When toddler dun eat~

annie

when your toddler dosent eat for a meal, do u give them other food to fill their tummies or let them starve till next feeding? i got a fussy eater at hm n sometimes she dosent even want to open her mouth for meals.. very piss with her.. dunno if i should just let her starve till she happy so she will understand that if she dun eat, she will go hungry till she happy or should just let her snack on other things in case she is hungry... wondering wat mummies here do?

autumn82

I think there are mummies out there who does both methods (keep away until next meal or snacking) that you've mentioned. :p

Personally, I do the 'keep away until next meal' thing for Belle. I give her 30minutes to finish her meal. Time's up and I'll just keep away whatever left. No snacks except plain water until the next meal. Usually, if she doesn't take much during lunch, she will swallow down her dinner, followed by fruits and milk. :p

I don't fancy giving some snacks coz I feel they might develop a bad habit of not eating proper meals. :001_302:

Phoebii Cheng

Cos' my son is at CC, normally he will hv his meals with his friends at the CC, then dinner he won't eat, so just give him milk....

During weekends when he don't want to eat his lunch or breakfast, I will just give him milk.....

I wanted to not to give them anything till next meal, but somehow I feel that if they really hungry then won't say it will not be good for their stomach....will they develop gastric?

annie

annie, what's your girl's feeding schedule you planned for her? =)
wake up 830am (milk)
930am breakfast
1230pm lunch
230pm nap
430pm light snack
630pm dinner
930pm sleep(milk)

free flow of breastmilk anytime of the day lol

Ting

for me, i will do the same as aut dearie if my kid doesnt eat due to fussiness.
but for pin, her "dont eat" is usually eaten 1/2-3/4 of the food, so if the rest she doesnt finish i just take away.
if in btw she ask for snacks, i will give her.

annie

I think there are mummies out there who does both methods (keep away until next meal or snacking) that you've mentioned. :p

Personally, I do the 'keep away until next meal' thing for Belle. I give her 30minutes to finish her meal. Time's up and I'll just keep away whatever left. No snacks except plain water until the next meal. Usually, if she doesn't take much during lunch, she will swallow down her dinner, followed by fruits and milk. :p

I dont't fancy giving some snacks coz I feel they might develop a bad habit of not eating proper meals. :001_302:
i also realised sometimes my girl also eat dinner very fast n eat alot of she skip her lunch. but at times she just dun take for both meals.. maybe cos i give her milk n snacks in between cos i worry she hungry..

so if belle dosent eat at all or less than half a bowl u also keep till next meal? no milk in between?

Ting

annie, u give her snacks when she ask or when she doesnt??
if she nvr ask then dont give. when they r hungry they will ask for food. :)

apollo

wake up 830am (milk)
930am breakfast
1230pm lunch
230pm nap
430pm light snack
630pm dinner
930pm sleep(milk)

free flow of breastmilk anytime of the day lol
izzit possible to shift the snack time earlier? or gif her lesser? she is still having BM in btwn 12.30 to 6.30 right?? if having BM in btwn den maybe u wanna let her skip the snack?

for ds,if he dun eat his proper meal, no snacks for him until he takes his proper meal. hehe..

annie

her snack is not really snack lo. its things like some tofu/1 pc of cheese/ some veg n meat stir fry etc. she nap from 230-4pm so cannot shift snack time. she constantly ask for cornflakes.. practically snack on it whole day..

autumn82

i also realised sometimes my girl also eat dinner very fast n eat alot of she skip her lunch. but at times she just dont take for both meals.. maybe cos i give her milk n snacks in between cos i worry she hungry..

so if belle dosent eat at all or less than half a bowl you also keep till next meal? no milk in between?
Yes, if she doesn't take much or nothing at all, I won't give her anything at all except water, until her next meal. I told her, this is the consequence for not eating your meals. :)

She tried once only, never eat much. And after that, no more, she will try to finish her food asap.

Yes, prob coz you give her milk and snacks in between, that's why she's full? :)

annie

dunno her... she keep asking for bm n cornflakes.. hai..but usually she has been snacking whole day on bm n cornflakes yet she eats her meals well.. i think its not a problem with being hungry or not. simply fussiness...

when did u start belle on tat? wondering if my girl understand this consequence or not.. so u dun give her milk even before her naps?

autumn82

dont know her... she keep asking for breast milk n cornflakes.. hai..but usually she has been snacking whole day on breast milk n cornflakes yet she eats her meals well.. i think its not a problem with being hungry or not. simply fussiness...

when did you start belle on that? wondering if my girl understand this consequence or not.. so you dont give her milk even before her naps?
I started Belle on this only when she was 5years old where she took soo long to finish her food. Need to train her for P1. :)

She doesn't take naps anymore. Usually for Belle, her daily intake of food consists of 3 meals, 2 glasses of milk and 2 serving of fruits after her meals. I don't give snacks. :)

Ting

actually cornflakes can be very fulling.
i think u shld reduce her snacking thru out the day on BM n cornflakes.
stick to a schedule n for her snack time at 430, if it is really a light snack keep it really light or she might not be able to down her dinner.
i think just a pc of bread or some biscuits or 2-3 small pcs of fruit is good enough.

annie

her 430pm snack time i dun give her alot at all. just a pc of sliced cheese usually. at times i give her some stir fried minced meat n veg(small portion) only. but i think i will just drop this snack time n bring her dinner a bit earlier like 6pm instead of 630pm n see how. then she can snack all she wants after her dinner. hehe.