When Should I Start Feeding My Baby Solid Foods?

shuzhen

Ideally, babies should start solids only when they are 6 months old, not 4 months. Reason being, their gut is still immature when they are below 6 months old so they are more prone to getting allergy, indigestion, infection and other illness. Protection of breast milk also decreases once you stop giving total breast milk. Babies' nutrition comes from breast milk below 1 year old, so let's not be too eager to start solids. You can read here for more info on why we should delay solids: kellymom.com :: Why Delay Solids?

I attended workshop on babies weaning. According the PD, we can start giving semi-solid food once the baby is ready to wean. Not necessery to start on the 6 mths.At the workshop, there was a baby started his semi-solid when he was not even 4 mth. The PD said is ok as long as the baby's body can accept the food. But the first food to intro to baby must be brown rice cereal. Feed the baby for 4 days ( 1 tablespoon with 20ml of milk) to observe if he is allergy to it. If he fine with the cereal then we can increase the portion.When they are 6 mth, we can feed them with porridge mixed with fish or veg.

MummyJun

I gave my boy si sen brown rice powder when he was 4months+. My paediatrician says he is ok. I prepared to watery and add with my milk. Now he's nearly a years plus, I prepare thicker and mix with formula, sometimes yam, sweet potato, carrot.. He loves it. :)

Shin3380

My boy is 6months plus now, started him with nestle baby rice and pumpkin puree etc.... Eventually he's ok, but recently don't know why he'll vomit out the food.... Can see that's he's hungry, but not sure with the cause

bunnytay

bunny eve

Wat food contains iron? I breast feeding for 6mths n now starting to give baby cereal..my fren ask me to buy vitamin d drop for my baby, shld I?
From one cereal to another type of cereal how long shld be? When can start twice a day feeding cereal?

Re: bunny eve

what food contains iron? I breast feeding for 6mths n now starting to give baby cereal..my friend ask me to buy vitamin d drop for my baby, shld I?
From one cereal to another type of cereal how long shld be? When can start twice a day feeding cereal?
hello bunnytay!

I've got 2 recipes to recommend you: Potato purée and sweet potato purée! Both potato and sweet potato are rich in iron and these recipes are fantastic for 6 months old and above. But since you posted in January, I think your baby should be around 8-9 months old now? At around 9 months, your baby should be able to start taking more solid foods like congee, mangoes, etc. Let me know if your baby likes these recipes =)

Happy cooking and feeding baby!

Lynn2010

Dear mummies,

You may want to check out this book "Mummy, it's Yummy" which is a collection of baby food recipes/ ideas. It is available at Mums & Babes stores and online stores.

Check out on their facebook.

Hope this helps. :)

jasmineseow

Re: bunny eve

Wat food contains iron? I breast feeding for 6mths n now starting to give baby cereal..my fren ask me to buy vitamin d drop for my baby, shld I?
i have also a baby of 1 year old now, i usually feed her vacuum dried fruits that are 100% pure and free of preservatives and gluten free, so that my baby gets all the nutrients he needs! I got mine from FruitSpree: Greenday Fruit Chips - Online Store - Singapore - Delivery – FruitSpree, it sells fruit chips that are rly tasty that i myself like it alot! my baby loves it alot! i usually put it into milk so that it gets softer and easier for my baby to swallow :)