Where to learn baby sign language

lyra

Did you teach your baby sign language? Where can I go to learn baby sign language with my baby? Or are there good CDs to recommend? Thanks! I've heard of GRowing up gifted. Do they teach baby sign language?

ast0212

I taught my son a little when he was around 18 months as he wasn't talking yet and he was getting frustrated, so that helped a little. Mostly we used the word 'please' more than anything else, and 'drink' when he's thirsty. He picked up other words from action songs like spider, star, worm...pretty useless but cute heheh. Only helped when there's a spider or millipede in the house that he spotted. He started talking soon after so we didn't pursue sign language further.

I've only heard of this organisation that has DVDs, books and flashcards: Baby Sign Language Classes and Products Using Auslan | Australian Sign Language For Babies not sure if they post internationally though. It's good to start young even when they don't look like they understand. They probably are absorbing everything :)

marshmallows

U can start some simple signing to baby like tapping your fingers on your mouth and say nan nan etc for milk just before you bf or nurse him. Keep repeating it, and can also try taking his hands and tap on his mouth if he's willing. Then when starting solids u can start another new sign like tapping ur fingers against ur upper chest and say mum mum. Can always come up with ur own set of signing. It's fun! :)

lyra

Thanks! I learnt that baby can start when they are 6 months, so I'm looking out for some ideas on where to get materials or whether there are schools teaching these.

WinnieL

You can try the Smart Hands iPhone or Android app.
You can also read more about it from this site: Baby Sign Language
I started teaching some simple signs like 'drink', 'eat', 'hungry' to my girl when she was 6 months.