he/she doesnt sleep, it's ok. But at least let your kid knows that it is time to rest. It will be good for both your kid and yourself (you get to rest too! or have your personal time while he sleeps).

Good luck!

Last edited:

annie

hi apollo and STmummy, i know i should let her nap at least a while to prevent an overtired baby at night and i did try to make her nap by doing wat STmummy said. in fact, i always does tat and yes she will be playing, rolling, talking etc and fall asleep after 15-30mins usually. at times she does need 1hr or so but then these few days she totally wont sleep even after 1.5hrs so i reckon she is really not ready to nap.. but i cant afford to let her nap too late as i need her to sleep early at night. i guess she might have been taking too much night sleep too recently so she dosent need a nap in the day.. she sleeps at 915-930pm then wake up only at around 11am.. she used to sleep at the same time but wake up around 830am and nap at 2pm...

STmummy

if my boy sleeps till 11+ am in the morn.. I also wont let him have his nap.. haha! just follow what you have been doing, I think you are doing an awesome job... (just went to your blog, u are a really good cook!)...:red:

maybe she's jus needed more sleep at night cos of growth spurt... heard some kids will be extremely tired when they are growing physical...

annie

yeah.. i dun let her nap if she wake up too late.. but yesterday she woke up at 930am so i let her go to nap around 230pm but she dun nap too.. play in bed till about 4 then we both come out of the bedroom. faint.. she's always not been a good napper (always dun nap long since newborn). hopefully she is not going to say bye bye to naps at this age! i need some time in the day to rest! lol.

good cook? no la.. my hubby always say my food is not for human consumption! lol

my mum was saying.. if i want her to nap.. then when she wake up for her morning milk around 730am then i should wake her up totally instead of letting her go back to bed so she might nap in the afternoon but then.. she look so drowsy at 730am! so i assume she still need more sleep.. so give her milk n she sleeps till 11am.. then wake up n play (fully charged lol)

apollo

another way is to wake her up early.. let her starts her day as early as 8-9am.. recently ds can goes to nap easier becos he started to wake up slightly earlier, 8+am instead of the usualy 9.30am..

annie

yea i wanted to do tat thats y put her down to bed earlier eg 9-930pm instead of the usual 10pm.. hoping that she can wake up earlier but then.. she wakes up at 1130am! wonder how she can sleep so much at night lol. so my mum suggest me to bring her to the living room when she wakes up for the morning feed at 730am which i dun really feel comfy doing so cos she still looks super drowsy.. if she has enough rest she will wake up alert n playing.. so i try to make her sleep earlier in hope of her waking up earlier naturally but yet.. 1130am. hai. she used to sleep at 10pm n wake up at 830am.. then nap around 2-230pm..

chiro

ever since he turned 1 year old,my son slept between 15 min to 1 hour, if bonus will sleep for 2 hours haha! Sometimes he dun even nap in the day time , according to mil
yea i wanted to do that thats y put her down to bed earlier eg 9-930pm instead of the usual 10pm.. hoping that she can wake up earlier but then.. she wakes up at 1130am! wonder how she can sleep so much at night lol. so my mum suggest me to bring her to the living room when she wakes up for the morning feed at 730am which i dont really feel comfy doing so cos she still looks super drowsy.. if she has enough rest she will wake up alert n playing.. so i try to make her sleep earlier in hope of her waking up earlier naturally but yet.. 1130am. hai. she used to sleep at 10pm n wake up at 830am.. then nap around 2-230pm..

annie

sigh.. my girl haven been napping since i posted this thread. today she woke up at 1030am and i tried to make her nap and she fell asleep around 345pm but then woke up after 15mins! tomorrow we will go to the beach and she usually will fall asleep on the way home (2hrs+) in the car. maybe too tired playing under the hot sun and cos she will have to wake up early at 8am or so in order to go to the beach. hopefully she nap tomorrow. if not she is gonna be super noisy in the car..:nah:

