When to introduce solids to babies that were preemies?

anabella

Hi.. I'm a mother of twins.. They were born exactly at 35 weeks. The girl was 1.9kg & boy was 1.6 kg. Now they are 2 weeks short of their 4 months bday. The girl now is 5.6kg while the boy is only 4.2 kg. I wonder if introducing solids at 4 mths is ok or is it considered too early as they are preemies. Would the boy benefit from taking solids as in he will gain more weight? Any input or advice?

kathtan

Check with your paed. My twins were out at 30 weeks and when they were home, they were about 2 and 2.1kg. They caught up quite fast,( 50percentile) and I just let them try out solid at 7mths. I am not too concern about weight gain so long they are healthy. My eldest was a prematured at 32 weeks too and he too caught up after a few months.

diymummy

Generally it is recommended to start solids and 6 mths as well as to look out for the other signes of readiness shown by the child eg, being able to sit up somewhat. Refer to Introducing solid food | BabyCenter for more info.

My son was born at 36wks. Considered borderline preemie. He started solids at 5.5mths.

pinkiepiglet

u must consult your PD. as my twin gals were born at 32weeks. so i am supposed to minus 8 weeks off their actual age to count as corrected age.

so now even tho my gals are almost 14mths. their corrected age is only 12 mths.

i started solids for my gals at 20weeks Corrected. but they were already 7mths actual.

PinkDiamonds

I believe the recommended age to start your child on solids is a guideline. You'll also need to check for signs that your babies are ready to start. This can include showing interest when seeing you eat, being able to sit up and hold his/her neck, teething signs, salivating, etc.

The concern with introducing solids too early is because they baby's digestive system may not mature enough to handle it. So it's important to observe how your baby takes in the solids, and whether there seems to be any adverse effects after that, such as fussiness, rashes on body, difficult bowel movements, vomiting, etc.

Each baby is unique, even twins. My twins started solids are different times. It wasn't as easy to manage as when both started together though!

mike1982

u must consult your PD. as my twin gals were born at 32weeks. so i am supposed to minus 8 weeks off their actual age to count as corrected age.

so now even tho my gals are almost 14mths. their corrected age is only 12 mths.

i started solids for my gals at 20weeks Corrected. but they were already 7mths actual.
me & my wife start to let our daughter try @ 6 mths..at least she's receptive to it thus far...but anyone has problems letting them try different porridges e.g.mashed up version of chicken vs fish?