Which baby cereal?

apollo

Thanks Regina! I tried feeding my baby last Monday and yesterday with a rice cereal and he got irritated after a while of trying so i put him back to FM.

I read on this website (Age-by-age guide to feeding your baby | BabyCenter) that you can start introducing solid foods to babies frm 4 months old but must take note of the signs that they are ready :)

Signs of readiness for solid food
Your baby probably won't do all these things — they're just clues to watch for.
• Can hold head up
• Sits well in highchair
• Makes chewing motions
• Shows significant weight gain (birth weight has doubled)
• Shows interest in food
• Can close mouth around a spoon
• Can move food from front to back of mouth
• Can move tongue back and forth, but is losing tendency to push food out with tongue
• Seems hungry after 8 to 10 feedings of breast milk or 40 oz. of formula in a day
• Is teething

What to feed
• Breast milk or formula, PLUS
• Semi-liquid iron-fortified rice cereal, THEN
• Other grain cereals like oats or barley

How much per day
• Begin with about 1 teaspoon dry rice cereal mixed with 4 to 5 teaspoons breast milk or formula (it'll be very runny).
• Gradually thicken consistency and increase to 1 tablespoon dry cereal mixed with breast milk or formula, twice a day.Feeding tips
• If your baby won't eat the cereal on the first try, offer it again in a few days.
thks for the info.. but ds is not teething yet.. haha... but recently he has been waking up for night feeds, he has 'learn' to slp thru the night more than a mth ago.. my mum suggested me to feed him some cereal but i dont dare to take the risk...

diymummy

Hi Regina, my ds was also like that at 4mths. I didn't intro cereals then. I drag till 5.5mths but throughout the day I increased his milk intake. :) Until now my ds still has no teeth. He's already 9.5mths.

Mummy Geeh

thks for the info.. but dear son is not teething yet.. haha... but recently he has been waking up for night feeds, he has 'learn' to sleep thru the night more than a month ago.. my mum suggested me to feed him some cereal but i dont dare to take the risk...
haha mine also some signs are not showing yet so we are back with feeding him formula milk. but maybe ill try the rice cereal again on his 5th month :)

roosepuss

My ger is turning 6 month soon and is going to start on cereal. Can mummies tell me which brand and which type of cereal are you giving your baby? can also tell why you feeding baby that brand?

Too many type of cereal in the market, dont know which one is good.

When feeding baby cereal, do i need to give her some pureed?

Is brown rice a must? When do baby start taking brown rice?
Bellamy organic rice cereal seems to work wonders. Its from Australia. Once my third baby was given a spoon of this organic cereal she refuse other brands like Heinz. Must be the au natural taste.

After that home made food.

Juan

hi, I just bought "Healthy time" oatmeal cereal. Can I put mix this oatmeal cereal into the Formula milk and feed by bottle? My girl is taking the "Rabbit Moon" brown rice powder mixed with the FM with bottle. Evening time I cook the "Quacker" brand oatmeal for her and feed by spoon. Can I mix the healty time oatmeal cereal with the Quacker Oatmeal and feed by spoon?

diymummy

I personally feel that feeding solids by bottle could pose a choking hazard.

Usually when I try to mix things together I will try it myself first before feeding my baby.. Just so that I know it tastes good :)

apollo

any mummies started brown rice cereal for ur baby's 1st solid food??

cos i cant find Heinz rice cereal everywhere!!! am thinking of letting him try Healthy Times brown rice cereal, but at the other thread, stonston mummy mentioned that brown rice is quite diffi to digest (which is v true)... so am wondering any mummies started straight to brown rice and skip the rice one??

or any other recommendations??

i went to cold storage today and saw an organic brand. the box is blue on the top and the rest is white, a baby in the pic. forgot the brand name alrdy...

and anyone knows when Heinz rice cereal will be out in the market again??

Frenchkitty

Regina, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, they recommend starting baby first on cereals in this order:
- rice cereal (white or brown rice)
- oatmeal cereal
- barley cereal
Wheat & mixed cereals should be introduced last to minimise risk of allergy.