apollo

sigh.. my girl have not been napping since i posted this thread. today she woke up at 1030am and i tried to make her nap and she fell asleep around 345pm but then woke up after 15mins! tomorrow we will go to the beach and she usually will fall asleep on the way home (2hrs+) in the car. maybe too tired playing under the hot sun and cos she will have to wake up early at 8am or so in order to go to the beach. hopefully she nap tomorrow. if not she is gonna be super noisy in the car..:nah:
i personally feel that waking up at 10.30 or even 11.30am is abit 'late'.. maybe u wanna make it a habit to let her wake up at 8+ am daily? i'm quite mean, if ds 'overslp', i will just wake him up.. i will tell him "you will get to slp during your nap time but it's time for you to start the day alrdy"

annie

hi apollo, yes i agree that 1030 or 1130 is a bit late. in fact i feel its VERY late haha. she used to wake up at 730 but slowly becomes 830 which i feel is 'normal' but this whole week she has been sleeping in late though she went to bed early. i personally dont like the idea of waking up a sleeping baby as much as possible.. dun feel very comfy with it.. thats y i rather make her sleep earlier. sometimes as early as 830pm..in the hope of her waking up early in the morning...

apollo

hi apollo, yes i agree that 1030 or 1130 is a bit late. in fact i feel its VERY late haha. she used to wake up at 730 but slowly becomes 830 which i feel is 'normal' but this whole week she has been sleeping in late though she went to bed early. i personally dont like the idea of waking up a sleeping baby as much as possible.. dont feel very comfy with it.. thats y i rather make her sleep earlier. sometimes as early as 830pm..in the hope of her waking up early in the morning...
hmmm okay, i think i explain this way, mayb u can get the picture...

now she wakes up late, of cos she will slp late... what i suggest is, u try to wake her up at 8am everyday.. den let her have 1 nap in the noon. dun have to be long, i think just 1 hr will do. and u see if she can slp earlier at night. cos if a routine is not set by parents, i think it will kind of 'mees up'.. there might be chances that she might wake up even later and slp later at night..

DodoTan

My son usually sleeps around 8.30pm to 9.30pm and will wake up between 6.30am to 7.30am Rarely will he sleep till 8am. Normally, he would nap for about 2hr around 11am or a bit later. But recently, he doesn't want to nap at all. Then by 5-6pm like that can tell that he's very tired lor. Even force him in the bed also no use. Today I was in his room with him for 1.5hr!

annie

hmmm okay, i think i explain this way, mayb you can get the picture...

now she wakes up late, of cos she will sleep late... what i suggest is, you try to wake her up at 8am everyday.. then let her have 1 nap in the noon. dont have to be long, i think just 1 hr will do. and you see if she can sleep earlier at night. cos if a routine is not set by parents, i think it will kind of 'mees up'.. there might be chances that she might wake up even later and sleep later at night..
hihi apollo, my girl dosent sleep late at night.. she always sleeps at 930pm no matter what time she wakes up in the morning. the only difference is if she wakes up early, she takes a nap around 1-1.5hrs. if she wakes up late, she doesnt take any naps.(if she wakes up at 830am, then she will take a 1-1.5hrs nap so total sleep is around 13-13.5hrs. if she wakes up late 1030am, then she dosent nap. total sleep already clocks a 13hrs) thats the only difference.night sleep is always the same time and she goes down easily.

today i bring her out, let her walk instead of sitting in her pram and then when she look tired, i get her to sit in her pram hoping that she takes a nap but NO! faint. she dosent take her nap.. very active in her pram.. usually she
KO immediately in pram when she is tired of walking.. she haven been napping for the whole 1 week. i guess maybe she really is ready to drop her nap.. i'll keep trying to make her nap this week and see how. if still fail im gonna stop making her nap anymore since she dosent seem to need it..

annie

My son usually sleeps around 8.30pm to 9.30pm and will wake up between 6.30am to 7.30am Rarely will he sleep till 8am. Normally, he would nap for about 2hr around 11am or a bit later. But recently, he doesn't want to nap at all. Then by 5-6pm like that can tell that he's very tired . Even force him in the bed also no use. Today I was in his room with him for 1.5hr!
haha dodo, maybe your son is ready to drop his nap too hehe. but then he look tired in the evening unlike my girl.. she looks totally energetic even at her bedtime at 930pm! but she does goes down to bed very easily after bath hehe.