So far my son has no problems with Healthy Times brown rice cereal. Brown rice is healthier than normal rice .. if you are BFding I dont think you need to be worried about indigestion because BM has water and probiotics to aid in digestion.
When your dear son is slightly older he will be eating fruit puree already so with the added fiber will help even more in digestion

apollo

Regina, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, they recommend starting baby first on cereals in this order:
- rice cereal (white or brown rice)
- oatmeal cereal
- barley cereal
Wheat & mixed cereals should be introduced last to minimise risk of allergy.

So far my son has no problems with Healthy Times brown rice cereal. Brown rice is healthier than normal rice .. if you are BFding I dont think you need to be worried about indigestion because breast milk has water and probiotics to aid in digestion.
When your dear son is slightly older he will be eating fruit puree already so with the added fiber will help even more in digestion
i'm no longer bf-ing... i saw the Healthy times brown rice box, it says it's easy to digest, but i dont know hw true it is... u feed ur baby brown rice once he started solid food or u start with normal rice?? if start with normal rice, aft hw long then u start brown rice??

any good (normal) rice cereal to intro other than Heinz? ARGHZ! I cant find Heinz rice cereal at all!!! dont know when then will hav stock =( hopefully b4 ds turn 6mths pleaasssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee~~~~~~~

Frenchkitty

Regina, i straight away started with the Brown rice cereal n had no probs with indigestion.

You can buy this brand called Bellamy?? It has normal rice cereal suitable for 4mths onwards and normal rice porridge for 6mths n above.

apollo

Regina, i straight away started with the Brown rice cereal n had no probs with indigestion.

You can buy this brand called Bellamy?? It has normal rice cereal suitable for 4mths onwards and normal rice porridge for 6mths n above.
Bellamy can get from any supermarl\ket?? is it good?? anw thks for ur replies :001_302:

Frenchkitty

Regina, yes Bellamy can be bought from Cold Storage.. I nvr let my son try before cos all along he eats Healthy Times.. Next week I'm supposed to try new foods for him cos I wanna expand his diet already.. By the time I get to it I update you and let you know :001_302:

apollo

Regina, yes Bellamy can be bought from Cold Storage.. I never let my son try before cos all along he eats Healthy Times.. Next week I'm supposed to try new foods for him cos I wanna expand his diet already.. By the time I get to it I update you and let you know :001_302:
thks so much! i not sure whether i have seen that b4 but maybe could be the same we r toking abt.. haha...

snowbear

any mummies started brown rice cereal for your baby's 1st solid food??

cos i cant find Heinz rice cereal everywhere!!! am thinking of letting him try Healthy Times brown rice cereal, but at the other thread, stonston mummy mentioned that brown rice is quite diffi to digest (which is very true)... so am wondering any mummies started straight to brown rice and skip the rice one??

or any other recommendations??
Actually I think Healthy Times Brown Rice Cereal's ok to start with. :) Alicia ate it when she was quite young too and no problems..

i went to cold storage today and saw an organic brand. the box is blue on the top and the rest is white, a baby in the pic. forgot the brand name alrdy...
That's Bellamy :)

apollo

Actually I think Healthy Times Brown Rice Cereal's ok to start with. :) Alicia ate it when she was quite young too and no problems..

That's Bellamy :)
really? aiys i saw e last box of healthy rice cereal at NTUC and i didnt grab it!! my mum said she also started us with brown rice cereal when we were young but my frens all told me diffi to digest... v confusing..

so all the while Alicia has been eating healthy times brown cereal?? she started when she was 6mth old too??

and the bellamy, i also cant find the rice cereal!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! seems lik all these rice cereal are going OOS!!! :embarrassed:

wenz

i just started my baby on the Healthy Times Brown Rice Cereal on Friday, he seems to like it and the cereal smells nice...

snowbear

really? aiys i saw e last box of healthy rice cereal at NTUC and i didnt grab it!! my mum said she also started us with brown rice cereal when we were young but my friends all told me diffi to digest... very confusing..

so all the while Alicia has been eating healthy times brown cereal?? she started when she was 6mth old too??

and the bellamy, i also cant find the rice cereal!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! seems lik all these rice cereal are going OOS!!! :embarrassed:
yeah, she ate it at 6mths+. But she likes Healthy Times Oatmeal Cereal best though... :)

Try organic stores for Bellamy rice cereal..

Juan

my girl dun like the Healty time oatmeal cereal, too bad :(
so, I give her "Si Sen" brown rice powder mixed with Quacker oatmeal powder. At first, she not take too much but now she quite like it already.